Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Swimming

Re: Swimming

Inconsistent weather conditions also play a part in a lack of track and field world records. This isn't a factor in swimming, and temperature and lighting have precise settings.

I would say that the factors involved in the swimming records, suit, pool, would be comparable to if a new track surface was brought in, or perhaps the 100m was run down a 5% gradient.
    It makes a difference. We here about the "fast tracks" after all.

I'm not as clued up as some on here seem to be, but isn't EPO best detected in the blood test - cycling have moved to this and Paula Radcliffe has pushed for this in athletcs - which they seem to be now doing according to Asafa Powell.

All walks of life are prone to corruption. I come from a manufacturing industry background - shoes!!
    The factory guy that in the 80's would be playing hell about Fat Cat bosses was walking out of the factory in the evening with a couple of pairs of shoes to sell to his wife's mates.
    It goes on.

Sport is just the same - it reflects life.

A couple of years ago a Vet runner came to our Clubs Ribble Valley 10K and warmed up etc - and ran practically a National best for his age group, but was spotted joining the race about 6K in - so only ran the second half!!

Who would believe it??

The thing that frustrates me most about some of the postings, is that I am sure that most athletes are clean and yet the assumption of quite a few on here is that they are all tainted.

Give them a break. Innocent until proven guilty - and then chuck them out for good!

Heard Asafa Powell saying on the radio yesterday that he had been tested so many times (around 12 in the last 2 weeks) that he felt it may affect his forthcoming performance!!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I would say that the factors involved in the swimming records, suit, pool, would be comparable to if a new track surface was brought in, or perhaps the 100m was run down a 5% gradient.
    It makes a difference. We here about the "fast tracks" after all.

I'm not as clued up as some on here seem to be, but isn't EPO best detected in the blood test - cycling have moved to this and Paula Radcliffe has pushed for this in athletcs - which they seem to be now doing according to Asafa Powell.

All walks of life are prone to corruption. I come from a manufacturing industry background - shoes!!
    The factory guy that in the 80's would be playing hell about Fat Cat bosses was walking out of the factory in the evening with a couple of pairs of shoes to sell to his wife's mates.
    It goes on.

Sport is just the same - it reflects life.

A couple of years ago a Vet runner came to our Clubs Ribble Valley 10K and warmed up etc - and ran practically a National best for his age group, but was spotted joining the race about 6K in - so only ran the second half!!

Who would believe it??

The thing that frustrates me most about some of the postings, is that I am sure that most athletes are clean and yet the assumption of quite a few on here is that they are all tainted.

Give them a break. Innocent until proven guilty - and then chuck them out for good!
    Have you listened to the BBC report that Pudgy included in his response earlier in this thread?

Master

A lot was said on this thread a few months ago. Just thought I'd revive it after pictures of Michael Phelps smoking dope, appeared in the papers.

Should be banned for two years now. Let's hope that will be the end of his participation in the sport.

undercover moderator

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    Should be banned for two years now. Let's hope that will be the end of his participation in the sport.
    How bizarre. Surely you aren't suggesting that him having a bong would be perfomance-enhancing...?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    How bizarre. Surely you aren't suggesting that him having a bong would be perfomance-enhancing...?
    No Muddy I'm not. Even so it's on the list of prohibited substances, that carry a two year ban. One would also assume that if he's willing to take drugs that diminish his performance, he'd also take drugs to improve it.

undercover moderator

One would also assume that if he's willing to take drugs that diminish his performance, he'd also take drugs to improve it.
    On that logic, my tendency to drink wine, eat crisps and not run up hills, would also lead to some heroic training days.

I'll clear the diary for them...

There was something on Sky Sports news recently with some woman from the UK Sport Anti-doping agency trying to seriously argue that Cocaine was a performance enhancing drug in team sports.

If that's the level of knowledge by the people 'in the know' then it's no wonder we don't catch more people!

P.S Anyone notice anything strange about some of the swimmer's faces?
    The one on the right has an extra face growing out of his elbow. That's got to be a sign something funny's going on.
    "I am not a number! I am a free man!"