Thread: Pain in the Arch of Foot

Pain in the Arch of Foot

Hi there,

I've been getting a kind of bruised feeling in the arch of my left foot over the last 2 months or so. It's not especially brought on by running or lack of it. There is no bruise there, but it feels like a bruise, especially when I massage it.

Does this sound familiar to anybody ? I'm worried that it may be the onset perhaps of flat footedness ? I don't know whether to see a physio ?

I've never had any problems whatsoever until this.

All tips gratefully received !!

Re: Pain in the Arch of Foot

Quote Originally Posted by AlanB View Post
    Hi there,

I've been getting a kind of bruised feeling in the arch of my left foot over the last 2 months or so. It's not especially brought on by running or lack of it. There is no bruise there, but it feels like a bruise, especially when I massage it.

Does this sound familiar to anybody ? I'm worried that it may be the onset perhaps of flat footedness ? I don't know whether to see a physio ?

I've never had any problems whatsoever until this.

All tips gratefully received !!
    If you have pain when walking first thing in the morning then you possibly have the start of Planter Faciitiis.
    Be carefull with this problem .
    Mark

Plantar fasciitis was my first thought too. There's a long thread on this, currently located on page 2 of the 'Injuries' section.
    When I had PF earlier this year, I felt I had a bruise where the arch meets the heel, though it could be hard to locate the precise spot; it tended to hurt most first thing in the morning, and when I was barefoot; it seemed to go away after the first few minutes of running, but then came back with a vengeance a few hours afterwards or the following day, and stayed with me for increasingly long periods.
    Is this the kind of thing you're experiencing?
    It lasted about 3 months for me, but it seems it can go on for anything from 2 weeks to 2 years, or even indeifinitely, depending on severity and what's causing it. Physio Ian's postings are very good on the 'detective work' that is often required to identify exactly what's going on.
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

Thanks both - this all sounds very familiar.
    I'll do more reading now I've got something to go on.
    Cheers!

i agree with tussuckface read physio ians postings , very informative . i have had it for 1 year and only the cortisone injection got me running again , now iam very carefull fearfull it will return .

Some excellent stretching routines here which helped me recover from PF (over about 2 months to get back to normal training). Also did regular daily massage and golf-ball rolling along foot to help blood flow to area. I still do the stretches regularly to help stop recurrence. Now vary wary of any twinges in the area as it can take a while to go.

http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/...-exercise.html