Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Daysacks anyone?

Re: Daysacks anyone?

Got myself a Solomon Raid 15 this year - excellent for a days running - has a hydration system, fits all the kit and food you need for a long day and very light and comfortable.

It was very comfy. No bounce at all. Highly recommended.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Try them on in a shop. Some fit and others don't, bit like shoes really, we all have different body shapes. I have made some big mistakes with backpacks in the past and others are great.

I wouldn't take too much notice of the "sizes" of packs, like 10l, 12l, 15l, etc. They seem to vary enormously between manufacturers, take your kit along to the shop and see if it stuffs in the bag or not, and then see whether it fits or not and is stable or not. Job done.

Ran yesterday for the first time with a Innov8 12l sac. I stripped all the padding and hydration out and it sits very low on the body but seems ok. Masses more room than a mates Lowe Alpine 15l .

Regards fluid, I go on experience. Wet summer and gutters running, I know I can pick up water anywhere, just take my 750ml Fairy Liquid bottle . If it was dry or no water I would use hydration system.

Food: However much you can stuff in your gob on a 6 hour run .... take it with you and stuff it in.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Tried running with a Camelbak Mule off the bike yesterday for the first time, as a try out for longer mountain runs. Didn't get on too well really - lots of weight sloshing around (I guess I wouldn't want 2.5l of water in practise, but wanted to try out the weight). Went over on my ankle about 2 miles in on a steep descent. Cried like a baby, lots of swelling, lots of ice. That went well then. Bah!

I just bought the new OMM 4 L bumbag from Likeys:

http://www.likeys.com/acatalog/Bumbags.html

As usual for OMM looks well designed, thought out. Main gripe will be it's the pockets come too far round so the belt doesn't pull in enough for slim people, especially women. Even for me, 34" waist I can't lose much weight if I'm too keep using it.

PS: Definitely recomend likeys, based near Brecon South Wales. I called in after the race for a chat and to buy this, really nice couple, great service and got a cuppa.

Cheers

Iain

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    PS: Definitely recomend likeys, based near Brecon South Wales. I called in after the race for a chat and to buy this, really nice couple, great service and got a cuppa.

Cheers

Iain
    I'll second that, just been chatting to them on the phone, very helpfull and knowledgeable people.

Quote Originally Posted by DanAzz View Post
    I'll second that, just been chatting to them on the phone, very helpfull and knowledgeable people.
    I will third that, Missus and I called in there on a Saturday (few months back) and he spent ages helping and advising + coffee .

Very nice guy, knows his stuff, especially adventure racing, and has some good kit.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

i got inov8 pro twelve which i ran in for the first time this weekend, with hydro bladder full (2ltrs) was a great sac no chaffing and managed to fit waterproofs, space blanket, small torch, thermal running tee, first aid kit hat and gloves (kit was fine, i was ready to collapse with chest infection lol). However, i agree its a bit too much for short training sessions so i've just ordered the 4 ltr bum bag, where i will just have 1tr of water in to make more room.
    Last edited by Darth domain; 18-08-2008 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth domain View Post
    i got inov8 pro twelve which i ran in for the first time this weekend, with hydro bladder full (2ltrs) was a great sac no chaffing and managed to fit waterproofs, space blanket, small torch, thermal running tee, first aid kit hat and gloves (kit was fine, i was ready to collapse with chest infection lol). However, i agree its a bit too much for short training sessions so i've just ordered the 4 ltr bum bag, where i will just have 1tr of water in to make more room.
    just wanted to add, pro 4 came today, nice bit of kit, fits the hydro bladder well,best for just one litre to save room tube clips around the waste belt and not too much dangling, still fits the waterproof top, bottoms hat and gloves and will take a small first aid kit, great little side pockets for dextrose tabs keys etc. Fits great, nice for short runs.

Thank you Ian, Dan and Mole for your kind comments.
    Likeys is presently only internet based, but anyone who finds themselves wandering aimlessly in the Brecon Beacons area is very welcome to pop in and see us.
    We are a new company (nearly 2 years old) and very open to suggestions as to how to improve our service and range of products, particularly as we are branching out into products that might be of interest to members on this forum. So if anyone has any suggestions, please dont hesitate to let me know.
    Thanks
    LFW ......