Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cancer

Re: Cancer

No word from you in a while, Sapper.......hope that no news etc.
    Let us know how you're doing!?
    Best.
    X.

from past experience, do the things you enjoy, stay as stress free as you can, don't dwell on things and try live your life as normally as possible, drink apple juice it helps with the chemo - don't eat extra strong mints - burns up and down!
    Good luck with it
    Last edited by wynn; 02-10-2008 at 12:32 PM.
    When all else fails and your soul needs a lift - head to the hills

Dave North ran KIMM whilst having chemo... did rather well if i remember right
    When all else fails and your soul needs a lift - head to the hills

Thanks everyone, I'm still here.

Things have been full on this week: travelling across countries, meeting up with doctors and getting things planned. Made a lot of progress though and now feel like I've recced the course, got my map, compass and full body gear sorted to deal with the clag when it comes down (which it will). No doubt that it will be challenging, but I haven't not finished a course yet, and I'll be buggered if I coming in with a dnf this time.

I'm a few weeks into the post-diagnosis phase, mentally it has been a challenging time, but the adaptive capabilities of the human mind are amazing and with support of everyone around me, yourselves included, I am in a good state of mind and working on keeping it there. I know it's going to be uncomfortable, but as many of you have intimated, that's what fell runners do best. Shit, we revel in discomfort. If my body is capable of getting through it, it will.

More later...
    Last edited by sapper; 26-09-2008 at 04:30 PM.

That's the spirit Sapper, good to hear from you.

I'm guessing from the number of views to the thread people are interested but maybe not confident in the right words to use to help/console/encourage/advise you.

I for one have no personal experience of cancer other than from elderly relatives as a small child, and have also been at a loss as to what to say (which is a first ) but I wish you all the very best for the future and good luck in that clag!

emmi.

Sapper your positive mental attitude is fantastic and an inspiration and it can only stand you in good stead for the fight ahead. You're right, it is amazing how the mind can adapt and deal with these things, my mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer in March and her outlook on life seems to be the best I've ever known! (In fact it was the fact that she now has to wear compression socks all the time because of a DVT that got her down the most! )

Stay as positive as you are now, we will all be thinking of you I am sure

Lifted my heart to hear from you, Sapper........a busy preparatory phase!
    You sound like you are getting some good care/info. and I hope that this continues to be the case: much is down to the skill, ability and courage of our medical teams (in diagnosis and treatment).

Travelling across countries sound like a journey enough in itself! Hope that you are also regularly posting on the "Today's Resting" thread!!

I'll hope for a safe journey for you through all this........I'm sure the clag will indeed come down and fatigue play its part, but as you say:- that's what we do, it's part of our lives and has some familiarity.

The sense of KBO (Keep Buggering On) is keen in the fell runner and borders on the stubborn on occasion.......but I'll take that if it's the far edge of determined!
    Best!
    K.

Best wishes Sapper , the thought's of Mrs C and I are with you, if everyones good will helps you to cope , it's as good as beat.
    my nose runs faster than my feet.
    www.ukfellponies.org.uk

Master and MR

Sapper ive found it hard to post on here as my Auntie goes for results tommorow and its not looking good so didnt want to put a downer on the thread.
    I think its in her lymph glands. So cried a bit last night.

I wish you well
    Daz

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by sapper View Post
    Thanks everyone, I'm still here.

Things have been full on this week: travelling across countries, meeting up with doctors and getting things planned. Made a lot of progress though and now feel like I've recced the course, got my map, compass and full body gear sorted to deal with the clag when it comes down (which it will). No doubt that it will be challenging, but I haven't not finished a course yet, and I'll be buggered if I coming in with a dnf this time.

I'm a few weeks into the post-diagnosis phase, mentally it has been a challenging time, but the adaptive capabilities of the human mind are amazing and with support of everyone around me, yourselves included, I am in a good state of mind and working on keeping it there. I know it's going to be uncomfortable, but as many of you have intimated, that's what fell runners do best. Shit, we revel in discomfort. If my body is capable of getting through it, it will.

More later...
    In fact what ive said is not enough
    I think your strength is amazing, an inspiration to everyone on here.