Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Nuun tablets

Nuun tablets

i bumped into a fell runner (not literally) at a campsite in horton in ribblesdale this weekend gone, he mentioned these tabs. I've not looked into the science behind em yet. Just wondering if anyone had any views before i purchase

Re: Nuun tablets

It's just electrolytes with no energy. I use 'em and they seem to do the job. One of many options for managing electrolytes, calories, etc in your drink vs gels vs etc.

I was given a couple of tubs from Likeys, http://www.likeys.com/acatalog/Hydration_Nuun.html
    only used once so far to see what they taste like - very paleatable. Think they would be good news especially in hot weather when consuming a lot of fluid - like not this summer .

One tube also has caffeine - saving that for a nightime event
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

undercover moderator

Very good for hangovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    Very good for hangovers.
    Yes they are great for that! Also great if you have been ill. Wife used them after a stomach bug to re-hydrate and swears by them.

Nuuns are great! Never really suffered cramp using them, also feel like I want to drink unlike when I use carb drinks.

A tube of them is cheaper than the equivalent amount in lucozade and they are easier to carry in the hills.

For £5 you cannot really go wrong

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    Think they would be good news especially in hot weather when consuming a lot of fluid - like not this summer .
    Depends where you are I won't gloat too much... Baking hot here

Darth, it was me you bumped into. Had a great run over Whernside and back over Ingleborough on Sunday morning from Ribblehead. Shame you were suffering with the chest.

I swear by the Nuun tabs. The taste is palatable, though like anything else it gets a bit wearing after 6 or 7 hours (which is where I sometimes am in terms of outings).

I suffered really badly with cramp last year during the Old Counties Tops Race (37 miles through the Lakes with 10,000' of up). Lying flat on my back in the ditch at the side of Wrynose Pass gave me resolve to try and do something about it. I suffered again at Duddon 2 weks after that. Putting some extra salt back into my diet was part of the plan.

Nuun came recommended by a club mate of mine who is a top adventure racer and who had been using the tabs for the best part of a year.

The cunning part of the "design" is that although the tablet effervesces when you drop it into the 0.5 liters of water, the resulting drink is flat not fizzy. It also has an underlying hint of the salts in the taste, which takes you away from the sickly taste of some of the other drinks available.

The tabs have been working well for me. Ran the OCTs again this year, 70 minutes quicker than 07 and no cramp whatsoever. In fact, having done numerous longs and super-longs this year (Rombalds Stride, Edale, 3 Peaks, OCTs, Duddon, Rothay Watershed, Cross du Mont Blanc, Wasdale), the only cramp problems I suffered were after Wasdale. I missed the wife at the Greendale road crossing and headed off into the wilderness without food or drink and made do with stream water. I picked up some Nuun at Sty Head but by then the damage was done and I suffered later that evening after the drive home.

4 Flavours from memory; Tri-berry, Citrus, Lemon/Lime and Cola. I am a big fan of the first, the other two are good also. Cola best avoided.

As I mentioned to you, you can get the tabs in 3 packs via Urban Adventure Gear at www.urbanadventuregear.com. John Laughlin the proprietor is an adventure racer/biker/runner himself.

Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by BGSec View Post
    Darth, it was me you bumped into. Had a great run over Whernside and back over Ingleborough on Sunday morning from Ribblehead. Shame you were suffering with the chest.

I swear by the Nuun tabs. The taste is palatable, though like anything else it gets a bit wearing after 6 or 7 hours (which is where I sometimes am in terms of outings).

I suffered really badly with cramp last year during the Old Counties Tops Race (37 miles through the Lakes with 10,000' of up). Lying flat on my back in the ditch at the side of Wrynose Pass gave me resolve to try and do something about it. I suffered again at Duddon 2 weks after that. Putting some extra salt back into my diet was part of the plan.

Nuun came recommended by a club mate of mine who is a top adventure racer and who had been using the tabs for the best part of a year.

The cunning part of the "design" is that although the tablet effervesces when you drop it into the 0.5 liters of water, the resulting drink is flat not fizzy. It also has an underlying hint of the salts in the taste, which takes you away from the sickly taste of some of the other drinks available.

The tabs have been working well for me. Ran the OCTs again this year, 70 minutes quicker than 07 and no cramp whatsoever. In fact, having done numerous longs and super-longs this year (Rombalds Stride, Edale, 3 Peaks, OCTs, Duddon, Rothay Watershed, Cross du Mont Blanc, Wasdale), the only cramp problems I suffered were after Wasdale. I missed the wife at the Greendale road crossing and headed off into the wilderness without food or drink and made do with stream water. I picked up some Nuun at Sty Head but by then the damage was done and I suffered later that evening after the drive home.

4 Flavours from memory; Tri-berry, Citrus, Lemon/Lime and Cola. I am a big fan of the first, the other two are good also. Cola best avoided.

As I mentioned to you, you can get the tabs in 3 packs via Urban Adventure Gear at www.urbanadventuregear.com. John Laughlin the proprietor is an adventure racer/biker/runner himself.

Morgan
    hiya bud, glad you had a good run, chest is still pretty knacked, not even done any road running this week!!!
    Cheers for the info, i have ordered some now from urban adventure, i'll give em a go, would be helpful if i could breath
    Let me know when you're in that neck of the woods again for a trot. I will be there this weekend but probably only walking due to this bloomin chest!
    Mark

I use Nuun tablets as well.
    I don't get on with energy drinks and if I use plain water I find it hard to get enough down on long runs so for me they've been great, nice taste that doesn't leave your mouth sticky
    Bill

I think they are the mutts nuts... no longer do I seem to be plagued with cramp... However, Helvellyn Tri beckons again and that'll be the acid test..
    www.macclesfield-harriers.co.uk
    Teggs Nose Fell Race Saturday 4th August 2018 14.30

Simon Cartledge