Page 810 of 847 FirstFirst ... 310710760800808809810811812820 ... LastLast
Results 8,091 to 8,100 of 8464

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    ... failures during rides.
    Failures?

I decided to start the new year with my current favourite 44 mile loop to the very posh villages/hamlets west of Collingham/ Linton which are merely posh. They are surrounded by farm land and the houses are more likely to be named "The Old Post Office" than "Dun Romin". Idyllically tranquil comes to mind.

So zipping along without a care in the world I had reached Dunkeswick (a one street village) with 17 miles to home when the "Quick Link" in my Campagnolo 11 speed chain decided to go walk about. And disappear.

It is a humbling experience to look at one's chain lying uselessly in the road and contemplate the oncoming rain clouds and darkness whilst wondering if four layers will be enough to stave off hyperthermia before rescue arrives.

Of the options I considered I decided that calling on my children was the cheapest and, as an added bonus, would give them great pleasure. Not least since both have birthdays in January.

Marco will no doubt say "but surely you carry a spare Quick Link?" to which my answer is "I will now", knowing that it will never, never happen again.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 03-01-2023 at 07:16 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post

So zipping along without a care in the world I had reached Dunkeswick (a one street village) with 17 miles to home when the "quick link" in my Campagnolo chain decided to go walk about. And disappear.

It is a humbling experience to look at one's chain lying uselessly in the road and contemplate the oncoming rain clouds and darkness whilst wondering if four layers will be enough to stave off hyperthermia before rescue arrives.

Of the options I considered I decided that calling on my children was the cheapest and as an added bonus that would give them great pleasure. Not least since both have birthdays in January.

Marco will no doubt say "but surely you carry a spare Quick Link?" to which my answer is "I do now".
    You'd better sit down, Graham.

I have never used Quick Link, or any other similar product, all of my chains are rivitted. There, I've said it, you can stand up now.

I've nothing against them, I just haven't used one yet. As you've mentioned Campagnolo, for balance I should point out that I was persuaded to buy a 9 speed Shimano Dura-Ace chain in 2004, (it was worth the extra, I was told), and it's still on my fancy bike. And when I re-sprayed the frame, I covered up the chain and sprayed the frame in two halves. Never had a problem with it; never de-greased it, just apply Shell Gemini 10w40 engine oil to it from time to time.

It's worth pointing out that it is possible to ride with a broken chain, you just pedal one rotation forward and then one back - repeatedly. It does run the chain ends along the road, so it's not desirable, but in desperate times it's worth considering.

Last Monday I worked up the enthusiasm to do a hill sesssion on the bike up the road on forestry MTB route (I ride to the start at top and then back down again, not going on the actual route as that's silly stuff). As I turn off the road the rear mech cable snaps inside the hood on handle bar, luckily only a mile from home as it would have been hard work in the one gear!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    You'd better sit down, Graham.

I have never used Quick Link, or any other similar product, all of my chains are rivitted. There, I've said it, you can stand up now.

I've nothing against them, I just haven't used one yet. As you've mentioned Campagnolo, for balance I should point out that I was persuaded to buy a 9 speed Shimano Dura-Ace chain in 2004, (it was worth the extra, I was told), and it's still on my fancy bike. And when I re-sprayed the frame, I covered up the chain and sprayed the frame in two halves. Never had a problem with it; never de-greased it, just apply Shell Gemini 10w40 engine oil to it from time to time.

It's worth pointing out that it is possible to ride with a broken chain, you just pedal one rotation forward and then one back - repeatedly. It does run the chain ends along the road, so it's not desirable, but in desperate times it's worth considering.
    Well I was used to riveted chains in my youth - but the world has gone to the dogs since then.

I appreciate the technique you describe - but one has one's dignity. Somebody might have seen me and for 17 miles, much better to call my daughter! I had a half-offer of being taken home by tractor + wagon since my daughter has links to local farmers but...back to dignity!

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Failures?
    Despite my neuroses, serious failures have actually been very rare for me. A catastrophic failure of a bottom bracket did once prevent me getting to a fell race, but I don't recall ever having a chain breaking. Having hub gears greatly reduces the likelihood of failures in the transmission, but the downside is that it can be a faff removing and replacing the wheel when a puncture occurs. Since getting a Shimano Alfine 8 hub for my Hetchins, I haven't had a puncture, but although the diagrams make it look easy, I am not looking forward to my first experience of getting the wheel off and back on with that.

I decided to start the new year with my current favourite 44 mile loop to the very posh villages/hamlets west of Collingham/ Linton which are merely posh.
    I hadn't realised that there was a third Linton in Yorkshire. I knew of Linton-on-Ouse and Linton-in-Craven, and now you have revealed that there is a Linton near Wetherby.

For some years my Head of Department was a Professor Linton, who was a keen supporter of Leeds United. It's all starting to make sense now; it's a Yorkshire thing.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

I hadn't realised that there was a third Linton in Yorkshire. I knew of Linton-on-Ouse and Linton-in-Craven, and now you have revealed that there is a Linton near Wetherby.

For some years my Head of Department was a Professor Linton, who was a keen supporter of Leeds United. It's all starting to make sense now; it's a Yorkshire thing.
    And here's a fourth one for your collection, and this one is in Derbyshire

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.7509.../data=!3m1!1e3

And it's next to Church Gresley, as in Sir Nigel Gresley (one for Graham) as this was their family seat.

You could cycle to this one Anthony

Despite my neuroses, serious failures have actually been very rare for me. A catastrophic failure of a bottom bracket did once prevent me getting to a fell race, but I don't recall ever having a chain breaking. Having hub gears greatly reduces the likelihood of failures in the transmission, but the downside is that it can be a faff removing and replacing the wheel when a puncture occurs. Since getting a Shimano Alfine 8 hub for my Hetchins, I haven't had a puncture, but although the diagrams make it look easy, I am not looking forward to my first experience of getting the wheel off and back on with that.
    It is very, very unlikely that you will break a chain when using a hub gear transmission, as the chain line is straight; it's the chain running at an angle that causes problems.

I would recommend, however, that you have a practice run of taking off, and putting back, your rear wheel. If I was in your position I would make sure I'd done it at home in dry conditions, so I knew what tools and techniques were required, before venturing away from home.

Just as a murderer returns to the scene of the crime, this evening I did a 30 miles ride through Dunkeswick so I could kick the tarmac which upset by Quick Link so much as to commit hara-kiri by disconnecting to fall into the gutter - where it now belongs.

Since my best bike has been pampered and shampooed and is awaiting its trip to be smothered in TLC by my Bianchi dealer (in the Mercedes so it doesn't get dusty) I had to use the Boardman Adventure bike for today's jolly trip out. This decision is never based on joy. The weight! The ponderousness! Those clunky tyres!

However it must be said it does float - did I say float? - over the appalling road situated between Pool and Arthington. I saw a tractor the size of a barn on the road tonight and it looked quite at home gliding over the disintegrating, fissured ravines of tarmac - headlights blazing.

Since I knew it would be proper dark on the return loop I took my Hope light. I loved fell racing in the dark with this and now use it on my bikes.

One has to feel one has got one's money's worth doesn't one?
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 07-01-2023 at 09:28 PM.

Having been under the weather for the last three weeks with bunged up ears, headaches, constant yawning and being unable to concentrate I thought a bike ride in the cold might sort me out.

After getting fed up with waiting for a pea souper in the village to lift I set off at 1pm. Along the road towards Monyash and within a mile I was in sunshine and blue skies. Up past Magpie Mine to Taddington and then along Moor Lane to Chelmorton. Heading up a north facing steep single track road towards the 515 I was confronted by a BMW Z3, hairdressers car, sliding slowly backwards, and snaking from side to side, on the compacted icy surface towards me. I obviously didn't want to stop, for fear of not getting going again, so I waited until it was a cars length away and made my move, on some crisp snow, up its nearside. Around 50 yards further up and near the brow the road was dry as the sun had been on it. Here I met a bloke in a 4x4 going like the clappers. I unclipped and flagged him down, and after a glance at the nice bit of crumpet in his passenger seat, I informed him of the hazard ahead to which he replied "this will stop on a sixpence".
    I thought to myself, at the speed you were going to hit that ice, matey, you'd be lucky to stop in 60 yds never mind on a sixpence.
    I did not hear any bangs or crashes so I assume all was well, although my ears are bunged up!
    Across the 515 and along the bridleway to the Earl Sterndale road. A left turn and past Wheeldon Trees and down Long Dale to Parsley Hay. After a 10 minute stop for Hot Chocolate I followed the Tissington Trail to Biggin where I joined tarmac again up to Heathcote where the pond was frozen. Into the bottom of Long Dale and up again to Parsley Hay. To Hurdlow on the High Peak Trail and then tarmac again to Monyash and home via Horse Lane and Magpie Mine.

A total of 30 miles, 2'205 feet in 2hrs 29 min. Most of the ride was on tarmac of which about 2 miles were covered in compacted snow/ice. All of the trail surface was compacted/crunchy snow/ice.

A very enjoyable ride although very cold, especially on the descents. It hasn't cured my lurgy but I feel much better when I am active out in the fresh air.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

First road bike ride of the year today on the Scott Solace. Over to Chelmorton, Brierlow Bar and on to Earl Sterndale. Down to Glutton Bridge, from where Parkhouse and Chrome Hill's looked good with a coating of snow still present. Up through the temporary traffic lights, they've only been there around 20 years, into Longnor and then along the Manifold Valley to the Reaps Moor turn off. Up onto the moor, where I counted 6 roadside twitchers, and then down into Warslow. To Hartington, via Hulme End, where I stopped for a Hot Chocolate.

Up Long Dale to Parsley Hay and then home via Monyash and Horse Lane. A lovely sunny winters day with only a gentle breeze. The roads were mainly dry apart from a few stretches that don't get the sun. I got my layers just right for the temperature but my feet were a bit cold by the time I got home at 3.30. A total of 30 miles, 2'970 feet in 2 hrs 11 mins. No other cyclists seen and my ears are still bunged up!
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 24-01-2023 at 12:03 AM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog