Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: changing clubs

changing clubs

can someone please offer guidance on requirements for changing clubs.... ie notice periods etc?

Re: changing clubs

UKA rules require you to give notice to your current club in writing. No notice period required. Your club will have the option of asking that you be prevented from competing IN TEAM EVENTS for your new club for up to 6 months if they feel that your move would disadvantage them (this is really to stop runners swapping from one club to another just to join a winning team). In my club we have never enforced this option and in fact as Secretary for the past 6 years I have written supportive letters to allow our ex-members to compete for their new club straight away.

Just one thought - have you considered remaining second claim for your current club. Probably not worthwhile if they're both similar ie both road running clubs or both fell clubs, but as you're allowed to have a first and a second claim club it's an option open to you. You would always have to run for your first claim club in team competitions if your second claim club was also eligible to compete.

My previous club (for which I retain second claim membership) didn't object to my move, and approval of my transfer came through from UKA within a month.

'Ow do. Just am in the process of changing my first claim club. My experience so far:

- Contacted my old club and resigned
    - Completed the "change of 1st claim" form and had it signed by the relevant club committee members
    - Contacted UK Athletics (see www.ukathletics.org.uk) who informed me that there's a meeting later on this month and, all being well, my claim could be approved then.

Potentially, I could be able to represent my new club as early as October...

Simple. All this "6 month waiting period" sounds like scaremongering to me!

Quote Originally Posted by jodg View Post
    All this "6 month waiting period" sounds like scaremongering to me!
    Not Quite

http://www.noeaa-athletics.org.uk/Fi..._august_08.doc

This is what the committee come up with. You can see how people are cleared at different dates on the link.

Sometimes a club may ask for the committee to give a full 6 month ban, and they sometimes do, but I would say the norm is for a 3 month ban.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Sometimes a club may ask for the committee to give a full 6 month ban, and they sometimes do, but I would say the norm is for a 3 month ban.
    Yes, I can understand the 3 months (more than notice periods at work!), just the 6 months seemed excessive! In 6 months I'd be in another category....

Quote Originally Posted by Skarsnik View Post
    can someone please offer guidance on requirements for changing clubs.... ie notice periods etc?
    Apply for an exemption to the AAA, I changed from SRC to DPFR early this year, requested an exemption due to moving into the "V" cat and had 6 mths reduced to 7 weeks..you pay £10 for the priviledge but if racing is your thing then you get to rep. your new club quicker...
    Consider yourself lightly; consider the world deeply.

In the good old days you used to get a full nine months.
    When I moved from ECH to Salford we had to fight real hard to get it reduced to six months.
    @roadrunneraj #gohardorgohome

Call me naive but why cant we have a system like - resign from your old club, join a new one, run for them? Its things like this that seriously worry me about AAA, UKAthletics or whatever, they make take it very seriously for some of their events (qualifications for timekeepers etc) but from a fell running perspective does it matter?