Thread: Yha-still Good Value ?

Yha-still Good Value ?

Stayed in some great ones in Scottish Highlands and Ireland. Stayed at Grasmere the other week £25, dormitory with 6 others,beakfast not included,curfew at 11.30.
    Discovered we could have stayed at the pub nearby for the same price.
    My hostelling days are over I think

Re: Yha-still Good Value ?

there's not much incentive now, B&B is cheaper and at least you get your own room and dont have to put up with snoring talk in their sleep strangers while worrying about leaving kit about just in case it goes walkies!!

Sad to hear, but I agree. Stayed in Youth Hostel in Highlands with family last week. 4 of us in a small room, 2 sets of bunks. The room was damp and the beds were very loose. Didn't mind this when I was younger and they were cheaper. It cost us nearly £70 for one night, no breakfast. Kids loved it, but wife wasn't impressed.
    30 years and still here.

Yes I agree they are now poor value. A few years ago at least you got a good meal at a decent price. I recently stayed in the Lakes and was surprised at how expensive the meals were. They were filling but not very good quality. Camping barns are probably the best option for a cheap night, and B&B's are better value than hostels.

wanted to add, bunkhouse at the station inn (ribblehead) is great, about 6 bunks in the room, with tea, coffee and milk, kettle plate cups cutlery etc. Shower etc ok, pub right next door. Bunk is 10quid a night, 5.50 to hire bedding if you dont have a sleeping bag. Food in the pub is the dogs brass bits (try the station burger) However, still talk in their sleep snoring strangers

Quote Originally Posted by Darth domain View Post
    wanted to add, bunkhouse at the station inn (ribblehead) is great, about 6 bunks in the room, with tea, coffee and milk, kettle plate cups cutlery etc. Shower etc ok, pub right next door. Bunk is 10quid a night, 5.50 to hire bedding if you dont have a sleeping bag. Food in the pub is the dogs brass bits (try the station burger) However, still talk in their sleep snoring strangers
    How does that compare to the camping charges at Horton-in-Ribblesdale?

I use a YH most weeks of the year - both for running and for work - and at a usual cost of about £13 for the night I reckon they're pretty good value. I should add that I'm a pretty heavy sleeper so the snoring/talking thing isn't much of a problem.

Cheers - Raymond

p.s. have got a camping barn on Dartmoor booked for new year...really looking forward to it.

Am still a member of the YHA, but have not needed to avail myself of their facilities since swapping the car for a van - a couple of thermarests in the back, hinge down 2 burner stove and it's home from home. Plus before / after a run it provides far better changing facilities than trying to shelter under a bootlid / hatch back. And when you do land back home, there's no wet canvas / nylon to dry-out

Quote Originally Posted by Ady In Accy View Post
    How does that compare to the camping charges at Horton-in-Ribblesdale?
    well, i would have been camping the whole trip, but then tent developed leak so checked in at bunk. Horton camping is £2 per car, person and tent totalling 6 quid a night, not bad as there are shower toilet and washing up facilities with a pub and cafe next door. But after the misery of the monsoons, the warm bunkhouse was bliss!

YHA membership went the way of whatever things go the way of when you dont need them anymore sometime ago now due to increase in costs but I do still think you can get some great weekends under the rentahostel scheme.