Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fell to race or not

Re: fell to race or not

i enjoy the buzz of racing but love equally love the long trots on the hills with nee bugger to get in the way. you do meet more people through the racing side of it and the cracks always good even if your sh**e on the day!

If your a lazy bu**er like me races are a great motivator.
    Recent experience......
    Wednesday 6th Aug
    Grey skies, contstant rain, headache, rubbish day at work I could either :-
    A - Go home, feel like poe and sulk all evening or...
    2 - Do the Golf ball race organised by Rossy Harriers near Rawtenstall

Needless to say I took option 2....got round the course near the back end of the field, had the craic with other runners while queing for a stile and got covered up to the thights (and higher) in cack.
    Following day - felt great.

If it wasn't for the race, option A would have been the only (probably misreable) choice.

Go on, get involved

It's better to be near the back anyway

1. more people to follow
    2. people spectating really don't want to be carrying jelly babies back down with them so you get handfuls
    3. There's more people to point and laugh when you do indeed finish
    4. The faster peeps are obliged to get the beer in!

Well, I have a looong way to go before I'm ready but I have every intention of doing a few races.

I have no desire to win but just fancy having a go.

I'm aiming for the Dovedale Dash in November as a first attempt, looks like a laugh anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Darth domain View Post
    I've been having a good read, and it would appear that the vast majority of you guys take part in races. However, i'm not into racing, just to run for me, to enjoy scenery, knacker myself and feel less guilty having a few pints at the end of the day. Am i normal

Well, i bloody hope not
    I sometimes think about the same Darth domain - my dad is a very very experienced fell walker and runner and has never ever run in a fell race. I personally don't think that makes him any less of a "fell runner" than someone who races week in week out? And he is far from normal

I think its nice to do both

Darth,

Are we related? If so I look forward to meeting you.

Come racin' - cant beat it.

Regards D'arth
    Its better to have fought and lost, than not have fought at all.

Henry Porter

Wink Re: fell to race or not

Oh you must! It's fantastic. I joined the FRA late last year and got my calendar. On 01/01/08 I did my first race- Nine Standards Rigg ("not really a fell race" I was told on arrival) now I understand the comment but at the time as I finished,not quite last, I was thinking '' what the hell is?" It was a great experience and the start of something that at my age I didn't think I'd see again. My target is one FRA, M or L a month, the rest of the time I'm on my own with my dog. I have the modest target of keeping out of the last 20%.
    From a pragmatic viewpoint it gives me one really high intensity run per month and the motivation to get out training for the rest of it and from a romantic perspective it's a very life affirming experience. Oh and quite a lot of fun too.

Don't forget; winners rely on us, without losers like me they would be nothing.

hi folks, been away a few days so only just checking in, thanks for your words, and darth of the dark side, course we are related, we are sith lords
    Well, i'm running penyghent and surronding area this week end, then the following weekend trying the three peaks (bloomin slowly lol). See how i go, it'ss give me an idea of fitness and how much i need to work i dont care about being at the back, racing to win is not my thing, just taking part.

Darth - message from the Dark Side.

Having stumbled, intentionally or otherwise into the finest sport on the planet, we want to encourage you to enjoy all aspects to the full.

As many forumites have said, the back of the field is a great place to be. I have been there, though tend to be around the middle just now, which is just as good!

I wrote in an article last year in the Fellrunner:

Our sport, after all, is one where those of us with little or average ability can compete in the same races, week in, week out, as the very finest exponents of our sport, and where those at the very top of the sport will pass the time of day (in or out of the pub) with those less gifted.

That's the truth of how it is, so don't let any concerns keep you from having a go at some racing.

Try it when you feel ready (do most of us ever feel ready for racing?) and see how you go, though unless you put the training in, best to stick to a sensible distance to start with.

Having done so many longs and super-longs this year, the shorts are way too quick for me, and I'll probably get beaten by the wife, but I will be at Dufton on 30 August and I will have a great time.

Get cracking.

Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by BGSec View Post
    Darth - message from the Dark Side.

Having stumbled, intentionally or otherwise into the finest sport on the planet, we want to encourage you to enjoy all aspects to the full.

As many forumites have said, the back of the field is a great place to be. I have been there, though tend to be around the middle just now, which is just as good!

I wrote in an article last year in the Fellrunner:

Our sport, after all, is one where those of us with little or average ability can compete in the same races, week in, week out, as the very finest exponents of our sport, and where those at the very top of the sport will pass the time of day (in or out of the pub) with those less gifted.

That's the truth of how it is, so don't let any concerns keep you from having a go at some racing.

Try it when you feel ready (do most of us ever feel ready for racing?) and see how you go, though unless you put the training in, best to stick to a sensible distance to start with.

Having done so many longs and super-longs this year, the shorts are way too quick for me, and I'll probably get beaten by the wife, but I will be at Dufton on 30 August and I will have a great time.

Get cracking.

Morgan
    Cheers bud, see how my training goes, on bloody antibiotics now