Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zinc or Iron Mornin or Night?!

Zinc or Iron Mornin or Night?!

Im sure I read somewhere that taking Zinc and Iron at the same time is a bad thing and that one is best absorbed at night the other during the day...which is better taken in the morning and which is better taken at night!?

Re: Zinc or Iron Mornin or Nig

don't know about that, but what you eat/drink with them is important, so iorn - use heme form, eat with foods which increase absorbtion - vit c, the amount of animinal tissure present in the meal and alcholo (there has to be a reason) and avoid those which do not help - tea, coffee, foods containing phosphoric acid (wholegrain products)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by arthurley View Post
    Im sure I read somewhere that taking Zinc and Iron at the same time is a bad thing and that one is best absorbed at night the other during the day...which is better taken in the morning and which is better taken at night!?
    Not necessarily. The iron tablets I've found most useful are Ferrograd. These are time release and if you took zinc at the same time, it's unlikely to interfere with absorption.

I can understand the need for iron a few times a week, or even a low potency multi vit and mineral tab, but why take high doses of zinc?

undercover moderator

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    why take high doses of zinc?
    I find it really galvanises my running.

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    Im a bit rusty on this topic
    let the good times roll.

I found that when taking high doses of iron that I found it hard to sleep, so maybe people suggest taking iron in the morning (I reckoned that getting that side effect meant that I had boosted my iron enough and cut back)

OK

So tried to give blood tonight and refused. Low iron count. This is not the first time, although usually if I have further tests they say oh, it's marginal you are OK really.

I think I eat well. I eat lots. Muesli, OJ and coffee in am, cheese sandwich, apple, orange at lunch and eve tends to be pasta, salad (and I love rocket, watercress etc) I reckon my diet is pretty good.

I really struggled at PPP. Wonder if this is why?
    Any ideas

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    Not necessarily. The iron tablets I've found most useful are Ferrograd. These are time release and if you took zinc at the same time, it's unlikely to interfere with absorption.

I can understand the need for iron a few times a week, or even a low potency multi vit and mineral tab, but why take high doses of zinc?
    Well...according to the font of all wisdom (my missus... ) zinc is important for fertility in women...also men can get deleted in this if...ermm...they are engaged in frequent reproductive activities

So no need for zinc for most of us then eh...
    ...there's a hill nearby missing its fool...

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by karen nash View Post
    OK

So tried to give blood tonight and refused. Low iron count. This is not the first time, although usually if I have further tests they say oh, it's marginal you are OK really.

I think I eat well. I eat lots. Muesli, OJ and coffee in am, cheese sandwich, apple, orange at lunch and eve tends to be pasta, salad (and I love rocket, watercress etc) I reckon my diet is pretty good.

I really struggled at PPP. Wonder if this is why?
    Any ideas
    Maybe karen you just have a low bloodcount

You could be lacking Vit B12 ?
    Do you eat any fish very often
    I know we had a lady at Ilkeston karen whos menstruation cycle affected her iron levels. Could that be the problem.
    Good luck with it, See your GP.

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    Caution here - zinc being a metal can build up in your body. Too much is harmful. The daily guidance dose is, I believe, a maximum dose not a measure of requirement (same scenario as salt in that respect).

I take it sometimes as it is good for, amongst other things, the skin (any spotty people out there?!), hormonal inbalances, immune system and also psyche. I'm prone to the occasional bout of the grumps! I take it with vit C.

I have no medical background so I only comment from previous research and as an intermittent zinc user.

Where is the spell checker on this thingy?
    Impossible is nothing!
    My blog