Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Picos de Europa

Re: Picos de Europa

Quote Originally Posted by AlP View Post
    Aye - just been working in the Picos last week - it's an awesome spot & great for training too (long as you like rough ground + lots of verticals...) Race traverses the range basically. Quite a few pics I've taken round area here
    That's right. The race traverses the three "massifs" of Picos which means that there are 3 big big climbs and their respective descents. No peaks though...(wow! I just read that bit about your mum on the Naranjo de Bulnes ) And the total vertical height gain is 5000m not 10,000.

Quote Originally Posted by bierzobaggie View Post
    And the total vertical height gain is 5000m not 10,000.
    Oh well, that's OK then!!

Hmmm...........was wondering what to set my mind to after the Trail des Aiguilles Rouges.

Another step up though.

Those pictures on the Spanish website are fabulous....absolutely wonderful. What a day out that must be.

Not sure about the ascent height. Our guide said 10,000 - which seemed an awfull lot . I also found 10,000 mentioned on some website about the run (I couldn't understand anything else on the site). Official site says 5,000. I guess that is correct, but I think anyone considering the run ought to double check, you know what these continentals are like.

Difference is between a gentle jog out and a decent days running
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

The 10,000m they refer to is the sum of ascents and descents. The true total ascent height for the race is actually less than 5000m
    Here are the stats....

Travesera integral Picos de Europa
    Start: Vega de Enol (1080m)
    Finish Sotres (1045m)
    Distance 60km
    Ascent 4540m
    Descent 4505m
    Maximum altitude 2382m (Collada Bonita)
    Minimum altitude 460m (Caín)
    Longest climb: Caín to Horcada Caín via Dobresengos (1900m ascent for this section!..it took me 4 hours)

As you can see the total ascent has already fallen from 10,000 to 4540. By next June it'll be a stroll in the park for you!
    Last edited by bierzobaggie; 20-09-2008 at 03:37 PM.

Thanks BB, that clarifies it, I couldn't quite grasp where the 2 totally different figures came from. Never mind how anyone completed it (at 10,000) in the times given. Mind you the longest climb is ...........quite long .
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

When I was in the Pyrenees a few weeks ago I came across this - now that's what I call a climb (but at least you stop at the top!

La Cremaillere

8th June 2008Departing Luchon (630m altitude) and finishing at Superbagneres (1,800m altitude), this is a very tough 5.3km forest trail race with a total climb of 1,170m. The average gradient is 21% and includes a vertical kilometre, 4.5km into the race at an altitude of 1,630m - there is a sign to warn you!!

Vertical kilometre? Up ladders or similar or just ridiculously steep ground?

Be much more fun if it was up and down, and only a little over 10k!