Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Clockwise or anti-clockwise?

Re: Clockwise or anti-clockwis

I'm not sure about the direct 'heather' route off Calva now - Marcus made a lot of time up on Jonathon, who was going strongly and on his 21 hr schedule - (Jonathon came down the fence and Marcus down the heather).

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    I think you're right about Hall's Fell - fine going anticlockwise. Doddick Fell is better for the clockwise round as it's so much more runnable.

I didn't ever really consider an anticlockwise round as I was adopted by the well oiled Pennine clockwise BG machine, and I suppose I also thought that if the majority go clockwise, who am I to say that anticlockwise is better?

I'd been told that on a clockwise round, if you can get to the top of Great Gable more or less on time, you're home and dry because it isn't too big a drop to Honister, and Clough Head isn't a hard climb. For me, Gable was 4 hours and 10 minutes (our schedule says 4 hours 29 mins), 13.4 miles and 2750ft climb before I finished. Compare that with Threlkeld to Keswick of 13.3 miles and 5000ft climb. I know which I'd rather do on tired legs.
    I think you mean Dale Head.
    Clough head is a hardish climb (cw of course).
    Clockwise made the most sense to me, and still does now.
    The fence route up ACW Down CW off G Calva is the way to go.
    Lancslad

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    I'm not sure about the direct 'heather' route off Calva now - Marcus made a lot of time up on Jonathon, who was going strongly and on his 21 hr schedule - (Jonathon came down the fence and Marcus down the heather).

Indeed he did get well ahead after being behind at GC but I believe that was in part due to Jonathon heading a little too far downstream before crossing the Caldew. Bobert crosses further upstream. I am keen to check out the heather route again though, as I clocked the descent from GC summit to the bottom of the fence at only 15min/mile pace last week with Jonathan. Bearing in mind he did 3:30 including an awful, dark descent of Halls Fell ridge then surely the heather route must be better.

Regarding AC or CW well i dont really know enough about the later sections to make any valid comment but as all my recces and help to attempts so far have been CW then that is probably the way i would opt to do it. As i get used to longer and longer runs though, i intend to run sections in full then in reverse to familiarise myself with every aspect of the ground.
    Event Photography
    www.athletesinaction.co.uk

I think the best route between Gt Calva and Blencathra passes just S of the sheepfold and crosses the river at about NY297299. From there the climb is on good ground with short grass. Follow a line just N of the Mungrisdale common cairn.
    My preferred descent from Blencathra follows a steep drop that crosses Middle Tongue and follows the W stream to Gate Gill. It is very runnable and quicker than Hall's Fell. WARNING: There is an optimum line. If you get it wrong, you could be in serious trouble.
    Yiannis

Bobert

Quote Originally Posted by AJF View Post
    So inagine this........12 hours into your round. You are stood on Bowfell cold, wet hungry and tired.

Would you prefer to be looking at Scafell or Helvellyn?

I understand that clockwise has the easiest last section but anti-clockwise means that it is an easier second half.
    Hi Anthony

I'll let you know next weekend. I've thought that once i'm on Bowfell on a clockwise round, there's only Yewbarrow left.

Iain

Quote Originally Posted by Bobert View Post
    Hi Anthony

I'll let you know next weekend. I've thought that once i'm on Bowfell on a clockwise round, there's only Yewbarrow left.

Iain
    ...and Great Gable.
    Yiannis

Quote Originally Posted by ydt View Post
    My preferred descent from Blencathra follows a steep drop that crosses Middle Tongue and follows the W stream to Gate Gill. It is very runnable and quicker than Hall's Fell. WARNING: There is an optimum line. If you get it wrong, you could be in serious trouble.
    Yiannis
    A few of us had a "race" down this descent and Doddick fell.

The Middle Tongue/Gate gill descenders had to wait about ten minutes at the bottom before the others turned up, they gave the lame excuse they had got "lost" I'm not so sure

One of the Middle Tongue descenders did comment on the drops where you could injure yourself but I thought they added to the excitement.

You will have that lemming feeling the first time you drop of the summit mind
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bobert View Post
    Hi Anthony

Iain
    Thats the spirit

Good luck
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Baggins View Post
    A few of us had a "race" down this descent and Doddick fell.

The Middle Tongue/Gate gill descenders had to wait about ten minutes at the bottom before the others turned up, they gave the lame excuse they had got "lost" I'm not so sure

One of the Middle Tongue descenders did comment on the drops where you could injure yourself but I thought they added to the excitement.

You will have that lemming feeling the first time you drop of the summit mind
    Not lost honest. Just decided to visit Scales farm.
    Doddick - if we had made the right hand turn onto it would be the fastest way down - especially so if it is still dark. The other 2 decents are just too technical. But I get the feeling you will be leading the group down Middle tongue Mr Baggins.
    After all your the boss. You can do the same from Kirkfell on as well
    Lancslad

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lucker View Post
    I think you mean Dale Head.
    Clough head is a hardish climb (cw of course).
    Clockwise made the most sense to me, and still does now.
    The fence route up ACW Down CW off G Calva is the way to go.
    But of course I do