Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ilkley Incline

Re: Ilkley Incline

Forgive my ignorance, is that road over from Keighley/Riddlesden to Ilkley drive-able or is it just a track?
    So would road shoes be best for this race?
    thx in advance
    Clive, Hebden Bridge

The road 'over the top' is not driveable. Tarmac on the Riddlesden side, rough track on the Ilkley side with some very rough sections on steep bits that are passable with a good 4*4, but please don't take that as a challenge, the gouges on the concrete drainage channels that cross the track indicate that some serious damage has been done to people's vehicles!
    You see the odd delivery van driver scratching his head and cursing his Satnav there, before turning round and going the long way round.

Saying that, road shoes advised for runners.

Just a quick plug for the race, now in its 10th year. We have some new sponsors and a fantastic array of prizes, thanks to them. This is a great challenge, and we're hoping for a really big turnout this year.
    Details here http://ilkleyharriers.co.uk/index.php?page=incline

Thanks Paul, much appreciated.
    Don't take it as a challenge, heh heh, hope you don't think I'm that Snowdon chump looking for a new challenge! Mr Sensible I'm afraid.
    Thanks also for footwear info, really looking forward to this one, still on my list to do, an uphill only race, also a downhill only race.
    See you there
    Clive, Hebden Bridge

I might be tempted by this .... like Clive I've never done an uphill-only race, I've wanted to do that Mow Cop Killer Mile race for a while but never got to it. Ilkley is only a short hop over the hill for me, I should do it really ....
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Normanton, Wakefield. West Riding of Yorkshire

Thought about it, but I can't justify to myself (let alone to SWMBO!!) travelling perhaps 1 & 1/2 hours - traffic dependant - for a mile-long race
    Generally to be found plodding along with 'www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk'

Definitely going to be there for this one, looks like a blast.

Many thanks to all for helping me to fulfill one of my ambitions, an uphill only race.
    All your hard work and help much appreciated, ta.
    Well I'm still coughing my guts up even tho it's over an hour and a half after I finished.
    But I'm happy and managed about 10.40ish, so plenty of room for improvement once I'm fit again.
    Wore the nice green hat expecting the worse, weather wise, but you managed to organise a window of dry weather, yay!
    Clive, Hebden Bridge

Well it rained heavily for the majority of the drive over from Leeds, turned torrential about 6.30ish but luckily the weather gods were with us and it actually stopped for the race and the 'jog' back down the route afterwards. Even the wind didn't seem too bad during the race.

Thanks to all Ilkley Harriers organisers and marshalls for a well organised event as always. Didn't stay around for results etc as wanted to get home and showered but happy with my 10.04 (47 secs faster than last year). Hope other Forumites enjoyed it.

Edit: Like you Clive, I'm coughing well now. Unfortunately with the weather I didn't go in search of possible Forumites - apart from a v brief chat with our esteemed Chairman on the start line - and there was me thinking I was too close to the front at the start line Graham!
    Last edited by Multiterrainer; 07-09-2011 at 09:11 PM.

....and as always Ilkley Harriers have been efficient in getting the results out... http://www.ilkleyharriers.org.uk/inc...ineresults.pdf

Hard work and can't say I ran particularly well, ho hum, roll on the next race.... :thunbdown:

Cheers for the race though, have to admire anyone standing around in that weather, brollies out in evidence beforehand. Thanks
    Last edited by biara; 07-09-2011 at 11:10 PM.