Page 823 of 847 FirstFirst ... 323723773813821822823824825833 ... LastLast
Results 8,221 to 8,230 of 8468

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Only a cad drives a Jaguar.
    What does a bounder drive?

I had a lovely morning going north from Derby via Brassington and Bakewell to Great Longstone to a recording studio!
    2nd day, so I’d left my stuff there and got ready in time for the start. Great day.
    Got a lift back part way and then popped to the Co-op for a couple of lovely Italian beers in the garden.
    Then realised I’d left my trumpet mouthpiece with a mate that I need for another recording in Derby tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by felltrumpet View Post
    What does a bounder drive?
    If they have boy racer inclinations - a BMW.

Which reminds me - there was a Lamborghini parked outside Betty's in Ilkley this Sunday morning. So flash!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    If they have boy racer inclinations - a BMW.

Which reminds me - there was a Lamborghini parked outside Betty's in Ilkley this Sunday morning. So flash!
    We’re you inside breaking your fast Graham?
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

61m today, an improvised route on a hot day, but the scenery was supreme. I decided to get to skyreholme by going over greenhow, but went for the rancid A59 up to kex gill then took hoodstorth lane past west end. It's a road not often travelled with punchy climbs and great views. The tea room was packed with people crashed out on the grass and a half hour wait for food, so I headed straight for the craven arms for some refreshments. The ascent of the chevin on the way back was a grind, just had to settle in and keep pushing. My right wrist is badly sunburnt, it's where I put a buff when I run so it's only just started seeing the sun. Quite a few cocks in Audi's around Bolton abbey.

Word on the street is that buffers has reopened.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    We’re you inside breaking your fast Graham?
    Ha ha. It was probably owned by a tourist come to see how refined folk of good taste and quality live.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

After Ras Y Gader my legs felt ok on Sunday so I decided to have a late afternoon ride down the A470 from Llanidloes to Rhayader and back.

Other than being quite busy with traffic transporting Brummies home from a weekend at the seaside there was not much to report until a black Mercedes Estate passed me a little too close for comfort and as it did so decided to clear its windscreen of flies which resulted in me getting a face full of screen wash. It hadn't been diluted either as it stank. Fortunately none of it got in my eyes.

Once in Rhayader there was a bit of a kerfuffle going on outside The Lamb with some bare chested, lobster skinned lads who had obviously had been on the ale all day. I decided not to stop and gawp, just in case, as Rhayader is known to be a bit Wild West.

Straight back to Llani into a headwind, a total of 30 miles, 1,280 feet in 1hr 45min.

The DOMS have kicked in today and I can hardly walk

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I'd like to assure you that although I had been to the seaside this weekend, I drive a VW van and had not been on the A470.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I will leave it to the more dedicated cyclists (Marco?) to judge whether having done a fell race the day before is a valid excuse for taking a boring route along valleys, when you could have had all the excitement of the direct route along the B4518.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

As scenic as they are there was no way was I doing the Tylwch and Pant y dwr hills AK, they've bitten me before! Unfortunately the only flatish, decent tarmac in that neck of the woods is the A470.

South of Llanidloes the A470 has been very much improved over the years with wide verges and mostly open views across corners so cyclists can be easily seen.

North of Llanidloes is a different matter. No verges, blind series of bends, old railway bridges with 90 degree turns and a poor surface all the way to Dinas Mawddwy. From there the A470 becomes a decent and very scenic road to Dolwyddelan.