Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Money at the Races

Re: Money at the Races

I did the Garburn and Coniston ones out of the series last year and thoroughly enjoyed them and the atmosphere at the start/finish.
    Perhaps I should have had a prize for ' Bloodiest Runner to Finish' after a crashing fall coming down the Garburn Trail. Still carrying the scars now !!

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Some people seem to not want bigger and better races in the UK.
    Bigger is not always better.

Race organisers need to consider a number of issues before deciding on their race limits. e.g. the impact on the local communitiy and the environment.

Fell runners should also consider their motives for entering races.
    Why should they follow the herd and enter races where there are large fields.

My preference will always be a small traditional race where I can enjoy the scenery and the company of a few locals rather than the big impersonal races, professionally organised, but are rather a blot on the landscape.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Wink Re: Money at the Races

Seems a lot fairer , to spread the prizes. Suppose it makes one question why sposors offer prizes? To encourage high quality top end competitors? Most of us know we'll never win a thing, i'm fine with that but think there should be different prize structures in some races, an example in the States is prizes based on weight range, this would be interesting as elite runners fall in the very slim and toned category. This method (based in weight) would encourage newer , poss heavier runners too. Food for thought, i just think that current prize structures are archaic , seems like they haven't progressed since the guides races when u won 3/- and 6d.

Not sure I like the weight based prizes idea - because the elite runners tend to be light, it doesn't help guys like me who are lightweight and crap!

I am just happy to be out fell running ,be it a large event,following the herd if you like or doing a small local event with 30 runners when I have to use my own 'navigational skills '

Quote Originally Posted by XRunner View Post
    Bigger is not always better.

Race organisers need to consider a number of issues before deciding on their race limits. e.g. the impact on the local communitiy and the environment.

Fell runners should also consider their motives for entering races.
    Why should they follow the herd and enter races where there are large fields.

My preference will always be a small traditional race where I can enjoy the scenery and the company of a few locals rather than the big impersonal races, professionally organised, but are rather a blot on the landscape.
    All the Lakeland Trails races involve the community, local businesses and support local organisations helping with marshalling and stewarding such as Coniston & Kendal Mountain Rescues, Cumbria Wildlife Trust, Hawkshead Recreation Ground Fund, Keswick Junior Football Club. Over £3000 has been paid out to these organisations so far.

Cumbria Tourist Board did an economic impact on the events last year - they are bringing over £0.5 Million in to the local economy. Over 80% of the competitors are travelling from outside the county to take part. Because they are FUN, and there's stuff for spectators and children, they bring their families along, and a large percentage stay for the weekend.

The National Trust did an impact assessment after the first event in Hawkshead. As the courses are designed using environmentally sustainable bridleways, 1000 competitors is not going to make any impact.

My fell running preference is to go on the fells ALONE, with just a map, compass and bumbag for company.

My racing preference has always been "big occassion"
    Puma Trailfox Lakeland Trails - Inspiring Races in Beautiful Places

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Runner View Post
    On another tack, why has the thread been moved away from the fell race section? The race is registered with the FRA (BM) and in the calendar and everything ???
    It may be in the Fixture list but it not a true fell race as it only follows roads and footpaths and trails.

Having run last year I can say it was a good event on the whole and having stopped the weekend can assure everyone that the locals were more than happy to stage the event .

One area that could be improved is not to have the slower joggers running down the narrow path at the same time as the mass field are trying to go up it .

Who cares if the same people win the prizes in races!?
    If they are good enough more power to their arm or leg as the case may be.
    When I look at what these people are winning it makes me train harder, maybe their standard isn't attainable but it still makes me train harder to get the best out of myself. Fell racing (for me) is about competition -the 'purist' aspect although noble will always be a secondary consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    It may be in the Fixture list but it not a true fell race as it only follows roads and footpaths and trails.
    As do many other fell races.

The requirements for an event to be considered as a fell race are published in the FRA Rules for Competition.

There is nothing in these Rules that state that a "true fell race" cannot follow roads, footpaths or trails.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Aren't these races in the calendar, but not registered / insured with the FRA?

They're good races - a lot harder than most midweek 'fell races' in the summer.... Especially when you run 2/3rds of it with a torn calf!