Thread: Which Club (2)

Which Club (2)

I'm a member of Border Harriers running club here in Carlisle - certainly not (currently, if ever) a club known for their fell runners. I think I am the only member to race on the fells since I started doing so in 2007. I'm not certain they are even affiliated to the FRA!

So i'm thinking that next year I may be better off joining a different, more fell orientated club. Which one though? Keswick is perhaps the nearest but then theres also CFR and Ambleside (who made me most welcome on one of their training runs recently) and Ellenborough and Borrowdale etc etc.

Any recommendations?

And could I join a fell club for racing FRA events but remain in BH for the road and track (I like to race the 3000m steeplechase from time to time in the track league and also often pick up team prizes in road races)?
    Or is that just me trying to have my cake and eat it?
    Event Photography
    www.athletesinaction.co.uk

Re: Which Club (2)

Quote Originally Posted by bestathlete View Post
    I'm a member of Border Harriers running club here in Carlisle - certainly not (currently, if ever) a club known for their fell runners. I think I am the only member to race on the fells since I started doing so in 2007. I'm not certain they are even affiliated to the FRA!

So i'm thinking that next year I may be better off joining a different, more fell orientated club. Which one though? Keswick is perhaps the nearest but then theres also CFR and Ambleside (who made me most welcome on one of their training runs recently) and Ellenborough and Borrowdale etc etc.

Any recommendations?

And could I join a fell club for racing FRA events but remain in BH for the road and track (I like to race the 3000m steeplechase from time to time in the track league and also often pick up team prizes in road races)?
    Or is that just me trying to have my cake and eat it?
    I'm no expert on cumbrian clubs, but you can definitely do the latter. Just stay a member of BH and let them pay the England Athletics subs (tell them what you are doing though). Then join another club and run on the fell for them.

The only problem would be if BH did develop a fell section and enter a relay team etc, but that sounds unlikely.

Faced with a similar situation being a member of City of Norwich AC a club even less likely to take to the fells I've finally decided to join a club for fell running and Mynydd Du are the unlucky winners
    Hoping for a far more successful 2009

mxhornet, do what Olivia Walwyn from your club did. Join another team second claim just for the fells. She joined Alty. Norwich have no fell interest so makes sense. You can do what ever you want. Nick Leigh set the standard by leaving a well established fell club (Alty) and joining P&B second claim to run fells with his mates. (And to take advantage of team races even though Alty often enter the fell race and relays and have done well)
    @roadrunneraj #gohardorgohome

RR that's just what I've done. I did think about Alty on account of Olivia and Swoop who I bumped in to at my very first fell race and was very helpful on the day. Anyway as I mentioned above I've now joined Mynydd Du purely for fell running and just in case anyone was wondering why them it's on account of my ancestors on my father's side coming from that area on Wales.
    Hoping for a far more successful 2009