Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inflammatory Bowel Disease

Inflammatory Bowel Disease

It looks as though I may have IBD (have had an initial flexible sygmoidoscopy more tests to follow); I'm trying hard not think about the other options for the symptoms I have!

Is there anybody out there who can give me some advice on running with this condition, or can point me in the right direction to such advice. I have already talked it over with my GP (has told me to cut down to 20 miles a week), but any info from other runners would be much appreciated.

Cheers - Raymond

Re: Inflammatory Bowel Disease

Hi Raymond, am in a similar situation, have had a dull ache in lower abdomin for last 3 months. Had a C V scan now waiting for fexible sygmoidoscopy. Still running 25-30 miles a week but have cut down on races (lost entheusiasm). PM me if you fancy a chat. Good Luck. Steve C.

Raymond - I know exactly how you feel, having been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis (1 of the 2 forms of IBD - the other being Crohn's disease) in 2005. I had to cut my running down to short runs only - 45 mins max - while I tried different tablets prescribed by the hospital. After about 4 different ones I got one which worked fairly well at cutting down the symptoms & since then (2 & a half years) I'm back to running & racing all distances up to AL as before. The UC is still a nuisance and things are not as good as if it wasn't there, but compared to what it was like before I knew what it was & got the tablets to control the worst of it, life is great once again!

It also helps you appreciate just how much you enjoy your running and makes the emphasis on times & results seem a lot less important.

Here's a link to a site that may give you some useful info

http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/h...e_colitis.html

All the Best

Just curious as to whether there is a difference bewteen IBS and IBD?

Hi Nila,

There is a big difference although the similarity in names is confusing - the following info from one of the IBD web sites tries to clarify the differences:

Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is classified as a functional gastrointestinal disorder, which means there is some type of disturbance in bowel function. It is not a disease, but rather a syndrome, defined as a group of symptoms.

IBS does not produce the destructive inflammation found in IBD, so in many respects it is a less serious condition. It doesn't result in permanent harm to the intestines, intestinal bleeding, or the harmful complications often occurring with IBD. People with IBS are not at higher risk for colon cancer, nor are they more likely to develop IBD or other gastrointestinal diseases. IBS seldom requires hospitalization, and treatment does not usually involve surgery or powerful medications, such as steroids or immunosuppressives.

Hope this helps

That clears that up! Ta!

Thanks for the comments and the link; I'm looking forward to getting whatever it is finally definitively diagnosed and then brought under control. In the meantime it's good to hear that running and IBD can go together.

Cheers and take care - Raymond

I used to work with a company who made an ulcerateive colitis drug. There's not much research on IBD in athletes. The only paper I can find (if you go to here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez and search for "IBD athletes") says "Exercise won't likely worsen IBD symptoms".

I might be worth asking your gastroenterologist (rather than your GP) if they have any other patients who are runners/athletes, as some GPs (but not all) have a habit of advising people to go easy on running without much basis.

There are some professional sportsmen/women with IBD.

Noel thanks for the link - I know what you mean about GPs, but the one I saw is a runner himself; what he was advising me against for the present was doing the miles I need to take on a 56 mile ultra and a marathon in October. The ultra organisers have agreed to hold my entry over, while I think I will still be able to do a slow Beachy Head marathon off of some low mileage training (it's a geat race and I really don't want to miss it).

Cheers - Raymond

I've gone through similar questions in the last few months myself, too.
    I started off needing toilet stops during runs, progressing to fresh blood with bowel movements every time & not being able to even jog for 20 minutes without problems.
    I had loads of blood tests which came back normal (including inflammatory markers) and a flexi sigmoidoscopy (Klean Prep is foul & disgusting & I still feel the need to vomit at the memory of the taste!). I have been diagnosed with proctitis and the histology is consistent with IBD, but unable to say what type.
    I was shocked at the diagnosis - I feel well in myself, had not lost weight, no diarrhoea, & together with the normal inflammatory markers I had not considered the diagnosis (I am a doctor myself, although with no current routine contact with IBD).
    I never did huge amounts of training, but had upped my level for about 4 months & achieved my goal for the year of winning my course at the British Orienteering Champs in April (having had other, unrelated health problems for the last few years...) during the early stages of my symptoms.
    Following the flexi sigi, I was prescribed twice daily mesalazine suppositories, and the symptoms quickly cleared up (within a week) and I'm back running again (last week I completed 5 days orienteering in Scandinavia - a huge physical challenge) and am looking to start "training" again.
    I guess like all things medical, every patient is different, & it's about listening to your body to do what you can, when you can, & making the most of yourself.
    Good luck!
    I still wonder about the diagnosis and am after a second opinion, but if I do have IBD I'm just grateful it's not one of the alternatives.