Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bet you've heard this before

Re: Bet you've heard this befo

I've just looked at the price of the Midsummer Munro.
    I couldn't agree more, gej!

Quote Originally Posted by downsrunner View Post
    Trouble is, living about as far south as you can get, there aren't too many local fell runners who could take me under their wing! any advice on training and preparation, or suggestions as to beginner friendly races that aren't too far north would therefore be greatly appreciated.
    Going back to your original question...
    With your experience you probably don't need to think about beginner friendly races so much as respecting beginner-unfriendly races. You can probably handle nearly all the races in the calendar, but you might like to get a few races under your belt before taking on long races with extreme climb and difficult terrain underfoot (such as found in the Lakes and Snowdonia). Most races in the Peaks and South Wales should be within your grasp, but choose a couple of short or medium races first so you can assess your own abilities and take it from there. Maybe races like Waun Fach (med), Kinder Downfall (med) would be good to build confidence and Brecon Beacons (long), Edale Skyline (long but full this year), 3 Peaks (long, further north) would be good ones to try after that. These suggestions don't make much sense chronologially, but it depends how many races you have time for this year.

Navigation - mostly it's more about having the inside knowledge on best routes / lines that makes the difference, and you can't train for that, you have to enter the races and pick up the knowledge by talking to people.

Difficult terrain - for uneven terrain your running on the South Downs will stand you in good stead, you just need to do some recces / enter some races and get some practise.

What I'm trying to say is that I think you have the basic map/compass skills, agility, and a start on the required leg strength, and you will cope with most fell races ok.

Join the FRA, get the calendar, plan some races and training, go ahead, take the plunge

Steve

Cheers for all the replies guys, i've only just figured out how to check if i had any (complicated forum this)! All those race suggestions have given me something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Downsrunner I've seen that avatar elsewhere. Assuming you're the same person not an avatar thief, it's nice to see you here!
    You found me out Stevie, i'm on the runnersworld forums as mudmoster and have used the same avatar here. as you can probably tell from that name i've always far preferred off road to pavement plodding so it was probably inevitable that i'd find my way here eventually! have to say i'm really chuffed to hear you speak so positively about my current experience and the likelihood of me coping in a proper fell race. I'd still give even the shortest of races the respect it's due but you've really spurred me on to give it a go.

Yeah I hung around the Beachy Head marathon forum a bit last year. Your reports on the ground condition were useful, although my shoe selection was never in doubt. In the end it was pretty fast underfoot as you know.

See you on the fells somewhere!

it's a lot sloppier at the moment, i can tell you! i've just bought a pair of roclites and i'm sliding around all over the place! i may have to line the coffers of messrs walsh at this rate.

Quote Originally Posted by downsrunner View Post
    it's a lot sloppier at the moment, i can tell you! i've just bought a pair of roclites and i'm sliding around all over the place! i may have to line the coffers of messrs walsh at this rate.
    I was out this am (Sunday) in my Flyrocs and it is so sloppy at the moment that there were several moments when I wish I'd had my Walshs on, both going down and going up (the 'best' was going trough the entrance to a feild calf deep in a mixture of mud and cow pat)...was fun though and great to be back out after a week spent mostly in bed swaeting and blowing my nose.

We'll have to meet up for some runs in the summer/autumn as the Jog Shop Jog and Beachyhead approach; it'll be a good excuse to travell a few miles and run on some different chalky/flinty paths!

All the best - Raymond

sounds good to me raymond, i could probably round up a few other beachy head veterans to make up a downs pounding squad.