Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking after my new Walshes

Re: Looking after my new Walsh

I usually use a stream and hang em in the shed. My walshes have started falling apart after 30 miles! This is the last pair i will ever buy.
    Still too heavy to run

Quote Originally Posted by Highy View Post
    Hosepipe them + legs when I get home, put em in the airing cupboard, usually dry enough to run in next day.
    Although I'm not sure the airing cupboard's such a good idea?

I've read somewhere that peat deposits are acidic and will rot stitching over time.
    How do you get upstairs to bed with your legs in the airing cupboard?

Stolly

Good question! My Walsh uppers always used to be knackered long before the soles.

Since getting orthotics, things have changed. Uppers hardly seem to wear at all. Must (I guess) be something to do with a "better" footfall which is stressing parts of the uppers less. (Mine always used to go in the instep and I over-pronate massively; bent fibulas and very flat feet).

It's not just the Walshes either. I also use 270s and 330s and Salomon Speedcross and the story is the same with them.

I do clean them a bit tho' and enjoy annoying the neighbours by bashing them together to get the crap out of the studs.

A passing benefit which at least compensates for going through 2 sets of orthotics a year.

It is funny how everyone seems to wear out walshes in a different way - cos there's so little to them I suppose.
    I'm gonna get that cwazy gwouse...

Does anybody get their Walshes re-soled? Is it worth doing? I've noticed that the soles on mine (first pair of Walshes I've owned) seem to be wearing down quite fast, but the uppers still look fine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Navigator View Post
    How do you get upstairs to bed with your legs in the airing cupboard?
    Airing cupboard's upstairs too

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    What gets me is that some runners supposedly get their Walshes resoled . Really how exactly do they manage to wear out the studs but preserve the uppers, presumably in some kind of pristine condition. I'm always wary of runners at fell races with super smart and clean fell shoes, especially if they're men - I bet they're the sort that clean their cars outside and in on both Saturdays and Sundays and have...... (I can barely steel myself to say it) tidy garages .
    Stolly ive got one pair thats on the third resole mate, they seem okay.
    The best ( Well chattyist most knackered pair ive seen are Yiannis's)
    Mine are possibly spanking compared to those.

Post Re: Looking after my new Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by BGSec View Post
    Stolly

Good question! My Walsh uppers always used to be knackered long before the soles.

Since getting orthotics, things have changed. Uppers hardly seem to wear at all. Must (I guess) be something to do with a "better" footfall which is stressing parts of the uppers less. (Mine always used to go in the instep and I over-pronate massively; bent fibulas and very flat feet).

A passing benefit which at least compensates for going through 2 sets of orthotics a year.
    The instep of my shoes, particularly the stitching by the heel, wares frustratingly fast too -my otherwise very comfortable walsh PBs have worn too fast to contemplate another pair. May i ask what orthotics you use to rectify said problem, and if you go through 2 pairs of these a year can you still afford to enter any races?

I know you all use fell shoes such as the walshes. But i use asics trail shoes, ive done 100 miles in them and they are still as good as new.
    So thats an idea for you even though they may not give you as good grip and proper fell shoes give you on the sheers rocks?.

How much doe walshes cost btw?.

Oh and can you take the inner-soles out of your walshes. Because i can with my trail shoes and that speeds up drying abit after ive blasted them with my thumb over the end of the hose pipe