Page 800 of 846 FirstFirst ... 300700750790798799800801802810 ... LastLast
Results 7,991 to 8,000 of 8454

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Moley,
    Sadly I have only just realised what a wonderful cycling area you live in after a recent stay at the C&C campsite in Rhandirmwyn.
    I was only running or walking then but vowed to bring the road bike back and do a day or two out beyond Llyn Brianne.
    You should have said you were there, we live only 200m away, opposite the church, maybe next time?

Anyway, today did one of my routes up the reservoir on road bike. 34 miles and 4350ft - that was enough thank you!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

The new tandem and new to tandeming was a great success over the last month in the french alps. We covered 500 miles mostly up the cols. (Izoard, Bonnette, Croix de Fer, Lacettes de montvernier, Telegraph and Galibier and many more). Going up is a bit slower but descending and riding on the level is comparable to the solos. We also received many shouts of "bon courage" from cyclists and cars slowing down for a gawk. There was a sportive going on as we went up the Galibier but it wasn't much busier than a normal weekend. The bloke at the top on the mike spotted us coming and gave us a full commentary resulting in a great cheer from the crowd. For the technical we have 50/34 chainring and a 11/42 rear cassette so plenty of choice although the lowest 2 gears weren't required (saving those for Honister) Getting the tandem was a great idea and has enabled us to carry on cycling together. I would recommend it to any others that can form a good team. Andy Beaty.
    One step beyond.

Moley, when I get my new bike, lets make a date and I will come over and do that ride with you!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Moley, when I get my new bike, lets make a date and I will come over and do that ride with you!
    Definately - hoping it is not electric road bike, or you will have to tow me up the hills!
    Forgot to mention, it includes a PBITMON pilgrimage!

A glorious evening for a tarmac and trail ride with a friend from Buxton who is a proper cyclist.
    Up to Chelmorton and then a blend of the High Peak and Tissington Trails via interconnecting bridleways.

Passing Pike Hall, all the infrastructure is ready for the Y Not festival. The HPT goes right through the camping area on a raised embankment giving views over towards the main stage. I cycled there one Saturday evening hoping to hear Madness but the usual westerly wind had decided not to blow so I heard nothing!
    This years event seems to have a Welsh flavour as both the Manic Street Preachers and The Stereophonics are headlining.

Back to Monyash along Derby Lane and then home via Magpie Mine. 35 miles, 1,827 feet in 2 hrs 33 min.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Same as last Wednesday I did my 34 miles 4350 ft, but this time found it very hard. Started with sore legs and struggled on the climbs - but ended with much the same time as before.

Had a little go at a longish technical (for me) downhill, found I was only 1 second out from V65 record, have it next time.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Set off this morning on the Croix de Fer in what can only be described as heavy drizzle, to do a tour of Commonwealth games venues - well those actually in the West Midlands and achievable in my 3 hour time allowance. First stop was the aquatic centre (probably as wet on the outside as in) and then off to Alexander Stadium via Sandwell valley where at least the rain eased off. A slight detour back through Handsworth to pick up the Birmingham main line canal at Smethwick which delivers you nicely at the Birmingham Arena. I took in the bull from the opening ceremony, now standing guard outside the library before heading off through the markets to do a loop of Smithfield now thankfully in sunshine.
    The NCR 5 takes you out of the city and out to Edgbaston where the Indian cricket fans were already in fine voice. Then up the 'blue route' to the University where the hockey had already started in front of what looked like a sell out crowd. Venues completed, I took in the Bournebrook walkway and Woodgate Valley Country park to see me home in just a shade over 40km with about half off-road or on cycle paths.
    Last edited by PeteS; 31-07-2022 at 06:02 PM.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Legs a bit tender after yesterdays run so this afternoon I went for a road ride on the Scott Solace. After chatting to my proper cyclist friend on my last ride he recommended I use lower tyre pressures. So instead of my usual 100psi I dropped it to 60.

Wow, what a more comfortable ride it was and no notable difference to handling and grip. I still need a comfier saddle but I was amazed at the difference in the ride.

Down to Youlgreave then up to Middleton, Friden and Biggin. Down to Hartington then up Long Dale to Earl Sterndale, Flagg and home

After yesterdays half marathon distance run todays ride was weirdly 26.21 miles! 2,400 feet in 1hr 49min.

Looking back at the route its scared me that that is how far I'll need to run, but at least it will be flat!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

About 21 miles and 1575ft, not very fast but did get into top 10 overall on a 3.6 kilometre segment climb. So happy oldie!

I've cycled these last 3 days, usually during the hotest periods (jobs to do in the cooler morning), but kept my outings around the hour mark so not overdoing it. Not ventured out on any longer rides as the hills and heat just sap me over time, today was a short ride of 21k and 350m of ascent - but found the hills in the blazing sun and small windless country lanes very hard work, that was enough.

And yesterday I made it into =5th fastest time on a short road section (under 2 minutes), rather pleased with myself as only 4 months short of 70, touring bike and still cycling in my running kit!
    Last edited by molehill; 12-08-2022 at 03:24 PM.