Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Daysacks anyone?

Daysacks anyone?

Hello everyone, names David from Northumberland. I’m a keen mountaineer & runner & quite fancy putting both activities together. Not really interested (@ the moment) in racing & notice all the profile pictures are showing you all in running kit without any sort of a pack. My ideal would be to head out for a day in the Lakes or Snowdonia with a lightweight day sack. Moving as quickly as I could knocking of a few summits on route. Is there anyone else on here that does anything similar? If so I would be interested in asking a few questions such as how much fluid & food do you carry & any other equipment that you take as the balance between weight carried & speed of travel go hand in hand.

David.

Re: Daysacks anyone?

Wifes blog has pics of most of our days out around the uk, racing and not racing:

http://sarzmountainrun.blogspot.com/

I run with either a small bumbag or in winter and on long days a salamon raid revo 20 rucksack. normally carry no water, maybe a half lire plastic bottles and drink from streams. food wise eat gels, pasties, rice puds, flap jack and jelly babies. equipment wise just a waterproof jacket, in winter also carry hat, gloves and on runs in the highlands a bothy shelter and thin fleece.

You don't have to be racing to run with a lightweight sack. I often use a tiny and very narrow McKinley or even my OMM/KIMM sac. I use it for long slower training runs, days out and some races. I don't run well with a bumbag- especially if it has more in it than minimal weight- as I find it cuts into me and gives me stomach cramps.

I use PB bumbag for most races and runs of 2 - 3 hours (ish)

http://www.peteblandsports.co.uk/tro.../101/index.htm

which is big enough for all required race kit + a water bottle and food.

For long training runs and v. long races I have an OMM 10L pack

http://www.peteblandsports.co.uk/tro...5/99/index.htm

This holds more but also has the advantage that your stuff is easily accessible, especially if you use a camelbak. Unless the day is hot, I won't usually take more than 1/2 litre of water. There's always streams, but I don't use them unless I'm fairly high up. I tend to use jellybabies to eat but there are lots of alternatives.

Lola

Smile Re: Daysacks anyone?

Totally agree with Karen, I must have the wrong shaped bottom but bum bags are just soo uncomfortable, definitely races only. OMM sacs get my vote every time and you can often find them at reduced prices.

Iain, thanks for that link to Sarah's blog. Not visited before but its already on my favourites list, great photos.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Lola View Post
    Totally agree with Karen, I must have the wrong shaped bottom but bum bags are just soo uncomfortable, definitely races only. OMM sacs get my vote every time and you can often find them at reduced prices.

Iain, thanks for that link to Sarah's blog. Not visited before but its already on my favourites list, great photos.
    Lola have you tried having the bum bag higher up your body.
    Its weird at first but you can get used to it

Lola

Daz,

I ask this in trepidation of setting myself up here but, if not sat on hips/bum where abouts 'higher up' would you have in mind? I have an unpadded Aiguille bum bag with plenty of waist belt to play with. Perhaps a picture would help.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Lola View Post
    Daz,

I ask this in trepidation of setting myself up here but, if not sat on hips/bum where abouts 'higher up' would you have in mind? I have an unpadded Aiguille bum bag with plenty of waist belt to play with. Perhaps a picture would help.
    I meant just above your hips nearer you tummy.
    If your at Sedburgh i can show you
    Have the strap going over your belly button. If your used to having it low on your hips it seems weird at first.

I use the Inov8 race pro 12 and the wife uses OMM 10l or a salamon raid revo 20 (same as IainR).
    Each sac takes enough fluid, first aid kit, waterproofs, food etc for long days out (just about!)

Brecon Beacons tomorrow (19m 4500ft). Gonna try this
    to see if the vaude suspension system works for comfort.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Wheeze; 15-08-2008 at 05:43 PM.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth