Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nasal Polyps

Nasal Polyps

Hi All,

On the old forum I posted a thread regarding an upcoming operation I'm having to have nasal polyps removed. (Please if anyone can attach archives please do so now)

I asked the question would I be able to run faster once the operation has been done with the added beniefit of being able to breath through my nose.

This came back with a little mixed debate and I said I would keep peeps posted on how things develop.

Anyhow

I went to see a consuatant a fortnight ago and he was amazing at the size of the things and asked why I did not come years ago. Anyhow I have to have a CT scan tommorow then it will be time for the op in the next few weeks.

The doctor advised me not to run for about a fortnight after the op and to have a week off work.

Ill keep you posted on whether or not it improves my running, but I'm hoping so.

I just wanted to resurrect this thread, perhaps new members may have something to add.

Cheers
    Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by NotOnUrHelly View Post
    On the old forum I posted a thread regarding an upcoming operation I'm having to have nasal polyps removed. (Please if anyone can attach archives please do so now)
    There's a teeny bit of it here http://209.85.135.104/search?q=cache...k&ct=clnk&cd=1

My missus has suffered with these nasal polyps for a couple of years. The steriod drops used to help a bit but she finally took the plunge and had the operation to remove them a couple of month back. She wishes she had done it sooner - breathing is much better, sense of taste and smell has returned plus I get to sleep at night (no more wall shaking snoring ).
    She's not a runner, but she does a bit of cycling - I don't think it helped improve her maximum effort, but all the steady stuff is much more comfortable.

Good luck with the op - hope it improve things for you.

Re: Nasal Polyps

Jamie,

Had mine done 3 days ago. Was seen by the consultant on 22nd December and got in early on a cancellation. The op was no bother at all. Not painful and the cocaine they spray up your nose in the process is a bonus. I can already taste and smell better and am looking forward to being able to run but have to take 3 weeks off... in theory. They also gave me a 10 day course of steroids (not the performance enhancing type) and I have to keep away from work for 2 weeks to avoid infections. I have only been able to breath down one side of my nose for several years and am just kicking myself for not getting it done sooner. Best time of year to get it done too. Have fun!

Thanks for that Inspiring story Tryer.

Im not sure when my op wil be, the doc said my polyps have caused this sinus infection that has been giving me bad pressure headaches. I dont mind the three weeks off running or work for that matter. Hope they push my op through sooner rather than later. Cos Im gonna try to get back into training after this infection has cleared up. So it will just mean broken training but I need to think of the long term. like you say, that you wish you had it done years ago.

Keep me posted.

Thanks
    Jamie

You have a PM Jamie.

Going very well thanks. I sneaked out for a run this afternoon (if my girlfriend knew she WOULD kill me...really!) but the weather was beautiful and I hadnt run for 11 days. I think the long rest and the steroids made it feel like a big effort. The cold air was a bit of a shock to the sinuses so I took it really easy. In theory I shouldn't run for another 10 days but hey. Am planning to try the turbo trainer over the weekend. It was a pity I had to stop running because I was going well (i.e. a couple of 32:30 10Ks and a county vest for XC). Thats the down side.
    I think results from sinus ops are variable but my experience has been very good. Basically they open up the passages to allow the sinuses to drain better. There is a definite yuk factor to begin with [... this is a health thread and if you don't like gore stop reading now...] such as blobs of snot and blood clots which you have to suck out through your throat cos your not allowed to blow your nose [...you were warned]. It feels like having a cold but I could still breath fairly well straight away and it has got steadily better. Now I just want to get off the meds and start running again. Need some miles in my legs before Edale Skyline.

Got my date to go under the knife, its this friday.

Gonna have to have two weeks off work to avoid infection (perhaps a week camping in the lakes would help, with all that clena air) and have 3 weeks off running.

That means I'm going to miss even more races and gonna have to forfeit my number for the duddon valley race

Hopefully, Ill be a new man after this op and not sound like the flying scotsman when running.

Quote Originally Posted by NotOnUrHelly View Post
    I went to see a consuatant a fortnight ago and he was amazing at the size of the things and asked why I did not come years ago.
    Can I ask what first alerted you to the fact that you might have polyps? Are these caused by anything specific, say allergies/hayfever or some such?

J

Jan,

I was struggling with asthma around September time last year, it came to fruition in the three shires race (one shire for me, I only made it 3/4 way up Wetherlam). I then went to the doctor and he put me on some asthma medications. I also alerted him to the fact that I could not breath out of my nose and I seemed to have a permanent 52 weeks a year blocked nose and cold.

He took a look up the snout with a torch and spotted these little polyps, basically there is a asthma/aspirin allergy/polyp triangle. That I fall into, many sufferers of one generally suffer from the others, which I do.

Basically things picked up for me after my drop out of the three shires due to not being able to breath. I ran a good few months and got some decent races in and things improved. Winter this year really wiped me out, think I got a chest infection and that kicked off the asthma again.

I missed quite a few races since crimbo.

Hopefully after these things have been removed I'll be able to breath a lot better and have less problems. Im hoping to have 2-3 weeks off after the op and get myself right for mid-late june. Im gonna do plenty of walking after the op but I think running is out of the question.

Thats that really, it has took 8 months for the operation to come through.