Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bavarian race tragedy

Bavarian race tragedy

saw this on Carnethy site, very sad and makes me realise how bad i can be at remebering to take kit, i did highlander MM this year which was bad weather, should know better.

http://www.carnethy.com/index.html#July

Re: Bavarian race tragedy

and yet i reckon there were people not carrying full kit yesterday on Kentmere Horseshoe. there were some exceedingly small bumbags that would perhaps hold a waterproof hankie.
    Pete Blands cant supply waterproofs that small and light as I tried!!

Quote Originally Posted by Man from Del Monte View Post
    and yet i reckon there were people not carrying full kit yesterday on Kentmere Horseshoe. there were some exceedingly small bumbags that would perhaps hold a waterproof hankie.
    Pete Blands cant supply waterproofs that small and light as I tried!!
    MFDM,

I thought it said yesterday that full windproof cover was to be taken. You can stuff pertex Montane smock and overtrousers and map, compass and whistle into a very small bumbag, much smaller than the standard Pete Bland/Rock and Run bumbags.

Cheers, Ali

It amazes me how many people still get caught out no matter how many warnings are given.An example,on Sun i ran the Snowdon route.It was quite pleasant in Llanberis (14c) with a cool wind.I started with shorts and long sleeved top.I got half way up and it started drizzling,by the top in the cloud it was bloody freezing.I put tights on as well as a spare dry buff and another top.I was on the top no more than 5 mins.I am glad i packed extra clothing ! On the way down i saw many families with children (8-10) with shorts and t-shirts on.I hope they were only going half way.I shouted to several of them "i hope you have some spare big coats,it's cold at the top".... i get a look of "what does he know" from all of them.Mind blowing.

I wouldn't fancy working on that cafe on the top,Bloody crackers

two toenails

Quote Originally Posted by Rodders rambler View Post
    It amazes me how many people still get caught out no matter how many warnings are given.An example,on Sun i ran the Snowdon route.It was quite pleasant in Llanberis (14c) with a cool wind.I started with shorts and long sleeved top.I got half way up and it started drizzling,by the top in the cloud it was bloody freezing.I put tights on as well as a spare dry buff and another top.I was on the top no more than 5 mins.I am glad i packed extra clothing ! On the way down i saw many families with children (8-10) with shorts and t-shirts on.I hope they were only going half way.I shouted to several of them "i hope you have some spare big coats,it's cold at the top".... i get a look of "what does he know" from all of them.Mind blowing.

I wouldn't fancy working on that cafe on the top,Bloody crackers
    I've never understood why people try to get away with "minimal kit"! They are a liability. One runner I know, gave his kit to his dad just after being checked. Idiot! I've never won a race, never will but if I'm asked to take specific gear then I do. A lifetime ban for those who openly flout the laws.(I know, TOO extrenme) A life is at risk and their family will suffer. Doesn't help the organiser or the sport either.
    Get ready for the flack 2 toenails!

Even worse that any irresponsible fell runner are those people who critize the decision to hold the event.

..local officials criticized the decision to hold the race despite the bad conditions.
    The sport does NOT need more regulations.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

two toenails

Ernest Flange-Nibbler has not made any friends yet

I'd be surprised if he has any at all!
    6 posts? Hopefully this will be his last!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by two toenails View Post
    Ernest Flange-Nibbler has not made any friends yet

I thought he was really funny.

Not.

Get a new psuedonym EFN your posts under this one are rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by XRunner View Post
    Even worse that any irresponsible fell runner are those people who critize the decision to hold the event.

The sport does NOT need more regulations.
    Well apparently they do in Austria! If this race had been run in the UK there would have been mandatory kit. Which is why we have it...
    Last edited by Joe; 22-07-2008 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Well apparently they do in Austria! If this race had been run in the UK there would have been mandatory kit. Which is why we have it...
    Our required kit wouldn't be enough in a blizzard though, especially as many runners, including me, push the requirements as far as they can. look at the Skyline the other year, if bad weather comes in then runners face a battle, with or without kit. Part of the challenge though is getting it right and coping, but it wouldn't be a challenge if it was gaurenteed safety that's part of the appeal, there is a real risk of trouble and occassionally people will get caught out, but remove all the risk, remove the appeal IMO.