Thread: Wensleydale Tri Race Report

Post Wensleydale Tri Race Report

It may not be a fell race, but there were a number of fell club vests there, and the run was suitably steep and sloppy.

I left home at about 5.15 to be there in good time, and was a bit perturbed by the weather.... the forecast had been good, but the flooded fields were a clue as to what was to come. From inside the car, the wind wasn't apparent, but once at Hawes, it was a bit breezy.

By the time I got to Semer Water, it'd progressed from "breezy" to "alarming"

Walking along the lakeside lane, towards where I assumed the transition to be, there were several bikes lying on the grass and in the bushes. A few more yards and the penny dropped... this IS transition.

The organisers did their best, but the transition had been flooded overnight and the water was seriously encroaching on the lane / transition. A look beyond the bushes, and the glory of a CHOPPY Semer Water awaited us...

"We're not getting in there are we??!!"

The non-swimmimg members of the accompanying relay team looked away and chuckled while trying to look suitably sympathetic. The organisers were obviously in a quandry as to whether to cancel the swim or just shorten it... one thing was for sure, we were not doing the scheduled 1800m. In the end the turn buoy was brought back and the swim was 400m.

We were counted in and without ceremony, off we went. Now I am a strong swimmer (so long as it's breaststroke) but my crawl needs a bit of work. 2 or 3 gobfulls of water (and a couple of 'I shall not actually drown' talking to's) and any dilemma was resolved... breaststroke it was for 80% of the way, so that I could see what was coming and dive into the waves dolphin style.

After just 50-100 metres I saw a woman swimming back towards me. "Bloody 'ell, that was fast" was my first thought, but obviously she was packing it in. I persevered and realised I couldn't see the turn buoy... it was obscured by the waves. Didn't matter, I just followed the rest.

The swim back was faster (surprise, surprise) and of the 11 minutes it was timed at by a mate, the trip back was probably only 4 minutes. Staggered out as usual (it usually feels as though you've had a skinfull) and trotted down the road to find my bike in the bushes. Couldn't get the chuffin' wetsuit off... the long zip extension thing at the back has somehow velcro'd and hooked itself around my ankle... once that was off, I could almost stop swearing and get sorted... only I'd left my cycle shorts in the wrong box... leaving me to ride "42 of Yorkshire's toughest miles" in my sporting but woefully unpadded lycra undertrolleys.

Now I had made the same mistake at Bala in June and suffered for it, so with a heavy heart I undertook what is, allegedly, the toughest bike route in a British Tri. The lane that constituted transition was also the only place for spectators to, er, spectate, so it was a bit congested. Plenty of good humoured shouting and I made my way to the foot of the first 1:4 of the day... I even got a third of the way up before walking the first of several walks.

The organisers had warned us that some of the descents were steep and to look for the red flags.. they weren't kidding. There were a couple of descents where I went past someone on the way down, only to have an @rse twitching moment where the bend tightened or the surface was cut up or the road was covered in debris from the rain. On more than one occasion, I was braking as hard as I dared with forearms pumped up and the back wheel hopping around, my eyes out on stalks... but you live (just) and learn. As you gained altitude, the wind worsened and the at times I thought I was going to be blown off the road or else was having the surreal experience of having to pedal on the small ring DOWNHILL struggling to keep my speed in double figures because of the wind.

I wasted a few minutes on top of some fell putting on a windproof top, that really, with hindsight, I didn't need. Of course, there were times when I got that glorious feeling of speed and effortless progress, where you carve a smooth arc round a downhill bend; pass someone effortlessly on a climb; the carrying of speed up minor inclines... where it all comes together

Back to T2 and on with the running gear. My mates in the relay included a girl who's a very acclomplished fell rummer, and did her BG a few weeks back (Crumblydown's Mrs, Gerry), so I knew it wouldn't be long before I'd feel her eyes burning into my back... Sure enough, her cycling oppo (Bonny, a 2x IM finisher) came in as I was quarter of a mile into the run... no pressure then!!

On the bridleway upwards, Gerry passed me after a mile or two. Now I had heard that trail shoes would be fine for this run...

Maybe my trail shoes aren't like everyone else's trail shoes but they felt like bloomin' roller skates in the wet and muddy conditions... they slipped on the mud and they slipped on the wet rock. Note to self... FELL SHOES FOR FELL RUNS. I had a couple of comedy tumbles, but not as bad as a girl coming down who was absolutely PLASTERED (no, not on beer). That would've made a good pic.

Having turned at the top, there was one bloke immediately behind me, but then none for a while. Knowing I was knackered, I was not surprised as he gained on me (stopping me from taking a wrong turn in the process... cheers mate) but I was shocked when another fella flew past 10 minutes later.

Towards the end another bloke appeared. In my usual self defeating style, I told myself "Oh no, he's gonna pass me and there's nothing I can do to stop it", in the style of EEY-ORE (of Winnie the Pooh fame). Just try and say it out loud and you'll see what I mean!

At the final gate off the field the fella was in front by 30 yards and there was Derek (Crumblydown) shouting encouragement. On to the tarmac and I had to walk a little... I know, how very weak of me.

I knew the end was in sight, and judged that I could close the gap if I started to sprint (throwing caution to the wind) once I could see the finish. With shouts from the rest of the party, I pumped my arms and gave it my all, bounding effortlessly towards the line... and I nearly had 'im. D'OH!

Later, he said he knew something was going on and he had to up his game in the last few yards because this gaggle of people were shouting "Simon, come on!!!".

Not sure of the exact time, but roughly 11 minutes on the (very short) swim; my bike computer says 3.12 (but doesn't count the 2 stops for eats and top change); and about 2.20 for the run. I'll wait for the full results, but there won't be a swim time because of the abbreviated route. Including transitions (always a leisurely affair for me) overall about 6.20. More or less what I expected given the weather, etc.

After some back-slapping and congratulations, it was back to the car for a 100+ mile drive home. Phoned for a takeaway on the way down, and the fellas in the curry house couldn't get rid of me fast enough, probably because of the smell. Bit achy today, but not as bad as I thought it'd be.

A damned tough race and plenty of comaraderie, but not the big race atmosphere like you'd expect at Bala, because it's not a big race... but memorable and I think I'll be back. Not that I was thinking that when that bloke overtook me...
    www.macclesfield-harriers.co.uk
    Teggs Nose Fell Race Saturday 4th August 2018 14.30

Simon Cartledge

Re: Wensleydale Tri Race Repor

Well done LR, sounds like a tough day out
    Hills and Guinness!

awesome report LR, bet the curry tasted heavenly after that
    http://helsbyrunningclub.wordpress.com/

i'll risk it for a biscuit

:w00t:

Well Done LR

Well done Eeyore Have you had the results yet???
    I'm just helping others to feel the glory of winning....

Yes and No... The number I had (15) is allotted to a Welsh sounding fella (or lass) from Wrecsam Tri, but the times look about right for me (6 and a bit hours).

Have e-mailed the organiser for clarification.

Still achy and my knees are twingeing somewhat! But what a day out

See you on Friday.

Simon Cartledge

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    Well Done LR
    Cheers for that. I don't know how this compared to IM France, but the swim felt like a rough sea, and the bike and run were HILLY... but I prefer the more, er.. memorable courses.

Maybe Wensleydale is a much more modest affair: a lot shorter, but a bit more... is "nasty" the word?

Really the swim was pretty much academic... more a case of survival and completing than anything to do with pace (for me anyway). I've heard lots of people didn't go around the turn buoy, and I did see at least one lady turn back long before the buoy... she can only have done about fifty metres.

Memorable experience though, and I'd like to do it in more palatable weather.

Simon Cartledge