Thread: Stolen Bike

Stolen Bike

Had my bike stolen yesterday. I left it for 10 minutes and it was gone. Got a crime number and set the insurance claim going. This morning I was driving past the crime scene. There was my bike with a note on saying SORRY. Had to cancel insurance claim etc. I have never seen or heard of anything like this. Just wondering if any similar stories.

Re: Stolen Bike

I've been really unlucky with stolen bikes over the years, 4 at the moment.
    However I waswalking through town once and I saw a bloke riding one of my stolen ones, me and my mate chased after him,dragged him off it,called the police on my mobile and amazingly they were there within minutes. He told police who he had bought it off and off they went to arrest him
    So I did get that bike back.

Quote Originally Posted by No Snow View Post
    Had my bike stolen yesterday. I left it for 10 minutes and it was gone. Got a crime number and set the insurance claim going. This morning I was driving past the crime scene. There was my bike with a note on saying SORRY. Had to cancel insurance claim etc. I have never seen or heard of anything like this. Just wondering if any similar stories.
    Thats excellent! Had you not locked the bike up? Just wondering how they managed to get your bike?

I had a bike stolen when I was a kid and then saw it for sale in a shop window 2 weeks later. Funny enough the shop keeper gave me the bike back without me having to ring the police.

I had it locked but not with my usual heavy u lock. Thought im only gonna be 10 mins and so locked it with a crappy cable lock. Will carry the heavy u lock with me from now on regardless of whether it gives me a bad back or not.

Ps nice to hear from you hopey. Hope your knee is sorted I have been reading your cycling posts with interest.

There seems to be a trend of unbridled compassion going on throughout the UK. In the last month, this is the 3rd such incident I have heard of where the weight of guilt has hung heavy on the shoulders of the miserable thieving scrotts.
    The other incidences did make headline news (which is amazing in itself!!!)

The disappearing gnome.....http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/g...re/7555918.stm

and....

The vanishing roundabout sculpture.......http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/l...re/7576462.stm

Its a strange ole World.....

Well done on getting your bike back....

NoSnow, did they leave any compensation with the note, such as a couple of theatre or cinema tickets? A bloke down the road from the wife's aunt in Birkenhead had his car stolen off his driveway. It reappeared next evening, fully valeted, with an envelope on the dashboard containing a "sorry, needed transport urgently" note plus 2 theatre tickets by way of compensation. The guy and his wife went to the theatre performance at the appointment time, on the appointed day. When they returned home, there wasn't a solitary stick of anything remaining in the house - completely cleaned out!
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 29-08-2008 at 09:15 AM.

That's a grim story donkey. No such luck for me just a barely legible note. Although the theatre ain't my bag anyway, so I would have been beaten up by the thieves instead.

I had it locked but not with my usual heavy u lock. Thought im only gonna be 10 mins and so locked it with a crappy cable lock. Will carry the heavy u lock with me from now on regardless of whether it gives me a bad back or not.

Ps nice to hear from you hopey. Hope your knee is sorted I have been reading your cycling posts with interest.
    I'm getting there mate, got the bike set up right now (hopefully) and I just now need to try and stop pushing to hard a gear. Just missed most of the Summer (?) with running and cycling!

How's things with you?