Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mountain marathons

Re: Mountain marathons

thanks folks, i'm just reading up and getting to grips with these MM's, if i get this right, they dont give you the map/s until you start along with decription/s. And even then, when you get to the grid reference, the checkpoint can be anywhere in the 100m square, then you turn to description for pin pointing of the checkpoint, is this right? Also, this means you can only start planning your route literally at the start of the race when you get map etc?
    Last edited by Darth domain; 10-09-2008 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyA View Post
    If you want a 'mini' taste of this kind of orienteering event, have a look at the darkandwhite website for their 3hour score events in the peaks in sep-dec.

http://http://www.darkandwhite.co.uk...sp?race_id=215

There's one this w/e which i would be doing but for still recovering from Hellvellyn Triathlon. They are an excellent well organised event which wil properly test your nav ability without getting too sucked in! They also organise the Rab MM which is 2 day event similar to OMM/LAMM but you can solo it;

http://http://www.darkandwhite.co.uk...sp?race_id=181
    cheers bud

Quote Originally Posted by Darth domain View Post
    thanks folks, i'm just reading up and getting to grips with these MM's, if i get this right, they dont give you the map/s until you start along with decription/s. And even then, when you get to the grid reference, the checkpoint can be anywhere in the 100m square, then you turn to description for pin pointing of the checkpoint, is this right? Also, this means you can only start planning your route literally at the start of the race when you get map etc?
    The GR is a six fig reference so usually get within metres of the CP, include the clue into this and you should get there.

Yep you can only start planning your route at the start of the race when the map is passed to you. Word of warning, if a score event don't just run off to the first CP. Plan your rough route at least for the first half of the event. Re-assess frequently based on time left and how you are feeling.

Like an orienteering event, but bigger Go to a local orienteering event - SELOC? Great fun and great training.

That's right Darth domain, but watch your wallet. Once you get into this sort of stuff, you'll want to travel light (2 days with more than 6 kilo's on your back is not fun) so you'll end up spending lots of cash on lightweight gear.

The best bit is they take you to places you didn't know. Checkpoints are never obvious summits, but re-entrants, small knolls and 'stream bend at 500m contour'.

The RAB is still open to entries and (see darkandwhite.co.uk or rab.co.uk) and this year will be covering the hills south of Caldbeck and north of Skiddaw and Blencathra.

Good luck
    See the light in the night

one the great things about mm's is the numerous different catigories to enter. Most events you can enter as a 'walker' or do a shorter course, which is great for the first time. Sometimes the best way to learn is from doing ....and making mistakes!

Also, you get to watch the elite and pick up tips from them as they leg-it past you and at the mid-camp as they unpack their unfeasibly small bags!

mappa is right about the light weight obsession that will inevitably being!

Quote Originally Posted by cheese View Post
    one the great things about mm's is the numerous different catigories to enter. Most events you can enter as a 'walker' or do a shorter course, which is great for the first time. Sometimes the best way to learn is from doing ....and making mistakes!

Also, you get to watch the elite and pick up tips from them as they leg-it past you and at the mid-camp as they unpack their unfeasibly small bags!

mappa is right about the light weight obsession that will inevitably being!
    well, i've already been looking at tents! i fairly ok with my nav, but i would agree, mistakes help one to learn, i wold be looking at D category anyhow, running, but still at sort of novice stage. One thing though, i assume some novices tend to take off as soon as they get their maps at race beginning with no pre planning, whereas as mentioned above, its best to plan a rough route?

Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post
    That's right Darth domain, but watch your wallet. Once you get into this sort of stuff, you'll want to travel light (2 days with more than 6 kilo's on your back is not fun) so you'll end up spending lots of cash on lightweight gear.

The best bit is they take you to places you didn't know. Checkpoints are never obvious summits, but re-entrants, small knolls and 'stream bend at 500m contour'.

The RAB is still open to entries and (see darkandwhite.co.uk or rab.co.uk) and this year will be covering the hills south of Caldbeck and north of Skiddaw and Blencathra.

Good luck
    cheers bud, i kinda like this description thing, keeps you on your toes and your mind going.
    I can't make this RAB, i would need a little time off work, which is too short of notice However, i'll have a look at mini marathons
    Last edited by Darth domain; 11-09-2008 at 11:03 AM.

ok (shivers with fear) i have entered the RAB mini marathon on 7/12/08, so, at least i can get an idea of the pressure and improve my nav, any tips would be great e.g., is it best to try to get to the more "remote" checkpoints for extra points as a beginner, or just random?

One thing though, i assume some novices tend to take off as soon as they get their maps at race beginning with no pre planning, whereas as mentioned above, its best to plan a rough route?
    For fixed route courses (e.g. LAMM D) you only need to plan the first leg at the start, you can plan the other legs on the move. Some people mark all controls on the map before leaving the start, others only mark one or two and mark the rest on the way to the first control to save time.

For score courses (e.g. Dark and White) you need to mark all controls at the start and work out a rough strategy before starting. You can refine the strategy as you go round. Ideally, your later controls will allow you the option of cutting short and heading straight for the finish if running out of time.

is it best to try to get to the more "remote" checkpoints for extra points as a beginner, or just random?
    Depends how remote the big ones are, and whether you can get more points by mopping up a large number of smaller, closer controls. Down to the course planning really. It always feels good to get one or two of the big point controls! I don't think it matters whether you are a beginner or not. The only thing is, if you go for the big ones you have to be sure you can get back in time i.e. nav and fitness are good enough.

A tip for nav is get hold of the book "Mountain Navigation for Runners" by Martin Bagness. A new edition is available as an e-book from Lakes Runner.