Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rogaining

Rogaining

Anyone done one of the 24 hour rogaining events? If so where? There seem to be a few around Europe but not even a sniff of one in the UK?

From what I can gather its like a 24 hour score mountain marathon with no break unless you want to and you just bivvy if or where you drop? Is that right?

Sorting my summer out at the moment and fancying a trip abroad for a race and either the European Kimm out near Geneva or a rogaining event somewhere. Just like to know what peoples thoughts are on them and if anyone has any to recommend?

Re: Rogaining

Check the International Rogaining Federation website.

Quote Originally Posted by IRF
    What is Rogaining?

Rogaining is the sport of long distance cross-country navigation. The championship rogaine is of 24 hours duration but there are several shorter variants. Teamwork, endurance, competition and an appreciation of the natural environment are features of the sport. Rogaining involves both route planning and navigation between checkpoints using a variety of map types.
    Rogaines are generally day and night events in which teams of two to five members travel entirely on foot, navigating by map and compass. Teams select their own order of visiting checkpoints in terrain that varies from open countryside to hilly forest.

A central base camp provides hot meals and teams may return at any time to eat, rest or enjoy the fellowship. Teams travel at their own pace, and anyone from children to grandparents can experience the personal satisfaction that comes from cross-country navigation at individual levels of competition and comfort.
    Last edited by XRunner; 10-01-2008 at 11:52 PM.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

There's one in Ireland (http://www.setantaorienteers.org/rogaine.html). I think this is the closest one.

So it is pretty much a mountain marathon without the overnight camp.

Saw http://www.icebug24.com flyers at the OMM and peaked my interest. Obviously finishing would be my only goal.

Has anyone here done one?

Oh no, not again:

"All GPS and other electronic navigation systems are prohibited. An altimeter, however, is recommended. In addition, we recommend a mobile phone in case of emergency"

Quote Originally Posted by Al. View Post
    Oh no, not again:

"All GPS and other electronic navigation systems are prohibited. An altimeter, however, is recommended. In addition, we recommend a mobile phone in case of emergency"
    Whooaa...this slope's getting slippy...
    ...there's a hill nearby missing its fool...

yes yes they "recommend" a mobile. So does the Rab MM and I carried one for that. I broke it at overnight camp as it got wet but hey ho.

Oh and recommend and stipulate is VERY different.

Lets not let another thread go down this route.

Quote Originally Posted by AJF View Post
    yes yes they "recommend" a mobile. So does the Rab MM and I carried one for that. I broke it at overnight camp as it got wet but hey ho.

Oh and recommend and stipulate is VERY different.

Lets not let another thread go down this route.
    Yes, I agree (differentiation twixt recommend and mandate). I was just being mischievous really (it is Friday chill-night ) so I promise not to thrash yer thread by injecting that other debate!
    ...there's a hill nearby missing its fool...

I'd recommend the 1st Swiss Rogaine that is coming up. The organiser is Dieter Wolf (KIMM Elite winner, also many top placings in World Rogaine Champs).

The date is 12/13th July from Davos in Switzerland. There are 6, 12 and 24 hour options and you don't need to decide on your category until after you have started. I wonder how many will continue, knowing they are in a good position
    after the 12 hour, and commit for another 12 hours.

There is also a bike/run alternative and also a bike/run/public transport (well it is Switzerland after all) option.

I will try and post more info when I find the handout I got last week since the website for OLG Chur doesn't have it on there yet.

JK

PS although I said bike/run - walking is also allowed!

13 Brits started in the 8th World Rogaining Champoinships start was at 11am Estonia time today. Informatoin can be found here http://8wrc2008.rogain.ee/ and here http://www.sleepmonsters.com.au/race...p?race_id=4783.

A regular Irish Rogaine has been hosted by Setanta Orienteers.
    Link http://www.setantaorienteers.org/rogaine.html

European Championships will be hosted in Finaland next year above the Artic Circle http://www.rogaining.fi/

International Rogaining Information can be found at www.rogaining.org

Cheers,
    Alan Mansfield
    IRF Development and Promotion Officer