Page 801 of 847 FirstFirst ... 301701751791799800801802803811 ... LastLast
Results 8,001 to 8,010 of 8464

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Having woken up last Wednesday, not being able to put weight on my left foot because of pain in my heel, I have done no exercise whatsoever other than dog walks up to a mile.

So yesterday thought I would give the bike a go. Up to the A515 above Flagg and then numerous descents/ascents in the Dove and Manifold valleys via Crowdecote, Brund, Wetton, Ilam, Thorpe, Tissington, Bradbourne, Brassington, Parwich, Biggin and Hartington where a Latte and chilled Vanilla Slice were most welcome. Up to Parsley Hay, back over the A515, down to Monyash and home.

51 miles and 5,154 feet in 3hrs 50min.

Apart from it being, weather wise, a perfect day for cycling in beautiful surroundings there was not a great of deal of interest other than whilst in Bradbourne I noticed a sign "Bradbourne A Doubly Thankful Village"
    I had a rough idea of what it meant and on checking found that it is one of only 14 villages in England and Wales that had all it's soldiers return from both World Wars.

There are only 53 Thankful Villages which include the 14 Doubly Thankful ones.

Food for thought.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 17-08-2022 at 10:40 AM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Thats a big ride Llani!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post

51 miles and 5,154 feet in 3hrs 50min.

Jolly good.

I find once I am closer to 50 than 40 miles the ride starts to feel like work rather than pure pleasure - although I rode a total of 100+ miles last week - but that may be due to the sensitivity of my posterior.

I have never festooned the Bianchi with a saddle bag of any kind. Why would you buy something of beauty to ride and then make it look like something from Woolworth's? So "stuff" has to be carried on my person - which I dislike marginally less. I used to carry a "tool pod" where the second bidon would go but that obviously doesn't work on a two-bidon ride. A small rucksack is OK but then I fret about wind resistance. Problems problems!

Anyway I bought a new pod big enough for tools/tube/levers and so without the 'sack tested it to touch 43 mph on a nearby descent. I have convinced myself that is due to less wind resistance - rather than me suddenly finding another 50 watts - I am sure Newton or Einstein would agree.

Obviously, obviously this was on an unrestricted country road. One would not exceed 20 mph otherwise, would one?

Sometime later I was loudly pipped from behind on a main road when close to the kerb on a road I know extremely well. I did wonder why? Did the driver think I could not imagine on an A road there might be a motor vehicle behind me? Could I be so innocent? Was it my first excursion on the metalled roads of England?

But no - it was just an open-topped BMW, with a blonde in the passenger seat and a cyclist-hating driver behind the wheel.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    I have never festooned the Bianchi with a saddle bag of any kind. Why would you buy something of beauty to ride and then make it look like something from Woolworth's? So "stuff" has to be carried on my person - which I dislike marginally less. I used to carry a "tool pod" where the second bidon would go but that obviously doesn't work on a two-bidon ride. A small rucksack is OK but then I fret about wind resistance. Problems problems!

Anyway I bought a new pod big enough for tools/tube/levers and so without the 'sack tested it to touch 43 mph on a nearby descent. I have convinced myself that is due to less wind resistance - rather than me suddenly finding another 50 watts - I am sure Newton or Einstein would agree.
    I have said this before, but it may be worth mentioning again ...

In my 42 years of riding a collection of racing bikes, from the very cheap to exotic pro-grade machines, I have only had 1 puncture that wasn't a 'hisser'. I discovered, at the age of 15, that a half roll of insulating tape and a pump was sufficient to get me home. On rides of less than 50 miles (which is pretty much all my rides) this is all the equipment I take.

For those who are interested, the technique is to flatten the tube to around 20psi and then wrap the insulating tape across the tyre and around the rim several times. Then pump the tyre up hard, so there is a dip in the tyre where the tape crosses. The inner tube, when pumped up hard, will press the punctured part against the restriction reducing the air loss to a trickle. The tyre will require re-pumping every 5-10 miles dependant on a variety of factors. For those who use rim brakes, just remember to brake on the other wheel.

The one non-'hisser' puncture I have had was a total front wheel blow-out on a Clément tubular (exotic racing tyre). These have a very thin inner-tube stitched inside an outer casing. The inner-tube had a hole in it the size of your thumbnail, and the outer casing (with the tread on it) had a 40mm rip on it diagonally across the tyre.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I have said this before, but it may be worth mentioning again ...

In my 42 years of riding a collection of racing bikes, from the very cheap to exotic pro-grade machines, I have only had 1 puncture that wasn't a 'hisser'. I discovered, at the age of 15, that a half roll of insulating tape and a pump was sufficient to get me home. On rides of less than 50 miles (which is pretty much all my rides) this is all the equipment I take.

For those who are interested, the technique is to flatten the tube to around 20psi and then wrap the insulating tape across the tyre and around the rim several times. Then pump the tyre up hard, so there is a dip in the tyre where the tape crosses. The inner tube, when pumped up hard, will press the punctured part against the restriction reducing the air loss to a trickle. The tyre will require re-pumping every 5-10 miles dependant on a variety of factors. For those who use rim brakes, just remember to brake on the other wheel.

The one non-'hisser' puncture I have had was a total front wheel blow-out on a Clément tubular (exotic racing tyre). These have a very thin inner-tube stitched inside an outer casing. The inner-tube had a hole in it the size of your thumbnail, and the outer casing (with the tread on it) had a 40mm rip on it diagonally across the tyre.
    Marco,

Thank you for this reminder.

Your previous contributions to the Forum on cycling matters have always been worth serious consideration - as with this.

I can only recall ever changing one inner tube al fresco and even then I was only 4 miles from home so could easily have walked home. When I was further away from home I just walked to the nearest railway station.

I think carrying "stuff" is a triumph of irrationality over logic - and I am guilty.

Marco,

Thank you for this reminder.

Your previous contributions to the Forum on cycling matters have always been worth serious consideration - as with this.

I can only recall ever changing one inner tube al fresco and even then I was only 4 miles from home so could easily have walked home. When I was further away from home I just walked to the nearest railway station.

I think carrying "stuff" is a triumph of irrationality over logic - and I am guilty.
    It is better to carry too much kit rather than too little, just like it is on the fells

If you use good tyres, which you most definitely do , and pump them up to recommended pressures (the rear is likely to be more than the front) and inspect for cuts, stone damage and flat spots regularly (ideally before every ride), then you will very rarely puncture if you stay on the tarmac.

I have vivid memories of changing an inner-tube in a bus shelter in Wirksworth, (it was a Sunday I should point out), sheltered from the piddling rain, and I've lost count of the number I have changed by the side of the road (club cycling in a group etiquette is that you must change the inner-tube).

Only last year I encountered a man standing by his bike, which was on its back with the rear wheel missing, a third of a mile from the Coventry canal. I offered my services, as good etiquette demands, and to my disappointment he said he did require my help.

He couldn't get the tyre off with his tyre levers. There was nothing wrong with the levers, he just lacked the technique, so I took the tyre off showing him how to do it in the process. I then threw the punctured tube onto the verge and said

"Have you got a spare inner-tube?"

"No" he replied.

I gasped at this, as I was having difficulty in not calling him a flaming idiot (or a lot worse).

"So how are you going to fix it?" I asked

"I've got a puncture repair kit" he said, proudly.

At this point I said I would have to leave him. For those of you who think I am a heartless so and so, I should point out we were 100m from working earth-moving equipment at the HS2 site, 200m from the West Coast mainline railway, 400m from the raised A38 (one of the busiest non-motorways in the country), there were cows the other side of the hedge, regular car traffic on the lane, and there was a gentle breeze coming across the flat plain. The chances of finding a puncture, without water, in such a location were virtually zero, so I suggested he explore the field of cows for a water trough.

The moral of this sad story is that if you do carry tyre levers, make sure you carry a spare inner-tube as well

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    It is better to carry too much kit rather than too little, just like it is on the fells

If you use good tyres, which you most definitely do , and pump them up to recommended pressures (the rear is likely to be more than the front) and inspect for cuts, stone damage and flat spots regularly (ideally before every ride), then you will very rarely puncture if you stay on the tarmac.

I have vivid memories of changing an inner-tube in a bus shelter in Wirksworth, (it was a Sunday I should point out), sheltered from the piddling rain, and I've lost count of the number I have changed by the side of the road (club cycling in a group etiquette is that you must change the inner-tube).

Only last year I encountered a man standing by his bike, which was on its back with the rear wheel missing, a third of a mile from the Coventry canal. I offered my services, as good etiquette demands, and to my disappointment he said he did require my help.

He couldn't get the tyre off with his tyre levers. There was nothing wrong with the levers, he just lacked the technique, so I took the tyre off showing him how to do it in the process. I then threw the punctured tube onto the verge and said

"Have you got a spare inner-tube?"

"No" he replied.

I gasped at this, as I was having difficulty in not calling him a flaming idiot (or a lot worse).

"So how are you going to fix it?" I asked

"I've got a puncture repair kit" he said, proudly.

At this point I said I would have to leave him. For those of you who think I am a heartless so and so, I should point out we were 100m from working earth-moving equipment at the HS2 site, 200m from the West Coast mainline railway, 400m from the raised A38 (one of the busiest non-motorways in the country), there were cows the other side of the hedge, regular car traffic on the lane, and there was a gentle breeze coming across the flat plain. The chances of finding a puncture, without water, in such a location were virtually zero, so I suggested he explore the field of cows for a water trough.

The moral of this sad story is that if you do carry tyre levers, make sure you carry a spare inner-tube as well
    Well that story made me laugh.

And my two spare Vittoria Rubino Pro Control Graphene 2.0 700x25 are hanging up in my garage now.

I find once I am closer to 50 than 40 miles the ride starts to feel like work rather than pure pleasure - although I rode a total of 100+ miles last week - but that may be due to the sensitivity of my posterior.

I used to carry a "tool pod" where the second bidon would go but that obviously doesn't work on a two-bidon ride. A small rucksack is OK but then I fret about wind resistance. Problems problems!
    There is a solution for this, as a lot of bikes don't have fixings for two bottle cages (I've never ridden one that has).

Hydration in sport is a serious subject, as even slight dehydration causes a significant reduction in power output. And it's not just running and cycling, as I first noticed it in fell walking where I 'lost interest' towards the end of a walk, and my then walking partner had a habit of falling over.

If your bike doesn't have two bottle cages, or you want to carry kit in the second one, I would recommend the extra large bottles. Below is a photo of two free, (if you spend more than 20 quid), bottles I have acquired over the last 10 years. I measured them last night, and the one on the left will hold 550ml if filled to the brim, whilst the one on the right will hold 800ml.

The good news is that the bigger bottle will fit a standard bottle cage, as pictured below

In very warm weather, or if you plan to ride over two hours, it is probably worth drinking 500ml before you start as well

I waited for the one very black cloud to pass slowly overhead before I set off on a humid teatime ride. Up to Taddington, across the A6 and down into Millers Dale where I took a left up to Wormhill before the nice descent to Peak Forest. Up the steep long double bend and then left at the top, up to and over Tideswell and Hucklow Moor's. Beautiful views over a sunlit Kinder and Win Hill. Across to Windmill, Great Hucklow and then up to The Barrel. It was a fast descent down into Eyam and all I was thinking was that I would have all that height to gain on Tuesday in the Barrel Fell Race, albeit by a different and steeper route.

From Eyam, along to Foolow and Wardlow Mires, where I stopped to see a pal for 15 minutes and then up over the "scratter", before down to Monsal Head and Ashford. Into Bakewell on the A6 and then up the hill home.

Surprisingly quiet on the roads but there seemed to be a campsite in every direction one looked. A sticky 35 miles, 3,609 feet in 2 hrs 28 min.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 27-08-2022 at 10:26 PM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Well that story made me laugh.

And my two spare Vittoria Rubino Pro Control Graphene 2.0 700x25 are hanging up in my garage now.
    I have today changed both my tyres after 5303 miles of puncture-free road riding because the rear tyre was showing vulnerability from skid wear.

I don't know if "graphene" makes the slightest bit of difference to puncture susceptibility or is just hype - but for the present, I'm a believer.

(and 341 miles in August so far on my beautiful Bianchi which still makes my heart sing with joy).