Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: end to end

Master and MR

end to end

Has anyone on here cycled the end to end solo??????????
    Plan to attempt this next year , any advice appreciated.

Re: end to end

Another new bike then??? Have you got the Rourke built yet?

Daz, I cannot claim an end to end, or indeed solo; but in summer 2007 I did ride my 531 'cross bike ( including Schwalbe Landcruiser tyres ) from Lancaster to Lands End ( approx half an e2e ):-
    Day 1. Lancaster - Chester (approx 80 miles) - Wednesday
    Day 2. Chester - Leominster (approx 80 miles)
    Day 3. Leominster - Cheddar (approx 80 miles)
    Day 4. Cheddar - Oakhampton (approx 80 miles)
    Day 5. Oakhampton - Wadebridge (approx 50 miles) - Sunday, arrived at our holiday accommodation for the following 7 days.
    Day 6. rest
    Day 7. Wadebridge - Lands End (approx 60 miles) - Penzance (10 miles), train to Bodmin Parkway - Wadebridge ( 13 miles ).
    My mate Brian that I rode with has 8x e2e's under his belt. Our wives drove the cars, but only rendezvoused with us at mid-day and in the evening.
    Toughest parts? -
    Day 3 between Hereford and the Severn Bridge, some long steep hills on the Welsh border; and same again on Day 4 in Devon. But climbed everything without having to dismount.
    The highlight? -
    The end of Day 2 descending for something like 5 miles into Leominster. Due to roadworks, it was single file traffic on the wrong-side of the road, wedged between 2 artics, with a 750cc Honda on my offside, and all at around 40 m.p.h.
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 01-09-2008 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    Has anyone on here cycled the end to end solo??????????
    Plan to attempt this next year , any advice appreciated.
    Not done it Daz but done equivalant milage in the week. Check out CTC website for more info, good stuff on there, not sure if it is in members only section though - maybe worth the fee for insurance & stuff anyway. Be a piece of piss compared to a BG, think you should do it on a monocycle to make it more of a challenge

Ive always wanted to do the E2E.
    Ive also always wanted to do the New York Marathon and in 9 weeks I will have done it so I should really start to seriously think about when the Tour of Britain will be for me. Next year is unlikely and 2010 I'm hoping to do BGR so maybe 2011?
    I always imagined I would do it in 9 or 10 days. Averaging 90-100/day would require achieving around 15mph for 7hrs a day, leaving 17 hrs each day to fill with eating or sleeping/resting. However I would intend to do it on a racing bike with the missus driving ahead daily to each lunch and evening stop - so minimal kit requiring carried

I suppose if you are on a fullly loaded bike and are camping then it would be much harder (or take longer)
    Event Photography
    www.athletesinaction.co.uk

Master

Mimi Anderson did it in 12 days fifteen hours on foot. http://www.marvellousmimi.com/

so i reckon on a bike 5-6 days taking it easy should see it done
    The older I get the Faster I was

Master and MR

Not got my rourkie yet but shouldnt be to long now

I will do this next year on my re built raleigh racer. Ive added a pannier rack and various stuff that is needed.
    A friend in Ilkeston RC did it over 11 days and said that was not to quick, not to slow and he really enjoyed it.
    Although he did it on his lightweight whereas mine will be laden down with tent, kit , etc etc as im planning on jumping on the train to lands end and doing it solo.
    So the bike will be fairly heavy.
    Anyone know where to get some waterproof panniers from ??

Local lad Gethin Butler has the record in 44 hours. He pretty much dropped competitive cycling last year to concentrate on running although it looks like he is sticking to road running and not the fells.

Master and MR

44hrs, amazing