Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Clockwise or anti-clockwise?

Re: Clockwise or anti-clockwis

Some years ago Paddy Buckley did some statistics for clockwise and anticlockwise and found that the anticlockwise rounds were on average half an hour longer. I suspect the reason lies in that in a clockwise direction most steep and rough slopes are uphills and most of the downhills are more like long runnable ramps.
    Yiannis

Quote Originally Posted by ydt View Post
    Some years ago Paddy Buckley did some statistics for clockwise and anticlockwise and found that the anticlockwise rounds were on average half an hour longer. I suspect the reason lies in that in a clockwise direction most steep and rough slopes are uphills and most of the downhills are more like long runnable ramps.
    Yiannis
    Thanks for those thoughts Yiannis. I can certainly see that point on Legs 3 and 4. Compare the long descent off Scafell and the gradual descent from the Gables to Honister with the steep slopes off both Yewbarrow and Steel Fell.

From my own personal point of view, I really like the thought of getting the rough ground of Gt Gable, Kirk Fell and Pillar out the way early on and then, having got to the top of Bowfell, knowing it was fairly easy under foot all the way to the top of Steel Fell.

Lots to think about. For now, I think I'll go and try a few recce days doing anti and then see how I feel about it.
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

Reckon I will probably recce the legs going one way then turning around and going back the same way solves the how to recce issue.

Great way to find different grassy lines that are obvious at the bottom of a hill but not so obvious when looking down.

Been interesting to hear all thoughts (which is basically don't be foolish, go clockwise) but am still baffled why so many people went anti-clockwise until recent years?

You reckon the internet has anything to do with it? All online info states leg 1 is Keswick to Threckeld etc. Previous to 2000 there was a lot less online info therefore less knowledge shared between people attempting the round?

I did the "recce both ways" bit, as you say good for finding path junctions and the like.

Dunno why there should be a discrepancy between pre-web and current ratios - the law of big numbers would suggest that given equal validity of the choices things even themselves out over time. I suspect that a lot of decisions come down to something along the lines of "I supported X going this way and know it so I'll go that way round as well".

As for online info being biased towards clockwise, I can only comment on my own stuff: they default to clockwise but you can set them up for anti-clockwise. The code used for the calculator and other stuff had to have a default and since BG went clockwise I went with that.