Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snow cancelled my Race

Angry Snow cancelled my Race

I was due to run a local M/T race today (Wyre Forest 8). They decided to cancel it yesterday because of snow and dangerous car parking. Is this health and safety gone mad?!!

You'll all tell me I should only enter fell races in the future - no chance of them being cancelled whatever, is there really?

Re: Snow cancelled my Race

Quote Originally Posted by The Juicer View Post

You'll all tell me I should only enter fell races in the future - no chance of them being cancelled whatever, is there really?
    Take a look at the Wadsworth Trog thread(s) Juicer for the answer!!

Golly yes. So fell races do occasionally get cancelled.

Bit different though - ours was just a pleasant amble through a forest. And the weather forecast for today was always 10 deg and rain. There's no snow left there anyway.

Main reason it was cancelled is because the car park might be slippery

Yep stick to the fells Juicer, fell races are so rarely cancelled I cannot remember the last time one was (in the past 10 years). I know the Calder Valley gang will be gutted by having to call it off. But as you say, there's a world of difference between an 8 mile forest run and a long distance over exposed moorland like Wadsworth.
    ...there's a hill nearby missing its fool...

Quote Originally Posted by Stick View Post
    fell races are so rarely cancelled I cannot remember the last time one was (in the past 10 years).
    What about Fiendsdale 2006 ~ that was cancelled due to snow / road access problems. Everyone had to run Noonstone which did go ahead the same day.

Also, Dave Woodhead cancelled The Stoop in the late 80's due to snow. Trouble was that website's wern't around then so had to use local radio stations to get the message accross. Even so, quite a number turned up, including myself, and as we had all got there, what better thing to do than to have an unnoficial race. this was aptly named the 'Ghost Stoop'.
    See the light in the night

A few of the Kendal Winter League races were cancelled last year too because of snow
    A circular route mostly downhill

david

(Showing my age now) Three Peaks 1981.

Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post
    What about Fiendsdale 2006 ~ that was cancelled due to snow / road access problems. Everyone had to run Noonstone which did go ahead the same day.

Also, Dave Woodhead cancelled The Stoop in the late 80's due to snow. Trouble was that website's wern't around then so had to use local radio stations to get the message accross. Even so, quite a number turned up, including myself, and as we had all got there, what better thing to do than to have an unnoficial race. this was aptly named the 'Ghost Stoop'.
    Nah, sorry Mapper old pal, you can't count this one. Despite the multi-feet snow drifts you, by self-confession, ran the Ghost (Good man!)

Fiendsdale; True - though as you say, Noon stones made a rather good alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
    A few of the Kendal Winter League races were cancelled last year too because of snow
    Yeah, okay, give you these.

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    (Showing my age now) Three Peaks 1981.
    mmm...26 years ago I think....

So, not forgetting to add in the Ben 1980 I think that still only accounts for 5 or 6 races in the last 25 years or so (...though just waiting for the Celts to add their toll )

Think my point on comparative tenacity twixt fell and any other form of running is till valid
    ...there's a hill nearby missing its fool...

david

The Chipping Show race was cancelled once because of severe thunderstorms. I can't remember the year - late 1980s I think.

Pen-y-Ghent mid 90's. Whilst this race was not cancelled there was a severe hailstorm towards the end when we all got pelted with 1 inch balls if hail. I had bruises on my arms to tell the tale.
    See the light in the night