Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Nuun tablets

Re: Nuun tablets

this is what about.com has to say about rehydration - although the two italicised sentences seem to contradict eachother ...

According to the Institute of Medicine the need for carbohydrate and electrolytes replacement during exercise depends on exercise intensity, duration, weather and individual differences in sweat rates. [They write, "fluid replacement beverages might contain ~20–30 meqILj1 sodium (chloride as the anion), ~2–5 meqILj1 potassium and ~5–10% carbohydrate."] Sodium and potassium are to help replace sweat electrolyte losses, and sodium also helps to stimulate thirst. Carbohydrate provides energy for exercise over 60-90 minutes. This can also be provided through energy gels, bars, and other foods.

What about Sports Drinks?
    Sports drinks can be helpful to athletes who are exercising at a high intensity for 60 minutes or more. Fluids supplying 60 to 100 calories per 8 ounces helps to supply the needed calories required for continuous performance. It's really not necessary to replace losses of sodium, potassium and other electrolytes during exercise since you're unlikely to deplete your body's stores of these minerals during normal training. If, however, you find yourself exercising in extreme conditions over 3 or 5 hours (a marathon, Ironman or ultramarathon, for example) you may likely want to add a complex sports drink with electrolytes.

I will be doing a mountain marathon soon and would like to use the nuun tablets to help with hydration. I have decided to use a small bladder and a in-line filtration system to filter the water in the bladder.

The problem I would have is you cannot put these tablets or any kind of powder in the water as this buggers up the filter. I will probably use jells and other foods for carbohydrate requirements but what would the solution be regarding hydration tablets such as the nuuns?

Can you chew the a nuuns tablet in your mouth and swallow with some water? Any ideas would be appreciated.

When you put it in your mouth, can I watch?
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Don't eat nuuns. elete water would probably be a better option for a hyrdo pack

I double dare you.

Quote Originally Posted by adventurer View Post
    Can you chew the a nuuns tablet in your mouth and swallow with some water?
    you might have inferred from Grouse that this is not a good plan
    if you try and eat one
    first it will choke you
    then, when you swallow some water, it will explode in your mouth. Most of it will go down your front and the remainder will choke you.
    Its fun to try
    just the once.

my advice would be
    ditch the bladder, carrying a full bladder involves needless carrying of extra weight.
    carry a 500ml wide necked water bottle, screw top with feeder.
    carry it empty most of the time
    Fill it with beautiful fresh stream water, as and when required.
    pop in a nuun tab.
    Last edited by andy k; 06-05-2011 at 04:34 PM.

Wuss.