Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Middlewood way????

Question The Middlewood way????

I'm reckoning i can run from Marple to Macclesfield along the Middlewood Way and return back to Marple via the Macc Canal without seeing too much concrete along the way.

In theory i'm reckoning this should be a fast, flat, out and back course, perfect for marthon training, but i've been buggering about with that map my run software all morning and i just can't get a decent idea of the mileage involved.

I know Manhar has run this course a few times in marathon training, but has anyone actually measured it or does anyone have an approximate idea of the distance involved.

Cheers in advance
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There

Re: The Middlewood way????

Quote Originally Posted by Danbert View Post
    I'm reckoning i can run from Marple to Macclesfield along the Middlewood Way and return back to Marple via the Macc Canal without seeing too much concrete along the way.

In theory i'm reckoning this should be a fast, flat, out and back course, perfect for marthon training, but i've been buggering about with that map my run software all morning and i just can't get a decent idea of the mileage involved.

I know Manhar has run this course a few times in marathon training, but has anyone actually measured it or does anyone have an approximate idea of the distance involved.

Cheers in advance
    I used to run along the Middlewood Way from Rose Hill Station to Bollington then back along the canal.
    I reckoned it to be about 16 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    I used to run along the Middlewood Way from Rose Hill Station to Bollington then back along the canal.
    I reckoned it to be about 16 miles.

Looking at the map Swoop the Middlewood Way runs close to the Macclesfield Canal all the way, and there seem to be loads of options for circular runs, but i wonder how far the full hit is?

The Middlewood Way stops at Bollington where the old railway line has been "developed" as part of an industrial state. There is a route around this obstruction however.

Another link here.
    Last edited by XRunner; 21-08-2008 at 08:05 PM.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Quote Originally Posted by XRunner View Post
    The Middlewood Way stops at Bollington where the old railway line has been "developed" as part of an industrial state. There is a route around this obstruction however.

Another link here.
    As you say XRunner, there must be a route around the industrial estate, as my map suggets that The Middlewood Way goes all the way to Macc, where-upon i was hoping to temporarily get on the A537, which meets the canal for the return back to Rose Hill/Marple.

I reckon 13 miles on my digital map thingy.

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    I reckon 13 miles on my digital map thingy.

That's just one way though surely Dom!!!!

You going to be running to the start of this run you plan as well? That will make it some trip out!!!
    @roadrunneraj #gohardorgohome

novice

As you say XRunner, there must be a route around the industrial estate, as my map suggets that The Middlewood Way goes all the way to Macc, where-upon i was hoping to temporarily get on the A537, which meets the canal for the return back to Rose Hill/Marple.
    It does actually continue all the way into Macc and comes out at the rail way station but this is not near the canal.

Best bet is to run as far as Bollington,you'll know you are there as you will be going over the only major road, just before you cross this drop down on the left passed the play ground and head up to the main road. At the main road turn left and you will quickly get to the canal at the aquaduct. To get on the correct tow path when you are coming from middlewood way cross to the right hand side of the main road and up some very steep steps just before the aquaduct.

Hope this makes sense

There are distance markers on the middlewood way

Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    It does actually continue all the way into Macc and comes out at the rail way station but this is not near the canal.

Best bet is to run as far as Bollington,you'll know you are there as you will be going over the only major road, just before you cross this drop down on the left passed the play ground and head up to the main road. At the main road turn left and you will quickly get to the canal at the aquaduct. To get on the correct tow path when you are coming from middlewood way cross to the right hand side of the main road and up some very steep steps just before the aquaduct.

Hope this makes sense

There are distance markers on the middlewood way

Thanks for that Novice - how far do you guestimate the round trip from Rose Hill Station to Bollington on the Middlwood Way and then returning via the canal is? Swoop is only giving me 16 miles - i need more

You going to be running to the start of this run you plan as well? That will make it some trip out!!!
    That would make it a bloody Ultra marathon