Thread: Need an opinion.

Need an opinion.

Right well its my first 10k next sunday.
    I was wondering whether i should go for a long run this saturday (10+ miles) or should i do a route thats about the same length as a 10k.
    If i do the shorter option i suppose it will allow me to maybe get a comfortable run in next week on the run up to the race. And also i will get a rough idea of what time i might get.
    But if i did the 10+ mile route my legs may not recover properly until later in the week where i would really wanting to be resting for the race rather than cramming a run in a day or two before the race.

Re: Need an opinion.

Could have done with a little more info TBH, such as current weekly mileage divided by how many days of running? also what do you currently consider to be a long run?

Guessing you are something of a beginner and that the 10k is a "big thing" to you, I would suggest you run less than your current long run distance (so if thats 10miles then dont do 10 miles).

If you want to run just 6 miles but quite hard then that should be OK as long as you have ran that far that hard previously. Otherwise save your effort for the race day.
    Dont worry about knowing in advance what time you might achieve. You'll almost certainly just automatically settle in to the right pace for your current fitness level.
    If you somehow get it wrong and either blow up and have to crawl home or perhaps even get to the end fresh and feeling you hadnt given your all, then dont beat yourself up over it, just put it down to experience and take that into the next race you do.

Many on here will say how much they dislike road running. I prefer the fells nowadays but basically I just love running full stop be it fell, road, forest, track. When I first started I really enjoyed charting the progress I was making in races and training and I suspect that is where you are now?
    Be careful not to race too often - You may be OK, but I found I was racing every weekend but not getting any faster. Probably was tired from the midweek training and toolittle recovery.

Anyway, thats my twopenneth. I'm sure someone who actually knows what theyr'e talking about will be along in a moment.
    Event Photography
    www.athletesinaction.co.uk

Well im a beginner when it comes to racing but im still fairly fit when it comes to general health and fitness.

At the mo im running about 3 times a week, havent been able to get any more than that because i play cricket at the weekend (seasons just finished).
    My weekly milage isnt that high really, im only reaching 20 miles. But i am swimming, gyming and cycling often during the week.

The 10k isnt necessarily the 'big thing' to me its just that i find that distance a good one, i dont like to spnd too much time on the road as it get quite boring ha, but as its happening in my local city i thought i might give it a go.

I think i'll go round the 6 miles route tonight as i havent done that specific distance in a while as i have a few off-road/cross country routte near me that are like 4 miles or 8+.

I think it's too late to Cram now, just do a good but not too hard 6 miles this weekend and an easy run during the week or you will be shattered for next Sunday, good luck and enjoy.
    Stephen Batley Skyrac AC,
    Specific,Measurable,Attainable,Relevant and Time-Bound

Super Moderator

Agree with other posters not to do too much now before your race Al. I've only done a few 10Ks on the road but always find it's a fair way to run hard so my advice is don't start off too quickly. Good luck; I reckon you might surprise yourself!

If you do the six miles then it might be an idea to do a couple of miles at race pace or a perceived effort level. This will give you a good feel of what the race may feel like and a give agood perception of your current fitness and recovery times. If you are doing six miles then go for a 1 1/2 mile warm up then 1 mile at 90% effort and jog recovery for 2 minutes, do this three times then warm down for 1 1/2 miles.

Where abouts are you in Preston ?

Similar to above...
    If it were me, I would do a hardish 6-1/2 to 7 mile this weekend, then a couple of easy runs through the week.
    Take it easy for the first few miles of the race and don't be tempted to go with the 'fast' lads at the start.

Above all.....enjoy it

It'll be Nee Bother

Ta.
    My race plan is just to run round, my normal running pace is an 8 minute mile and i'll try to pick up the pace and km or two before the finish.
    Ive been told its a hilly course so dont expect any pb's...but i'll be getting one ....but maybe not a brillaint one ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkarlo View Post

Where abouts are you in Preston ?
    .....Hoghton. About 4 miles south-east of the city centre.