Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cross Country Season

Re: Cross Country Season

Quote Originally Posted by philgreen1968 View Post
    think im going to give this a try this year, north east harrier league that is!
    HI Phil, look forward to seeing you there, great fun, which club do you run with, can't be NFR

I run with the mighty Strollers

NB

Quote Originally Posted by FellMonster View Post
    I hear thetyre very strong about number defacing at the real life Witton Park.
    And running with the number allocated to the FRA Chairman when you are not that person....just ask Swoop.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Wink Re: Cross Country Season

...I hear thetyre very strong about number defacing at the real life Witton Park.
    If a company has paid good money to race organisers to have their name on race numbers (by supporting the event) they expect to be able to see the name. Officials are right to tick off runners who fold their numbers. It's the same size number for all athletes (11yrs to 81yrs) so no one is disadvantaged.
    May be because Witton host Championship events Lancs & Northern there is more ticking off there more than league races.

Maybe Fell Monster had to fold it up to get it to fit on to his cropped top

FellMonster

Getting scarily close to the truth WP.....

In answer to your assertion.......both the Master and I had a splendid day out at Witton and hopefully will return there this year.

FellMonster

Quote Originally Posted by Martins Mrs View Post
    If a company has paid good money to race organisers to have their name on race numbers (by supporting the event) they expect to be able to see the name. Officials are right to tick off runners who fold their numbers. It's the same size number for all athletes (11yrs to 81yrs) so no one is disadvantaged.
    May be because Witton host Championship events Lancs & Northern there is more ticking off there more than league races.
    Yeah, and I reckon that you'd be happy to have them tattoo your ass as well.

And in response to the point that everyone from 11 to 81 had to wear the same number. I wasn't saying it was a disadvantage--> it's just bloody annoying when the number covers your entire vest......heavens know what it feels like for some 11 year old kid......must cover half their body.
    They should give large numbers with sponsors names on to the homeless.....it'd help stave off the winter cold and rain.
    Last edited by FellMonster; 12-09-2008 at 09:22 AM.

it's just bloody annoying when the number covers your entire vest......heavens know what it feels like for some 11 year old kid......must cover half their body.
    You are correct here FM. My daughter has had to fold up the numbers at times or she would be taking on Ben Ainsley!!.

One of the problems though, officials need to be able to read the numbers clearly as they come through the funnel. So the numbers have to be large to start with.

As most leagues are run on a shoestring budget, the supply of free numbers by sponsors is quite an important help.

Catch 22 I'm afraid.

FellMonster

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    You are correct here FM. My daughter has had to fold up the numbers at times or she would be taking on Ben Ainsley!!.

One of the problems though, officials need to be able to read the numbers clearly as they come through the funnel. So the numbers have to be large to start with.

As most leagues are run on a shoestring budget, the supply of free numbers by sponsors is quite an important help.

Catch 22 I'm afraid.
    A mostly fair point you make sir.

What I did see omewhere were organisers using plastic / laminated (a bit like whiteboards they use in schools) numbers which were then immediately collected at the finish funnel - these numbers were durable to weather and had holes punched in them for pins. They could then be reused for many many years to come.

I'm not sure I accept the point about the numbers needing to be large. In your typical xc race, runners are generally well spread and in single file coming through the finish funnel......simply get the officials to take numbers at the end of the finish funnel at their leisure as runners walk through in single file.....problem solved.

Being quite a small chappy myself, I sympathise with your daughter. I started running xc when I was 8 years old, and believe me when I say I was seriously small back in those days. Can't be comfortable.

Are they bigger than these?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ady In Accy View Post
    Are they bigger than these?
    Certainly they are more legible!