Page 824 of 847 FirstFirst ... 324724774814822823824825826834 ... LastLast
Results 8,231 to 8,240 of 8464

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Happy memories of the b4518 on a bike…living in Tylwch there was no escaping those hills at some point. Though the little back road towards llangurig got used a bit!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Nice circuit on the tandem from Kirkby Stephen taking in Buttertubs and the cobbles of Dent today. All of the verge side posts in situ ready for Appleby fair week and diggers were lifting large rocks off trucks to block laybys.
    One step beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by SCOOT View Post
    Nice circuit on the tandem from Kirkby Stephen taking in Buttertubs and the cobbles of Dent today.
    Yes nice.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

36.5m to addingham and back with a couple of hilly detours today. I took the fell road from Ilkley to Bolton abbey that runs under the beacon, only to find that the long cruise down was a long push down due to tar and chip resurfacing. The surface has not been swept and probably won't be, it didn't look rollered either and they had gone straight over holes and mud chunks. It's a ruined road and won't be passable on anything other than a gravel bike as a minimum for about 6mths due to the scant amount of traffic around to compact it. Avoid it. I ate too much at the pub in addingham and bogged system down resulting in a minor bonk heading up to cow and calf. However this gave me the opportunity to visit the shouty Italian man at the café and get some sugar down me. Probably got around 1700' of climb in.

In a mood of euphoria following Roglic's brilliant Giro victory I thought I would savour this and the return of my beautiful B**nch* from Woodrups of Leeds (established in 1949) with a 33 mile pootle through Burnsall to Threshfield and back via Cracoe, Calendar Girls land and passing the Craven Heifer, made famous by Mr B. on this Forum.

I assembled the full B**nch* ensemble, bidon, top,...I am sure the local Lamborghini owner took his foot of the gas to slow down as he saw me approach... and all in all a nice day out.

But back to Roglic: I think it is pretty cool to take the jersey for the first time on the penultimate day. It gives the impression that you leave the baubles for lesser men because you know that overall victory will be yours so why divert your focus on PR duties?

Interestingly Cycling Weekly named Roglic as the favourite before the Giro started - and not Evenepoel. So it got that right.

Anyway my next ride will take me over 1300 miles this year, we are still in May and it isn't even Summer.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 28-05-2023 at 08:24 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

A ‘Carlsberg’ bike ride this morning on holiday on Anglesey.
    Newborough Forest on the mountain bike.
    Glorious.
    Got to now clean the drivetrain of all the sand ready for a very early morning jaunt up Snowdon on Wednesday.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    With the Spring weather being so wet until a couple of weeks ago, I have been keeping off the bridleways on my bike. But today I used the bridleways from Woodhouse to Swithland and through Swithland Wood.

Back on the roads on my way home, I annoyed Lee in his black Ferrari. There I was, plodding slowly up a fairly gentle hill, and became aware of a car waiting behind me as a stream of traffic came past in the opposite direction; when the road was eventually clear, the Ferrari, registration 35LEE, came past, making a stupid amount of noise.

A short ride, and rather slow, as I start rebuilding fitness after Covid.
    Last edited by anthonykay; 29-05-2023 at 03:07 PM.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

56m yesterday, quite a chilly start to the day with little sunshine around. Headed to the fewston parocial hall for tea and cake via low snowdon, which is a nice little detour. Once again the parcevall hall cafe was heaving so i gave it a miss, this is now becoming a not to well kept secret. After 3 pints at the craven arms i decided to check out the revamped buffers; it's a bit different from the last one, but the food is still well priced and they have some sort of event space upstairs. There is a vinyl record player with a selection of LPs, and a vintage raleigh road bike on a roller setup of some sort. It's still worth visiting.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

A chilly end to the day too, when after 5 hours lawn mowing, I decided to give the legs a spin.

At 7.30pm a nice steady out and back gravel ride to Alsop Moor on the High Peak and Tissington Trails. A glorious evening under the setting sun but damn chilly in the stiff easterly breeze. A fantastic display of Hawthorn blossom and also a very heady aroma. It is one of those smells that I can't decide whether it is pleasant or not.

A total of 23 miles, 735 feet in 1hr 40 mins. The trails are now so dry that my bike was covered in a layer of limestone dust. Surprisingly I only saw 5 other people the whole time I was out and 2 of those were photographers snapping the sunset.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    A fantastic display of Hawthorn blossom and also a very heady aroma. It is one of those smells that I can't decide whether it is pleasant or not.
    Is it just me, or has the hawthorn blossom been particularly prolific this year? I have really been noticing it on walks and cycle rides for the last few weeks, and was wondering whether it was just that I hadn't been so observant in other years, or whether the hawthorn was really doing something special this year.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges