Page 807 of 847 FirstFirst ... 307707757797805806807808809817 ... LastLast
Results 8,061 to 8,070 of 8464

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Quote Originally Posted by bigfella View Post
    So was metrication was a waste of time and money?
    No - but civilisation is a slow process.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Well considering all road signs are still in miles and we drink pints, you would have to say yes to some extent.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Well considering all road signs are still in miles and we drink pints, you would have to say yes to some extent.
    Railway distances still include measurement in chains but I suspect they don't teach chains to the mile in enlightened educational institutions

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Railway distances still include measurement in chains but I suspect they don't teach chains to the mile in enlightened educational institutions
    But it is 80 chains to a mile - 10 chains to a furlong - for anyone for whom it has been a while since they were last in a classroom.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 15-11-2022 at 01:16 AM.

From my schooldays I also recall the "Rod, Pole or Perch", looking it up now for clarification I see it described by wiki as:

[I]The rod, perch, or pole (sometimes also lug) is a surveyor's tool[1] and unit of length of various historical definitions, often between approximately 3 and 8 meters (9 ft 10 in and 26 ft 2 in). In modern US customary units it is defined as 16+1⁄2 US survey feet, equal to exactly 1⁄320 of a surveyor's mile, or a quarter of a surveyor's chain (5+1⁄2 yards), and is approximately 5.0292 meters. The rod is useful as a unit of length because whole number multiples of it can form one acre of square measure (area). The 'perfect acre'[2] is a rectangular area of 43,560 square feet, bounded by sides 660 feet (a furlong) long and 66 feet wide (220 yards by 22 yards) or, equivalently, 40 rods and 4 rods. An acre is therefore 160 square rods or 10 square chains./I]

Maybe metrication isn't so bad after all!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    From my schooldays I also recall the "Rod, Pole or Perch", looking it up now for clarification I see it described by wiki as:

[I]The rod, perch, or pole (sometimes also lug) is a surveyor's tool[1] and unit of length of various historical definitions, often between approximately 3 and 8 meters (9 ft 10 in and 26 ft 2 in). In modern US customary units it is defined as 16+1⁄2 US survey feet, equal to exactly 1⁄320 of a surveyor's mile, or a quarter of a surveyor's chain (5+1⁄2 yards), and is approximately 5.0292 meters. The rod is useful as a unit of length because whole number multiples of it can form one acre of square measure (area). The 'perfect acre'[2] is a rectangular area of 43,560 square feet, bounded by sides 660 feet (a furlong) long and 66 feet wide (220 yards by 22 yards) or, equivalently, 40 rods and 4 rods. An acre is therefore 160 square rods or 10 square chains./I]

Maybe metrication isn't so bad after all!
    When my diary is too raunchy to read I calm myself down by looking at the Weights and Measures page.

On the left under UK Imperial Units I can read that there are 4 pecks to a bushel and 8 bushels to a quarter but on the right under Metric Units see nothing other than a 1 or a 0.

Order and tranquility.

For those that only understand miles and feet, I have done the hard conversions for you 😁.
    On the gravel bike today did some hard uphill. 10.5 miles for 1755 feet.

Thats pretty brutal for a little mole!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Thats pretty brutal for a little mole!
    It felt pretty brutal - didn't go round the second time 😱

As my achilles is already playing me up following a 3 mile slow jog on near flat there's more bike hill work.
    Out for short ride before dark at local MTB forest tracks, 11.5 miles and 1600ft, had a PB on a climb that pushed me up to 2nd on my age category for the SAGA segment. A solid 11 minute climb but need to find another minute faster in next 3 weeks - before I go up an age bracket!