Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giving something back

Giving something back

Organising a race isn't a task which I would put upon myself and I have never really given much thought to what is involved in getting everything done.

As I wasn't racing in the Winter Hill race I thought I would offer to help out. In the week before the race I heard the organiser saying that he wasn't sure who would be in what positions as some people hadn't got back to him yet. It was at this point I wondered if it is a struggle to gather enough people together to cover the needs of the race.

I ended up on the Trig point on top of Winter Hill. Me, another marshall and a search and rescue guy with his dog (Which had a fetish for my feet). We stood around in the cold waiting for the runners to come by. I now have a slightly better appreciation for the people that help these races go ahead in all weathers so that we can do what we enjoy doing.

I just thought I would post this message now as reminder to others that without these people the races wouldn't happen and if you are in a position to help out at a race then you should offer your services. it's always better for the organiser to have too many offers of help than not enough. Plenty of people support friends/partners at various stages along the routes so if you are planning to head up on the hills to support them then why not offer to support the race also.

I'd like to thank all the organisers, marshalls and support services that help all of the races go ahead. There should be a collection box at all of the races so that we can buy you all a beer, you deserve it!

Pea!

Re: Giving something back

Top post Pea, organising a race must be a labour of love, god bless all organisers and helpers, and cracking idea, the collection box
    Hills and Guinness!

Banned

I couldn't agree more.
    Great post.
    We all take the micky and have a moan from time to time and the organisers just quietly get on with their project in the hope they make our race enjoyable.

Thank-you to all orgainisers and their helpers
    The beer fund tin is a top idea.
    Well done Pea

Well said Pea.
    Having organised races myself, I can't tell you how important it is to have willing volunteers to help out. Just one unexpected extra person can make a hell of a difference.

Races are put on by a small band of incredibly dedicated people and it reminds me at this point to thank all the organisers, marshals, helpers, tea makers and givers of support who make our races in South Wales such enjoyable and sociable events. To me, you've become one big extended family of treasured friends.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Good post and well said Pea.

A lot of hard work goes into putting a race on and you would not believe what little things complain about. We put on a 6 mile road race and someone complained to me that they had measured the race as 6.1 miles on there garmin

There are a lot of people out there who put in a lot of work so we can have the joy of racing. I think it's good for everyone at some point to put something back into the sport and see things from the other side.

It's also good fun doing a bit of marshaling

there's the counter balance from the frenetic activity of actually running the race

you actually get to see the whole race progress by, rather than just being in your little envelope

there's the different high of contributing rather than just partaking

Great post Pea, couldn't agree more. The collection's a fab idea.

Quote Originally Posted by trilathon View Post
    It's also good fun doing a bit of marshaling

there's the counter balance from the frenetic activity of actually running the race

you actually get to see the whole race progress by, rather than just being in your little envelope

there's the different high of contributing rather than just partaking

Agree with you too Trilathon, I didn't realise how much fun being part of the 'race team' would be. I did the results for my club for the first time 6 months ago, I didn't stop from start to finish eg entering the 'on the day' entries and by the time that was done I had about 15 minutes before the first man home came in (and it was a half marathon!). It was really quite exciting and also quite pressured when the finishers were coming in fast and furious. I felt a great team spirit and an experience with all in a few hours !!

I've also done some sideline supporting / marshaling generally when for one reason or another I haven't been able to run, and had an absolute hoot. Pick you spot like you say either at the top of a hill, near a stream crossing, and you'll have a gas!!.
    I can do down hill

Quote Originally Posted by hopey View Post
    Someone complained to me that they had measured the race as 6.1 miles on there garmin
    Should have charged em a bit more hopey, they got that .1 mile for free
    Hills and Guinness!

Quote Originally Posted by hopey View Post
    Good post and well said Pea.

A lot of hard work goes into putting a race on and you would not believe what little things complain about. We put on a 6 mile road race and someone complained to me that they had measured the race as 6.1 miles on there garmin
    If he turns up again, make him stand .1 of a mile in front of everyone else on the start line......

Being an event organiser myself it is great to see people offering help at events and we are usually never short of volunteers at our our club. I have been the checkpoint marshall on Bessyboot for the Borrowdale race for several years now and just about every runner who comes through (and there are lots of them ) says thank you which is great .