Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: altimeter....help!

altimeter....help!

I've been thinking about investing in an altimeter to help with navigation. However, there seems to be a massive range on the market. Are there any features that I should be looking out for? Can anyone recommend a brand? Do you really have to spend £200 + to get a decent one?! Any help much appreciated.....

Re: altimeter....help!

Quote Originally Posted by cheese View Post
    I've been thinking about investing in an altimeter to help with navigation. However, there seems to be a massive range on the market. Are there any features that I should be looking out for? Can anyone recommend a brand? Do you really have to spend £200 + to get a decent one?! Any help much appreciated.....

Can recommend Suunto. You can pick up a brand new Vector or Altimax for £100 - £120.

Very accurate. Features include logbooks to store how much ascent, descent you've done and will also tell you your rate of ascent/descent.

Cheers, Ali

Garmin e Trex vista HCX. £170 from Amazon. Probably does more than you need!

I've been thinking about investing in an altimeter to help with navigation.
    Not sure that an altimeter will help with navigation.

Do not rely on the altimeter reading corresponding with the height on the ground or the contour on the map.

The Use of Altimeters
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

They are a big help provided you keep an eye on it and reset it at known points, particularly over longer races - otherwise changes in air pressure will give you a false 'altitude' reading (they measure pressure which changes with the weather, and translate it in to the height that corresponds to the actual existing pressure where you happen to be) - if you do lose accuracy they are still useful for measuring short term height changes (eg when you know you need to descend a particular height from a known point). I recommend a Suunto,

Quote Originally Posted by XRunner View Post
    Not sure that an altimeter will help with navigation.

Do not rely on the altimeter reading corresponding with the height on the ground or the contour on the map.

The Use of Altimeters
    so does that mean i would not be able to use one to run along a specific contour? obvisouly i'll be using a map and compass too.

Senior Member No map, no compass's Avatar

so does that mean i would not be able to use one to run along a specific contour? obvisouly i'll be using a map and compass too.
    Yes you can, though it is likely to be only accurate to 10 or 20m in reality, but this is fine for most situations.

I also recommend Suuntos - I have an Altimax.

They are of most use on mountain marathons, though could be helpful in longer races in thick clag. As Cougar says, you have to reset them at known points fairly regularly, or at least check that they give the correct height.

I had agonised over whether to spend on one for a few years - well, every so often thought about it!! Anyroad, a few months ago I did a bit of market research, talked to a few folk and settled for a Sunnto Core.

like most have said here there are pro and con's - map and compass always best but Sunnto gadget offers some extra dimensions....obviously need to calibrate at spot heights etc, thermom function is subject to body heat from wrist...so remove it to see...good functionality in terms of ease of use...recalib' takes a minute if that.

profiles functions such as height gained etc. useful. Barometer is sound as is storm alarm. other stuff like timer/stop watch easy and ok...sun up/set good.

Used it in Saunders other weekend and was pleased with Altimeter/compass function (as a back up) and my race partner thought it was useful too.

Would I buy was as core essential kit? not really ...but if I had a spare cash etc yes.

Sunnto looks to be market leader ---options being Vector

cheers guys, very helpful. i was hoping it would be useful for mountain marathons. will have a closer look at your recomendations. thanks

I recently bought a Techtrail Alterrra.

I did look at the Suunto ones but I think I went for the Alterra as it had better split time functionality.

I got mine for something like £110. Been using it for a couple of months now with no problems, just remember to re-calibrate it especially on days when the atmospheric pressure is changing a lot.