Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Small lumps in north Wales

undercover moderator

Small lumps in north Wales

I'm dragging the children round some Welsh youth hostels next week, and first up is Bryn Gwynant which I am told is in Snowdonia.

If I was taking them to the Lake District, they would be happy enough going up things like Catbells or Green Gable, but anything over 2,500' would be a definite drag for all concerned.

So can anyone recommend some pointy-but-not-that-high-or-precipitous things up there? Ideally ones without a long walk to get to them...?

Ta very much...

Re: Small lumps in north Wales

A fabulous walk would be the Moel Eilio race route which starts and finishes at the youth hostel in Llanberis. The ridge walk from Moel Eilio is a wonderful grassy rollercoaster and the views off to Anglesey, the Llyn Peninsula and Snowdon are unrivalled IMHO. You have the option of cutting out the last summit, Moel Cynghorion, and returning down the lane.
    Moel Hebog makes a nice single hill climb, again with lovely views of Snowdon. The summit area is quite rocky but there are no nasty drop-offs. Cnicht is another nice hill. Moel Siabod from Capel Curig...lovely.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Moel Siabod from Capel Curig...lovely.
    We walked up Moel Siabod from Dolwyddelan at Easter. We only saw two people the whole 8 or 9 miles.

You can see my four year old sulking at the top, on my avatar.

I did feel like it was cruelty to children as we hauled him up over the rocks (no doubt he'll ring child line as soon as he can operate the telephone) but I thought it was fantastic.

Im also off to North Wales with my offspring next week while Mrs Master stays home with the dog.

There's the Cnicht race on Sunday at 11am if you really want to earn your ice cream and i agree with Wheeze, its a great hill

undercover moderator

Quote Originally Posted by millipede View Post
    Moel Siabod from Dolwyddelan
    You are making all these names up.

I have been practising for Wales.

undercover moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    A fabulous walk would be the Moel Eilio race route which starts and finishes at the youth hostel in Llanberis. The ridge walk from Moel Eilio is a wonderful grassy rollercoaster and the views off to Anglesey, the Llyn Peninsula and Snowdon are unrivalled IMHO. You have the option of cutting out the last summit, Moel Cynghorion, and returning down the lane.
    Cool. Up over something called Braich y Foel on the map?

some nice small ones for you.
    • Moel Winion route from Rachub (carneddau)
    • Yr Eifl & Tre Ceiri (Lleyn Peninsular)
    • Anything around the northern carneddau i.e Tal y fan ,foel Lus,Conwy Mountain area
    • Drum
    • Tryfan or Garn ,from cwm Idwal
    try them for starters,theres plenty more,
    if you`re doing Cnicht ,remember the race is on sunday ,so you could perhaps,incoporate a little run in too?

If you're with young children, there's a bit near the top of Cnicht that's awkward.

If you make use of starting at high passes and run back for the car there's a whole world of high mountains open to you even with children - in North Wales the obvious ones are Snowdon or the Glyders from Pen y Pass.

If the weather's not too great try the low hill above BeddGelert - straight up from the village to the south top on the ROW, then meander on little paths to the north top and join the ROW down to the lake, then run back for the car. On the way down you can climb up to a fascinating copper mine on the left - a huge hole in the ground so don't go too close!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    Cool. Up over something called Braich y Foel on the map?
    The main track is a bit west of that, leaving the lane at Bwlch Y Groes to go up the northern spur of Moel Eilio, Bryn Mawr. You can then carry on south over Foel Gron and Foel Goch. At Bwlch Maes Gwm, the race goes on up to Moel Cynghorion, but for a nice walk you can return to Llanberis on the track.

Of course, from your haunt in Bryn Gwynant you have the nicest route up Snowdon on your doorstep...the Watkin path.
    Last edited by Wheeze; 22-08-2008 at 03:18 PM.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

The joy of posting on here... It means you don't have to attempt to pronounce the names. They look even worse than the names of the Manx hills and bumps.

My Manx wife is often heard to say, "Can't you read. You don't pronounce it like that!!! It's blah, blah, blah".
    www.macclesfield-harriers.co.uk
    Teggs Nose Fell Race Saturday 4th August 2018 14.30

Simon Cartledge