Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: altimeter....help!

Re: altimeter....help!

On a related subject, my local shop is offering (with various club/BMC discounts on top of the sale price) an E-Trex Summit HC for 115 quid (reduced from 169.) As I have neither a GPS (which is what I'd really want) nor an altimeter (which I see as an added extra), I'm quite tempted. Advice, anyone?

Be careful on Mountain Marathons! - many MM/Orienteering maps only have contour lines without any heights marked on them - however an altimeter is still a useful bit of kit, for example if you count the lines to work out the height of a control above a known feature you will be passing on the way (for example a col or summit) you can then have a reasonably accurate idea of how far to climb/descend to reach it (ie I dont know how high I am or how far out my altimeter has drifted, but I now know I want to climb 250m above whatever my altimeter happens to say right now) and you then can push on until you get close to where you want to be. If you wanted to contour to a feature I would suggest contouring with a reasonable gap above or below where you want to be (as long as you know which) then relying on timing/pacing and the MK1 eyeball as you get nearer unless there is a nice handrail or other feature to intercept.

the more i look into this the more i think i would be better off spending the money on a nav. course that would give me more confidence in timing/pacing. thanks for all your replies

the more i look into this the more i think i would be better off spending the money on a nav. course
    Elleterwater is full and we have already got people on the spring course @ Kettlewell 2009, @ £60 you will find it good value and enjoyable, if you want to go, be quick as there are only 30 places on each course.

what are the dates for 2009?

Cheese
    I will check the dates when I get home tonight and let know.

i'd recomend suunto aswell. i find it very usefull on claggy days with a map. i also have an altimax.

Cheese
    The Navigation Course @ Kettlewell is on 20/21/22 March 2009, if you are a FRA member it's £60 if not it's £85, worth joining the FRA for £12, you get 3 super mags, a race calendar and £25 off the price of the course, bargain.

thanks BC, will look into that....hopefully it doesn't clash with the Edale Skyline!