Page 841 of 847 FirstFirst ... 341741791831839840841842843 ... LastLast
Results 8,401 to 8,410 of 8464

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Or the "Craven Street run" in Coventry....

A notorious pub crawl.... although some of the original pubs on Craven Street itself are no longer there, its still a formidable objective.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    And then there are the people who end up at Craven Arms in Shropshire . . .
    A lovely place to visit.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    And then there are the people who end up at Craven Arms in Shropshire . . .
    Where the pub of the same name is sadly also boarded up and up to let.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Or the "Craven Street run" in Coventry....

A notorious pub crawl.... although some of the original pubs on Craven Street itself are no longer there, its still a formidable objective.
    Talking of pub crawls, Llani boy (probably better than I, we moved there in '86) will well recall the glory days of Llanidloes, I forget how many pubs now but people came from miles around for a night out, it was the ultimate pub crawl. It was renowned for the "multiple choices" and you could then end the evening in The Swamp! Happy days and fancy dress night was something else, close to anarchy before health and safety, rules and regs came in.

Edit: Best pub crawls would make quite a good conversation.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

First time on the bike for 17 days after heavy rain, artic conditions and then heavy rain again.

It wasn't great this morning, with water, leaves, twigs and branches on the road mixed up with sand that had washed off the fields (there's a lot of sand and gravel extraction in these parts). Garmin said it was 7 degrees C, but it felt a lot colder with high humidity and battleship-grey sky. Although I saw less than 100 cars moving, two of these were cabriolets with their tops down (an Audi and a Mercedes for those of you who like to know these things) .

Very greasy roads, with heavy rain forecast from 10am, so I just picked up the group and rode to the River Tame bridge at Elford. The river had flooded the fields, but not the road unlike the Mease which had shut the A513 and the Trent which had flooded the Walton on Trent road. Took the short route home to beat the rain and do an indoor session.

9.6 miles and 343ft of ascent.

I don’t really like riding in torrential rain and my beautiful Bianchi likes it even less so, since the ADV is awaiting a trip to its favourite Halfords mechanic, the recent torrential rain had prevented me taking her out into the fresh air. Last week I even had to join a 16 miles LDWA walk to keep my heart ticking over. The walk was in the rain but just walkin’ in the rain is good. Or so Johnnie Ray sang in 1956.*

But for Monday there was a promise of some blue sky, blue sky - celeste bike, surely some serendipity there? – and so the Campagnolo could emerge to seek some Italian sunshine.

Since 2020 and Covid I have averaged over 3000 miles/ year and since I knew I would achieve 3000 miles for this year on Monday I thought my bike deserved a trip into Yorkshire’s finest. So Bolton Abbey - Buckden - Kilnsey - Conistone - Grassington - Threshfield - Cracoe - Rylstone.

Although it was Monday morning I was surprised how many riders were out in the dales - obviously others look at weather forecasts – and it was just a lovely ride. Of course streams in full flow had appeared across the tarmac roads as they sought to return to Mother Wharfe but that was all just part of the fun of 40 miles and 2700 feet.

• Although Ray’s record reached #1 in the UK and #2 in the USA and sold over a million copies it was composed by two inmates of Tennessee State Prison, Nashville Tennesee and released by the Prisonaires on Sun records in 1953. It sold around 30,000 copies. It is the version of the song that I have. Well naturally.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 13-12-2023 at 11:45 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    My all-too-rare cycle rides go to all points of the compass from my home, but I have noticed that Graham in Ilkley and Mr B in Horsforth always seem to go to the north and/or west, and certainly never venture into the quadrant from South to East. I can't imagine why.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

My all-too-rare cycle rides go to all points of the compass from my home, but I have noticed that Graham in Ilkley and Mr B in Horsforth always seem to go to the north and/or west, and certainly never venture into the quadrant from South to East. I can't imagine why.
    Go south?

But it's all lah-de-dah down there!

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Go south?

But it's all lah-de-dah down there!
    What, they are all lah-de-dah in Bingley and Shipley?
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

What, they are all lah-de-dah in Bingley and Shipley?
    Thin end of the wedge.

Before I knew it I could find myself in (shudder) lah-de-dah Loughborough.