Page 791 of 846 FirstFirst ... 291691741781789790791792793801841 ... LastLast
Results 7,901 to 7,910 of 8454

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Quote Originally Posted by bigfella View Post
    You mean the illegal ones with altered spacing carefully placed fixings etc that the police with all their camera technology seem to ignore!
    I suppose somebody has PC 49.

Probably on a 5 litre Range Rover Autograph.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by bigfella View Post
    You mean the illegal ones with altered spacing carefully placed fixings etc that the police with all their camera technology seem to ignore!
    Yes. And some of the legal ones!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post

Some absolute prats driving around and it seems to me that the majority of inconsiderate drivers tend to sport personalised number plates on their vehicles!
    In the equestrian world the BHS have an app and website to report traffic incidents and accidents. https://www.bhs.org.uk/our-work/safe...rt-an-incident Is there something similar in the cycling world?

I was a bit dubious as to how effective it might be when I first heard about it, but I now know of two local incidents where the police visited the homes of 'driving prats' after they were reported (one had been captured on go-pro, driving by on the other side of the road, fast, while sounding their horn!), the other involved three riders who corroborated the incident (driving by too close and fast) - so it seems to work.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    In the equestrian world the BHS have an app and website to report traffic incidents and accidents. https://www.bhs.org.uk/our-work/safe...rt-an-incident Is there something similar in the cycling world?

I was a bit dubious as to how effective it might be when I first heard about it, but I now know of two local incidents where the police visited the homes of 'driving prats' after they were reported (one had been captured on go-pro, driving by on the other side of the road, fast, while sounding their horn!), the other involved three riders who corroborated the incident (driving by too close and fast) - so it seems to work.
    I am not aware of one.

An upside of personalised plates is that they are usually easier to remember!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    You can report a cycling close pass etc if you have video evidence using this link
    https://nextbase.co.uk/national-dash-cam-safety-portal/

Certainly in the West Midlands, the police are very proactive on this and there have been many convictions as a result.

I have a cycliq rear light/camera combo and I've only felt the need to upload a video once. At the time it resulted in a warning for the driver but since the recent changes to the highway code, they could probably have now been prosecuted.
    I have always tried to be sensible about this as when I was commuting twice daily through city streets, I could probably have technically reported several close passes each week. Sad to say but you develop some kind of 6th sense after a while.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    You can report a cycling close pass etc if you have video evidence using this link
    https://nextbase.co.uk/national-dash-cam-safety-portal/

Certainly in the West Midlands, the police are very proactive on this and there have been many convictions as a result.

I have a cycliq rear light/camera combo and I've only felt the need to upload a video once. At the time it resulted in a warning for the driver but since the recent changes to the highway code, they could probably have now been prosecuted.
    I have always tried to be sensible about this as when I was commuting twice daily through city streets, I could probably have technically reported several close passes each week. Sad to say but you develop some kind of 6th sense after a while.
    That's good to hear. Actually, I think a warning is probably all most folks need. Having a panda car (I know they're not called that anymore - more's the worse )turn up outside your home and an authoritative rap on the front door, will be a sobering reminder to be much more mindful, next time they spot a rider whether on a horse or bike.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    That's good to hear. Actually, I think a warning is probably all most folks need. Having a panda car (I know they're not called that anymore - more's the worse )turn up outside your home and an authoritative rap on the front door, will be a sobering reminder to be much more mindful, next time they spot a rider whether on a horse or bike.
    I think most do just need a warning. Quite often they are plainly not aware of how much room they need to allow or are just unable to judge it correctly. And then there are those that think they own the road - I have a couple of narrow one way roads on my commute where it isn't actually possible to pass. These are always quite contentious and I've lost count of how many MGIFs (must get in front) and left hooks I've had. Another common theme is car drivers misjudging a cyclist's speed. Seeing a bike seems to get immediately interpreted as 'slow moving vehicle' when I'm certainly not most of the time!

Road.cc carries an ongoing daily news articles on their near miss if the day. Pretty sobering viewing at times...
    https://road.cc/news
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post

An upside of personalised plates is that they are usually easier to remember!

I used to be the Secretary of my small village Residents' Association in which there was a village school and an active quarry...so you can imagine the interactions spread over decades.

The owner of the quarry had a huge Range Rover with a vanity plate of his initials and a single low number. He and I used to "engage" and one day I queried why his vehicle now displayed a normal anonymous plate . His response was that "every body always knew where I was".

I did think that it had taken him rather a long time to realise that there is a down-side to flaunting a "look at me" registration plate

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    The owner of the quarry had a huge Range Rover with a vanity plate of his initials and a single low number. He and I used to "engage" and one day I queried why his vehicle now displayed a normal anonymous plate . His response was that "every body always knew where I was".

I did think that it had taken him rather a long time to realise that there is a down-side to flaunting a "look at me" registration plate
    In 1976, living on an anonymous Lichfield housing estate, my suburban boredom was improved somewhat by the building of a new private road opposite our house for three 'executive' houses with posh double garages. The houses subsequently sold, and the last house was bought by a Hong Kong property developer - who had a new Lamborghini Urraco P300.

Like all ten year old boys, and possibly a lot of much older males, I wanted to get a better look at this silver beauty so would sneak along the road to get a better look after he'd driven home. Imagine my utter surprise, and delight, when on one occasion he opened the garage to reveal a Lamborghini Miura inside.

Property development must have been good, because after a year he put a 'cherished' plate - 69 RH on the Urraco. But then it must have got even better, because the Urraco was replaced by a Lamborghini Countach with the 'cherished' plate, and a distinctive 'howl' (there's no other way to describe it). The car's 'howl' was so loud, and distinctive, that it could be heard inside, with all windows and doors shut, over the sound of the TV a full two minutes before the car came into view.

In terms of driving, I have no complaints about Mr H (I do know his name). He caught me once when I was on the bike and waited patiently behind until it was both wide enough and he knew that I'd seen him, before accelerating past using all 12 cylinders at an outrageous speed.

I think, Graham, you would probably call this 'If you've got it, flaunt it'

And for those who are wondering, nice as the Countach sounded, the Miura was the better sounding car

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    In 1976, living on an anonymous Lichfield housing estate, my suburban boredom was improved somewhat by the building of a new private road opposite our house for three 'executive' houses with posh double garages. The houses subsequently sold, and the last house was bought by a Hong Kong property developer - who had a new Lamborghini Urraco P300.

Like all ten year old boys, and possibly a lot of much older males, I wanted to get a better look at this silver beauty so would sneak along the road to get a better look after he'd driven home. Imagine my utter surprise, and delight, when on one occasion he opened the garage to reveal a Lamborghini Miura inside.

Property development must have been good, because after a year he put a 'cherished' plate - 69 RH on the Urraco. But then it must have got even better, because the Urraco was replaced by a Lamborghini Countach with the 'cherished' plate, and a distinctive 'howl' (there's no other way to describe it). The car's 'howl' was so loud, and distinctive, that it could be heard inside, with all windows and doors shut, over the sound of the TV a full two minutes before the car came into view.

In terms of driving, I have no complaints about Mr H (I do know his name). He caught me once when I was on the bike and waited patiently behind until it was both wide enough and he knew that I'd seen him, before accelerating past using all 12 cylinders at an outrageous speed.

I think, Graham, you would probably call this 'If you've got it, flaunt it'

And for those who are wondering, nice as the Countach sounded, the Miura was the better sounding car
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ni+espada+50th

Have you ever looked at Harry's Garage on youtube? Oh my!