Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clockwise or anti-clockwise?

Clockwise or anti-clockwise?

So what considerations do people have when choosing the BG clockwise or anti-clockwise?

Seems like up to 2000 there was a 49:51 split clockwise to anti-clockwise then 2001-2007 was 81:19. So why the change?

People who have done it, what was your considerations in choosing the way you have gone?

Do you recce both ways then decide which way you prefer or do you just decide one way and stick to it?

Purely curious you understand. Not planning at all....honest

Re: Clockwise or anti-clockwis

2009 or 2010 Ant??!!

2010 is miles away

If I was to do it then it would be on the weekend of the first full moon of June 2009 (Sunday) which happens to co-incide with my birthday on Friday 5th.

But just curious you understand

I went clockwise - because:
    • the 3 biggest climbs in that direction (Skiddaw, Clough Head, Yewbarrow - see BGclimbs) are out of the way by the time you're 2/3 of the way round
    • I was happier doing the road section at the end, on the basis that I could stagger along it however knackered I was
    • I liked doing a big climb at the start to make sure I set off slowly right from the start
    • that was the way I was used to on the supports I'd done for other people
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

Quote Originally Posted by BillJ View Post
    I went clockwise - because:
    • the 3 biggest climbs in that direction (Skiddaw, Clough Head, Yewbarrow - see BGclimbs) are out of the way by the time you're 2/3 of the way round
    • I was happier doing the road section at the end, on the basis that I could stagger along it however knackered I was
    • I liked doing a big climb at the start to make sure I set off slowly right from the start
    • that was the way I was used to on the supports I'd done for other people
    But surely if you go anti-clockwise then the climbs are different? e.g Clough head would not be as big a climb as you are going the other way meaning roughly 100m climb? but Wasdale to Scafell would be up there as the biggie?

Fair point re: the road at the end although I can see dropping down from Skiddaw with Keswick in the distance quite a cool notion? I could also see the road section as a nice warm up before a big hill kills me?

Oh the choices

Quote Originally Posted by AJF View Post
    But surely if you go anti-clockwise then the climbs are different? e.g Clough head would not be as big a climb as you are going the other way meaning roughly 100m climb? but Wasdale to Scafell would be up there as the biggie?
    Yes. Anti-clockwise the biggest climbs will be different, but what I was trying to say was that the biggest climbs anti-clockwise are not in the first 2/3 (because of Blencathra and Skiddaw.)
    Going clockwise, its a relatively gentle run-in from Great Gable.

Quote Originally Posted by AJF View Post
    ... although I can see dropping down from Skiddaw with Keswick in the distance quite a cool notion? I could also see the road section as a nice warm up before a big hill kills me?
    Yep, both good reasons to go anti-clockwise.
    Doesn't matter - just dedicate yourself to doing it and go for it.
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

Yes, see what you are saying re: the hills and I guess once you hit Honister you just need to hang on in there. But if going the other way you may get the tougher Honister to Dunmail done first but it isn't the easiest route in from there.

Suppose it makes recce's easier if you do a leg then do it again in reverse.

Really curious why the change in focus from an even split to a huge weight towards clockwise.

I went that way because Bob Graham went that way. I'm not suggesting for a second it's any more valid that way because it isn't, but that sort of felt right to me.

SOme ppl go the other way because it better enables a morning start which suits the body clock for many, but the whole thing is 66 miles with 29,000' of climbing or whatever either way so it's all swings and roundabouts really.

ST

Where would you rather be with 5 hours to go after 18 hours out on your feet?
    Great Gable with a gentle trundle down to honister and an easy last section, or Threlkeld in the dark with those three bloody big climbs and the biggest single descent on the round to come?
    Clockwise, without a doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Toni View Post
    I went that way because Bob Graham went that way. I'm not suggesting for a second it's any more valid that way because it isn't, but that sort of felt right to me.
    That's one of the main reasons I chose CW. Don't think I even realised you could go round the other way when I first started looking at the route.

It's also the way the previous BGers in my club had gone round, so I had them and some of their support crew with me and they only knew the lines CW. Once one way has become popular, it becomes easier to do the same as the better lines become more well known.