Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kit requirements

Kit requirements

Could the mandatory kit requirements rules be better drafted?

For category A long and medium races runners must have windproof body cover, other body cover appropriate for the conditions, map, compass and whistle. For long races emergency food is needed also.

For any other category it's up to the race organisor to impose any conditions, but only if there is fine and settled weather and it is confirmed by a local weather report.

This means that if you have been to a fell race, and it has not been fine and settled weather and you have not had to carry all the above mentioned kit, then the race organisor has breached the rules. There are loads of fell races where this happens. Did we have any fine and settled weather this summer?

Wouldn't it be better if race organisor's had the freedom to impose kit requirements when they though it appropriate for non cat A races, so that they are not restricted because that particular July day is hot and humid but with a bit of drizzle. Do we need the fine weather condition? Could it not be left to the organisor.

Secondly, some races go over high exposed ground but are not category A. If I organised a cat A long or medium race that went up and down several times but never higher than 500ft grassy slopes I would have to ensure runners had all the kit. If I organised a second race that included 3000ft plus sections, provided the total ascent per mile was below the cat A level kit would not be mandatory. That can't be right can it?

There must be a better way of drafting the rules. If they are being breached because race organisors are using their common sense, it can't be fair that in the event of a problem they would be liable and insurance may be invalidated can it?
    Last edited by Al.; 23-08-2008 at 11:15 AM.

Banned

Re: Kit requirements

I will draft them better for you Al.

All the kit at every race. No Kit No Run.

There, is that what you want?

Ridiculous!

Honestly Stagger!
    Still too heavy to run

I assume the kit requirements are in the FRA rules as part of a risk assessment for the insurance cover.

The requirements of full kit constitute 'best practice' and are mandatory for all AL and AM races. If the weather is expected to be really foul then the organiser may make additional safety requriements (eg The OMM specifies waterproof pants that have taped seams).

For other catagory races, if the weather forecast is settled then the organiser may decide to waive the kit requirements.

So it realy is up to the race organiser to make a decision. As for the runners taking part you should respect the organisers decision.

The golden rule is: TAKE ALL YOUR KIT TO ANY RACE ~ at least you have it if the organiser doesn't waive the requriement.

You should also think of your own safety ~ I was at Buckden on midsummers day this year and it felt like November in a howling gale and torrential rain! It was only an 'AS' but if I had injured myself and got stuck on the hill without kit, would I be here now?
    See the light in the night

Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post
    I assume the kit requirements are in the FRA rules as part of a risk assessment for the insurance cover.

The requirements of full kit constitute 'best practice' and are mandatory for all AL and AM races. If the weather is expected to be really foul then the organiser may make additional safety requriements (eg The OMM specifies waterproof pants that have taped seams).

For other catagory races, if the weather forecast is settled then the organiser may decide to waive the kit requirements.

So it realy is up to the race organiser to make a decision. As for the runners taking part you should respect the organisers decision.

The golden rule is: TAKE ALL YOUR KIT TO ANY RACE ~ at least you have it if the organiser doesn't waive the requriement.

You should also think of your own safety ~ I was at Buckden on midsummers day this year and it felt like November in a howling gale and torrential rain! It was only an 'AS' but if I had injured myself and got stuck on the hill without kit, would I be here now?
    Well said Mapper!

And after all, just how difficult is it to have all your kit (from artic to tropical jungle conditions) in one place and in the bag you take to each and every race
    ...there's a hill nearby missing its fool...

Quote Originally Posted by Stick View Post
    Well said Mapper!

And after all, just how difficult is it to have all your kit (from artic to tropical jungle conditions) in one place and in the bag you take to each and every race
    But what percentage of entrants do? 20%??? Yes it's the rules on occasion but what about common bloody sense?

Banned

The golden rule is: TAKE ALL YOUR KIT TO ANY RACE ~ at least you have it if the organiser doesn't waive the requirement.
    Good answer Mapper

Thats how I see it.

Bollocks. Sounds like health and safety top trumps again. I'll top your full body cover with an obligatory kisu.

The thing which keeps fell runners alive, is a bit of nouse. You could send runners up the hill with full Himalayan expedition gear, but it's no alternative to common sense, and the impetus is on the individual runner to make their own mind up on the conditions, not organisers trying to outdo each other on how"safe" their race is.

If you want to be nice and safe, stay in bed. If you want to be responsible for your own safety, take up fell running. If it all goes to shit, blame yourself, not the organiser, but for God's sake, don't start coming up with all this, Thou shalt carry full kit crap.

respect!

Quote Originally Posted by Pudgy View Post
    Bollocks. Sounds like health and safety top trumps again. I'll top your full body cover with an obligatory kisu.

The thing which keeps fell runners alive, is a bit of nouse. You could send runners up the hill with full Himalayan expedition gear, but it's no alternative to common sense, and the impetus is on the individual runner to make their own mind up on the conditions, not organisers trying to outdo each other on how"safe" their race is.

If you want to be nice and safe, stay in bed. If you want to be responsible for your own safety, take up fell running. If it all goes to shit, blame yourself, not the organiser, but for God's sake, don't start coming up with all this, Thou shalt carry full kit crap.

if the weather forecast is settled then the organiser may decide to waive the kit requirements. So it realy is up to the race organiser to make a decision.
    Mapper, that isn't correct is it. It's up to the weather not the RO. Which is my point. A mid August short race up a hill from a nice village fete, never going above say 500 ft is therefore a race where the RO must impose all kit unless the weather is fantastic. Because, perhaps for understandable reasons, the RO's don't their insurance is invalidated. How does that help anyone?

I agree that runners should be responsible. I agree that RO's should be responsible and accountable. But why have a rule which is routinely ignored. Why can't we just give the RO's the responsibility to make a decision without penalising by making them liable if something happens. Don't they have to accept enough responsibility already, when the bottom line really is that we are all responsible for our own safety.

This is one of a few things about the rules I don't understand. My other main point is why are the mandatory requirements not set according to how high the race goes, which is surely much more important than how steep the climb is. Short steep grassy climb never higher than grassy slopes may be a mandatory kit job, long exposed high rocky ridges may not. Anyone know why? There must be a better way mustn't there?