Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Friendlier Fell Runners

Banned

Re: Friendlier Fell Runners

Ha ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by OneHillWonder View Post
    someone said to me as I was staggering up a hill in my last fell race, and she came past me - not that much faster "No one forced you to enter this race!" I thought that was well nasty but I realise it may not have been meant as it came across.

Other than that I think you're all quite a nice bunch really
    Point 'em out to us onehill and we'll very friendily chuck 'em down the hill
    ...there's a hill nearby missing its fool...

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Thug View Post
    Friendly my @rse.

Friendly's just another part of Halifax.
    ....so there's at least one Friendly fellrunner I know then

Master

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Pretty friendly yes, when compared to road runners, but I think ultra runners are the friendliest of all. There seems to be more of a camaraderie, general respect and willingness to help each other, I love the atmosphere in ultras. I suppose as most run very much for the challenge and are competing with themselves more than other people.
    I go along with that.

But i can`t say that i have noticed a lot of difference between the friendliness or not between road runners and fell runners, but then if i run a road race i tend to run smaller club organised events predominately marathons, with fields from about a 100 to 500 the exception being Snowdon Marathon and Lochness marathons which usually exceed 1000 runners and i find that the camaraderie amongst runners is still there (maybe the nature of the course) i have seen assistance etc offered to ailing runners on both fell and road.

I think the smaller events are the friendliest be they fell or road my worst experience has to have been the GNR a few years ago apart from the club runners who new what the score was i found myself surrounded by nervous folk that had no idea what the crack was and hence all the usual questions like what time you looking for etc, put me of off large commercially organised events for life

Which you do not get at the smaller events, because you usually line up with experienced runners a lot of whom you have raced with before and you know each others capabilities therefore the comments revolve around the excuses for the poor time you are going to put in on the race i.e. i haven`t raced for months or i have just had a virus or injury etc etc.

For my part i enjoy the company of runners be they road or fell and if i find myself amongst what appears to be a miserable bunch then i try to break the ice after all communication is a two way thing.

But yes Ultra runners are the Bees Knees when it comes to Camaraderie
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by OneHillWonder View Post
    someone said to me as I was staggering up a hill in my last fell race, and she came past me - not that much faster "No one forced you to enter this race!" I thought that was well nasty but I realise it may not have been meant as it came across.

Other than that I think you're all quite a nice bunch really
    Perhaps she was muttering to herself!.......

anyway if that was the race at ambergate one hill - that wasnt a 'proper' fellrace in my opinion - there was too much dog poo in it!!!

yes it was that race daleside - have to say everyone else I spoke to was absolutely lovely

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Pretty friendly yes, when compared to road runners, but I think ultra runners are the friendliest of all. There seems to be more of a camaraderie, general respect and willingness to help each other, I love the atmosphere in ultras. I suppose as most run very much for the challenge and are competing with themselves more than other people.

I'd agree. I've been part of a support team for the West highland Way race, and really noticed it, we offered drinks and stuff to runners that went past while we were waiting for ours. You do it and hope other will do the same for you. (or your runner in this case)

Maybe its because these are the only other people who live on the sameplane of existence that you do?
    New, young and ignorant.

Caught in the struggle of boy vs father.

Agree Xenos, I've been out walking and offered food etc to a fell runner who looked in need of it.I know i'd be chuffed if someone did the same for me when i'm chinstrapped and have no grub. let's face it , we've all done it: underestimated how much food we need on long runs.

Strangely i find the same thing with cyclists, roadies are often a bit too serious and the mountain bikers find that having fun is the most important part of an event. Could be all in the mud?