Page 802 of 847 FirstFirst ... 302702752792800801802803804812 ... LastLast
Results 8,011 to 8,020 of 8464

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    I have today changed both my tyres after 5303 miles of puncture-free road riding because the rear tyre was showing vulnerability from skid wear.

I don't know if "graphene" makes the slightest bit of difference to puncture susceptibility or is just hype - but for the present, I'm a believer.
    Whilst I can't fault your tyre choice, your tactics for changing them may have room for improvement. If you'd swapped the back for the front around the 3000 mile point, you could probably have reached 7000 miles before replacing them. Unless you ride very differently to me, the front tyre will still have little in the way of wear after 5303 miles. If you put it onto the back after 3000 miles it will be like a new tyre on the back and a lightly worn one on the front.

It isn't just wear that determines a tyre's useable lifespan, as UV ages tyres considerably - being a major factor in the 'perishing' process. This is why, if possible, you should store your tyres in the dark.

On the subject of graphene, I'm even less certain about the benefits than you. The claims are that it improves grip and puncture resistance. I have Vittoria Zaffiro Pro tyres on one bike, and Vittoria Zaffiro Pro with graphene 2.0 on another. Can I tell the difference? No I can't! If I ride like a hooligan on the empty country roads, (my default style), I can induce lift-off oversteer on both types of tyre. (It is an endearing feature of Vittoria tyres that they are happy to tolerate the use of opposite lock steering mid way through a bend.)

I haven't fitted any new tyres since I got a GPS device to accurately record mileage, so I have only a very rough idea of how long they last. I have a pair of Vittoria Rubino Pro racing slicks (not with Graphene) to fit next year, so I should be able to record accurate mileage figures for them.

47 miles and 5450ft, very slowly!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Whilst I can't fault your tyre choice, your tactics for changing them may have room for improvement. If you'd swapped the back for the front around the 3000 mile point, you could probably have reached 7000 miles before replacing them. Unless you ride very differently to me, the front tyre will still have little in the way of wear after 5303 miles. If you put it onto the back after 3000 miles it will be like a new tyre on the back and a lightly worn one on the front.

It isn't just wear that determines a tyre's useable lifespan, as UV ages tyres considerably - being a major factor in the 'perishing' process. This is why, if possible, you should store your tyres in the dark.

On the subject of graphene, I'm even less certain about the benefits than you. The claims are that it improves grip and puncture resistance. I have Vittoria Zaffiro Pro tyres on one bike, and Vittoria Zaffiro Pro with graphene 2.0 on another. Can I tell the difference? No I can't! If I ride like a hooligan on the empty country roads, (my default style), I can induce lift-off oversteer on both types of tyre. (It is an endearing feature of Vittoria tyres that they are happy to tolerate the use of opposite lock steering mid way through a bend.)

I haven't fitted any new tyres since I got a GPS device to accurately record mileage, so I have only a very rough idea of how long they last. I have a pair of Vittoria Rubino Pro racing slicks (not with Graphene) to fit next year, so I should be able to record accurate mileage figures for them.
    Your points are valid. I have disposed of the rear tyre but the old front tyre is hanging up in my (dark) garage in case of (I know not what!).

Graphene tyres are like taking Omega 3 and Turmeric for joints or eating oily fish - it may all be mumbo jumbo but by the time we know - it's too late to rewind.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Your points are valid. I have disposed of the rear tyre but the old front tyre is hanging up in my (dark) garage in case of (I know not what!).
    It's a foldable tyre, so I would fold it into an old shoe box and keep it in your garage as a spare. It will probably be good for at least two years.

I'm not expecting you to get a bad cut on one of your tyres, but I once hit a large, jagged, rock on a Pyrenean descent at around 45mph. (I was following someone, so saw it really late and couldn't swerve it.) It cut the tyre to the casing, causing the inner-tube to partially bulge. It was in the middle of nowhere, but this being a Vittoria tyre I was able to ride, slightly more carefully than normal, 25 miles to where we were staying and change the tyre in the hotel garage.

Graphene tyres are like taking Omega 3 and Turmeric for joints or eating oily fish - it may all be mumbo jumbo but by the time we know - it's too late to rewind.
    The good people at Vittoria have taken the decision away from you now Graham. Only the bottom tyre of the road range, the Zaffiro which is non-folding, are available without Graphene.

As for taking Omega 3 and Turmeric for joints or eating oily fish, there may not be clear evidence to support it, but there is some for general health which is enough for me.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill

Graphene tyres are like taking Omega 3 and Turmeric for joints or eating oily fish
    No, herrings taste much nicer than graphene.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    No, herrings taste much nicer than graphene.
    For some reason pipe fitters and pipe welders all eat tinned herring.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Nice one Moley! Bigger than my recent 45 mile 4000ft cycle over to The Tumble and back. I went well until my wheels fell off. I had not paid sufficient attention to hydration and suffered horrible quads cramp 4 miles from home. You've got a nanosecond to twist your foot out of the cleat before your leg goes rigid in mind-buggering pain. If you fail, you risk toppling into a hedge or an artic!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Bloody cleats, I went in the ditch up a steep hill, then can't get started again on a steep incline so had to walk a section. Doesn't help my cleats are totally knackered and I was too. Yes, we must try a ride out sometime (over here?).

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    Bloody cleats, I went in the ditch up a steep hill,...
    Your cleats rode you into the ditch...?

They need a good talking to.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 04-09-2022 at 11:16 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Your cleats rode you into the ditch...?

They need a good talking to.
    Sounds like a plausible excuse to take home.....but the truth is more that my legs slowly failed and I wobbled into the ditch as I ground to a standstill 😥