Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bavarian race tragedy

Re: Bavarian race tragedy

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Our required kit wouldn't be enough in a blizzard though, especially as many runners, including me, push the requirements as far as they can. look at the Skyline the other year, if bad weather comes in then runners face a battle, with or without kit. Part of the challenge though is getting it right and coping, but it wouldn't be a challenge if it was gaurenteed safety that's part of the appeal, there is a real risk of trouble and occassionally people will get caught out, but remove all the risk, remove the appeal IMO.
    I don't understand the Skyline reference? I did the race and took all the kit - used most of it - as a first-timer I got round in one piece albeit slowly and painfully. Without the kit I don't think I would have.

Cheers - Raymond

Hypothermia is the killer, our kit won't stop us from getting it, but it will help us to stave it off and stay alive a bit longer, the two who died were only 10 minutes from the finnish, what price a bit of kit that is only about 1kg.

two toenails

Totally agree Big Compass.
    A couple of places further up the field in exchange for a bit of weight?
    No comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Hickman View Post
    I don't understand the Skyline reference? I did the race and took all the kit - used most of it - as a first-timer I got round in one piece albeit slowly and painfully. Without the kit I don't think I would have.
    Well done. I know others who carried all the kit and still dropped out close to hypothermia. A thin waterproof covering WILL NOT keep you warm for 3-4 hours if the weather seriously comes in. If people think it does then that's bloody scarey! It'll allow you to get off the hill, buy you some time, but that's it. Knowing when to turn back is FAR FAR more important than the kit. I run all winter in Snowdonia/highlands, day and night, and many many times have turned back early, with and without gear.

Quote Originally Posted by two toenails View Post
    Totally agree Big Compass.
    A couple of places further up the field in exchange for a bit of weight?
    No comparison.
    I don't think it's that simple. We can always say more gear, look at the stipulations for the 3 peaks? The main reason that puts me off it. People still die of hypothermia even with full walking gear that weighs kilos, look at the deaths in the Northern Corries in recent years.

For all you know they could have carried gear and not put it on, after all we all know what one of the main symptoms of hypothermia is?

Knee jerk reactions are easy whenever there is a death in a sport, but the risk is inherent and part of the appeal. The only way to really make the sport safe is to demand some level of experience/competence, but then that's more rules, more impinging on the freedom to just run.

Look at the simple kit list, wearing that gear with littleother clothing would still result in you being deep in the shite should you get caught in a blizzard.

two toenails

I'm just a wimp who wants to run for as long as possible!

Master

I figure if your number is up then nothing there is nowt you or anybody else is going to do about it, but then it is far better to die doing something you enjoy and a lot better for all concerned if you are using the right kit at the time, that way the blame shouldn`t be piled on somebody else`s shoulders, after all surely we as individuals are responsible for our actions, be it on the hill,trail, road or where-ever.

Keep smiling, but don`t Tempt fate
    The older I get the Faster I was

I don't think we need more gear, we just need the gear and to put it on before we get into a state, which may get you some more time to get out of your situation. The safety record in this country for fell running is very good, lets keep it that way.

I'm a great believer in personal responsibility - after all, each time we go out for a run we make our own decisions about what kit to carry/wear that have equal importance in terms of getting back safely - why should a race be any different ie why should it suddenly be someone else's responsibility/decision. Also I wonder if by specifying mandatory kit, people will tend to see it as a tick list of what to take and not consider the actual conditions on the day. Another problem is when you get inexperienced runners who don't actually know what it can be like on the tops in bad weather - no amount of kit is going to help them if they run out of steam, get lost, fail to recognise that they're getting into problems etc

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post

Look at the simple kit list, wearing that gear with littleother clothing would still result in you being deep in the shite should you get caught in a blizzard.
    That quote strikes a real chord with me! In the last 25 years I've been out in all sorts of dire conditions, in Bowland, the Dales, the Lakes, Scotland & Wales. The only time that I've been truly hypothermic was approximately 13 years ago when I was wearing a H/H Lifa top (old style) with T shirt over , an Army & Navy Stores "crisp wrapper" cag, shorts with R/H Tracksters over. A freak, unexpected squall blew in with "wet blizzard" conditions, at the time I was running down the A6 between Carnforth & Lancaster!! I got some really queer stares as I staggered through Lancaster like a drunken jogger; and collapsed in the hallway once through our front door.