Page 830 of 848 FirstFirst ... 330730780820828829830831832840 ... LastLast
Results 8,291 to 8,300 of 8473

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Was a good 25 years ago, and I made a full recovery thanksđź‘Ť. I had to apply liberal quantities of germolene to the tooth marks, it was that or try to explain to a big hairy arsed highland doctor how I came to have my willy bitten by a terrier, I chose self administered medication.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by felltrumpet View Post
    Maybe he was more of a Pavarotti Fan?
    Ah yes! He did seem to be wearing a garish football shirt rather than an understated heritage cycling jersey.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

A steady 50m today with few proper hills, just up to the craven arms and back. Having successfully negotiated safe passage through the arse end of the ilkley half, i arrived at the craven arms soaked to the skin, it was even in my shoes. The weather said decreasing chances of rain as the day went on, but as my ride went on the rain became more frequent, culminating in a deluge shortly after the hamlet of howgill. I considered sheltering under the big conker tree at the t-jct, but decided to man it. The three minutes it took me to pull up at the pub left me wringing wet. I had to wring my jersy out in the bogs and mop my baselayer down with hand towels, i got so cold i had to stop drinking beer and move onto mugs of hot water to stop myself shivering. My feet didn't dry out all afternoon, should have taken a cag, it rained constantly for over an hour and left the lanes hampered with surface water.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

A similar wet ride (never trust the met office), left home without waterproofs and 10 minutes later a 15 minute deluge, 100%drenched. And so it continued, dry a bit, get very wet, dry a bit etc. Made it home on the edge of being properly cold, but I was so wet and bedraggled I was almost enjoying it - kept telling myself “I was a fell runner, this is nothing to what I have been out in”.
    Was 38 miles and 2500+ft.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    A steady 50m today with few proper hills, just up to the craven arms and back. Having successfully negotiated safe passage through the arse end of the ilkley half, i arrived at the craven arms soaked to the skin, it was even in my shoes. The weather said decreasing chances of rain as the day went on, but as my ride went on the rain became more frequent, culminating in a deluge shortly after the hamlet of howgill. I considered sheltering under the big conker tree at the t-jct, but decided to man it. The three minutes it took me to pull up at the pub left me wringing wet. I had to wring my jersy out in the bogs and mop my baselayer down with hand towels, i got so cold i had to stop drinking beer and move onto mugs of hot water to stop myself shivering. My feet didn't dry out all afternoon, should have taken a cag, it rained constantly for over an hour and left the lanes hampered with surface water.
    Funny that. I ventured out from the other part of Ilkley and my cag. stayed furled whilst I did a 25 to top 100 miles for the week. The 25 did include Black Hill (near Arthington) which the sign at the bottom says is 20% and who am I to argue? Anyway my pulse reached 150bpm so it might be right.

Got back to watch the end of today's stage.

An interesting development this week has been several DS criticising their alleged star riders, ie Froome not being worth what he is being paid, Caleb Ewan being disrespectful to his team by going home from the Tour in a sulk and Alaphilippe being told he is paid to win races and not just exercise charm.

Strange times but all for the better.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 17-07-2023 at 08:50 AM.

Oh yes, and my glasses snapped at the nose bridge, so i had to fix them at the craven arms. All they had was black gaffer tape...

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    A similar wet ride (never trust the met office), left home without waterproofs and 10 minutes later a 15 minute deluge, 100%drenched. And so it continued, dry a bit, get very wet, dry a bit etc. Made it home on the edge of being properly cold, but I was so wet and bedraggled I was almost enjoying it - kept telling myself “I was a fell runner, this is nothing to what I have been out in”.
    Was 38 miles and 2500+ft.
    I will hopefully be down Rhandirmwyn way in few weeks and this time bringing the road bike. I was thinking about taking the road up the side of Llyn Brianne and the upper reaches of the Towy valley and then the loop west to take in the Camddwr valley before retracing my steps. Looks like a reasonable ride on quiet roads coming in at 54k/1500m. Any local knowledge to impart?
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Drenched again last night on the way home, all sorts of crap getting washed into the bike lanes, many of which i simply refuse to use on the grounds that they are too ill-conceived and hazardous. Another trip into the bowels of Leeds tonight for physio.

I may well be passing through sunny Leeds on saturday on my way to the champs race at Weardale on sunday.

Only likely to be a short stop for lunch at the Trinity Food Market.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I may well be passing through sunny Leeds on saturday on my way to the champs race at Weardale on sunday.

Only likely to be a short stop for lunch at the Trinity Food Market.
    Don't be diverted by the bears and feel you have to see all 83 spread around the city before you continue your journey.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 21-07-2023 at 12:03 AM.