Thread: Great Glen Way

Great Glen Way

Has anyone run the Great Glen Way?

Stu

Re: Great Glen Way

Quote Originally Posted by Shelf View Post
    Has anyone run the Great Glen Way?

Stu
    I'd imagine so. I ran the hilly half, Inverness to Fort Augustus in around 7 hrs as I was working out in the Northern North Sea and hadn't had a run, so when we came back through the canal I ran the first day of the 2 days it takes a boat to get through.

Didn't find it that great. Basically quite monotonous forestry trails, not much to see apart from Pine Forests.

I think it's 70-75 miles in total. I did 40+ and basically couldn't bring myself to run the second half which is mainly tow paths.

It is very runnable though. Don't thinK i walked a step of it as all the climbs are gentle. It's suprisingly undulating beside the lochs though.

Didn't find it that great. Basically quite monotonous forestry trails, not much to see apart from Pine Forests.
    That's a shame. I was hoping to have a go the weekend after Devil O Highlands and make a holiday of it. Sure I can find somewhere else to run around there...

Thanks for the info

The first half by the canal is quite picturesque, it's just its so flat and straight its a boring run. I did one section the next day, just 5 miles and even that was enough.

For a good day out, if the weathers good I'd look at the Lochaber traverse. The ben > Aonoachs > Grey Corries one of the best ridge runs in Britain. We did it as a loop from Glen Nevis, missing out the Ben, in around 6 hrs.

For a bigger day just add the mamores to that and do the Tranter Tound. 12 - 16 hrs.

For a bigger day just add the mamores to that and do the Tranter Tound. 12 - 16 hrs.[/quote]

12-16 hours? you'll be doing well to do it in 12 - the record's 12:50. Took me 14:40 earlier this year.